Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think he has shown how important a top forward is to a team. Not just goals but his movement, non stop running, hold up play. He is a real nightmare for defenders and brings wingers and midfielders in to the game superbly.  Last season we really missed this kind of player. 

just seen on MOTD, in the Villa team Watkins is 2nd only to McGinn in km's covered, and top for sprints in total.

For info, km's top 3 were 1) McGinn, 2) Watkins, 3) grealish.

sprints was 1) Watkins, 2 ) Grealish, 3) Cash.

• Like 1

Love the guy. So much, much, much better than I thought he was. His all around game is fantastic.

Regarding the lack of goals in past few games, I'm not worried at all - genuinely been very unlucky. They will come.

51 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

just seen on MOTD, in the Villa team Watkins is 2nd only to McGinn in km's covered, and top for sprints in total.

982501647_ScreenShot2020-12-27at00_35_36.thumb.jpg.c203689daeb60cbfb94b090561471674.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Not sure he's a natural finisher, but he's a great player. Loved seeing him still running the Palace defence ragged after the clock had turned red in the second half, and he and Grealish look telepathic on the break at times.

I must admit I laughed aloud at how he managed not to score those chances Grealish served him up at the end of the game, but the rest of the team is getting goals as a result of his play. My only worry is for his confidence if the goal drought continues, so I'm really glad he got man of the match - hopefully it reinforces how highly rated he is by the fans.

Exactly this.

Our team isn’t much different from last season, except him up top.  

3 assists.  Better than 1 goal in my book. 

• Thanks 1

not many strikers get Motm without scoring......The goals will undoubtedly come.....He was magnificent today.....some of Jacks through balls were sublime too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bose said:

Love the guy. So much, much, much better than I thought he was. His all around game is fantastic.

Regarding the lack of goals in past few games, I'm not worried at all - genuinely been very unlucky. They will come.

The only person bothered, is him....shows he is driven.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

Exactly this.

Clearly Martinez and Cash are massive upgrades, and Traore and Barkley give us a lot more options besides running everything through Jack.

But I think you're right that Watkins is the player who has had the biggest impact on how we're able to play. Now we can hit teams on the counter, we can play it long, we can drive through the middle, we can do little passing patterns down the wing. He always makes the right run, whether it's offering for the ball, running in behind, peeling off to the side to drag a defender out of position, or bumping a defender under the high ball.

Smith's system makes huge demands on the striker. Wesley was occasionally showing signs of being able to play that system (Man Utd away was probably his best performance in the conventional lone striker role) and I actually thought Samatta deserved a bit more credit for his movement in the back end of last season. But Watkins is doing the whole routine, every game, for 90 mins. A little more technical quality and he would be an elite striker.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

not many strikers get Motm without scoring......The goals will undoubtedly come.....He was magnificent today.....some of Jacks through balls were sublime too.

That ball played near the end where Jack cut back outside the box and Ollie made the diagonal run was sexual

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

And they say Grealish is lazy.

44 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

And they say Grealish is lazy.

Most of them are either Dingles, Tesco Bags, Leeds, or, well no need to mention them actually. They also keep saying that he's a diver. I'm not sure how would someone who uses his ability to win fouls is considered a diver? a dive is when you fall without contacts, but being clever and winning fouls or even do some plays with an intent to win a foul from the beginning isn't a dive at all. But let them say what they want, and let us and Jack answer then in the pitch.

• Haha 1

It can't be overstated how much his hold up play and channel running opens up the game for the wingers playing beside him. The massive improvement seen in our wingers (not to take anything away from them) has so much to do with the way Watkins creates space for them.

He may be hot and cold as a finisher (and that will improve with time IMO) but the dynamism he brings to our attack is massive.

• Like 1

Overall he was fantastic yesterday. He is a great outlet for us with his running and strength. His hold up play and forward play is so intelligent. 

Watching it back on MOTD I can’t believe, and I’m gutted he never managed to score. He just needs one to bounce in off his arse to get going again. He’s been so unfortunate with offsides and woodwork. A bit more luck and he’d be on about 12/13 league goals already!

The good thing is he won’t stop working or let his head drop. The goals will come. He’s in the positions to score which encouraging. 

7 hours ago, Thug said:

Exactly this.

While I take your point, credit should also be Given to the likes of Trez, Targett, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, AEG and even Grealish, who are all almost different players from last season. 

The improvement and Maturation is astounding. It's a bit what we were hoping to see after Lambert's first season but didn't. 

But yeah, Watkins up front makes a hell of a difference! 

Dean Saunders used to run tirelessly and have a thing for hitting the woodwork.   Ollie will be doing well to emulate him.

I love his enthusiasm and that he is hard on himself.  Still only played 13 at this level he is going to get better and better.

Â