Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Lacks abit of aggression. 

Unfortunately top players like Ferrando Torres, just needed one chance all game and he could score. At the moment we need 5 chances per attacker to get one goal. 

Lacks a bit of strength for me - when he gets shoulder to shoulder, he tries to shift himself and the ball wide - rather than powering though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

The one thing I'll add is yes, he's only scored in 3 of the 15 games this season, but anyone with eyes and a sense of sporting integrity can confirm he should have 2 more on that tally. His current goal count doesn't tell the full story.

Sadly it does. He also missed a pen if you want the whole story.

The lad has played all 90 minutes in all 15 of our PL matches, plus minutes in the Cup, in his first top-flight season and in a truncated season. Think he's allowed to look a little tired at times, like he did tonight. Lay off him.

• Like 4

Not writing him off though - we took a gamble that he may be able to replicate his form at a higher level - or even a fraction of it. Its a bit of pickle because the blokes supplying him (AEG Traroe)  are very erratic with there final ball. He's clearly low on confidence and snatching at half chances. Given time I would hope he develops into our Jamie Vardy - but right now will settle for one bouncing of his ass into the net.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

This guy needs a rest.

Would be amazed if Keinan doesn't start against Pool

Hes a confidence player though - Smith knows this thats why he rarely gets subbed and Smith even had him taking penalties earlier in the season. To me dropping him in and out of team would be the end of him.

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This guy needs a rest.

Would be amazed if Keinan doesn't start against Pool

No No No!

Yes maybe for a rest but leave Davis off.  Rather Jack, Traore and Anwar upfront.

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

he's short on confidence, and we've played lot's of games in a short space of time. Rest him, he's also young ish and in first full year in the league. He'll be back. 

Completely agree!

2 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Ploughing a lone furrow up front he’s been excellent and his work rate phenomenal. Sure, not his best game tonight but let’s not forget, it was away at Man Utd. Only 6 days ago he tore the Palace defence apart. Criticising him for tonight’s performance is extremely harsh. 

Yes absolutely. I've seen some ridiculous OTT comments. We shouldn't disregard the quality of opposition today no matter how irritating they are. 

There's no fitter player in the squad than Ollie.

The game is a learning curve for him. United bullied and kicked him across the park, he didn't get the protection from the referee.

That header was a big miss. He also created a great chance for Troare in the first half.

Ollie would benefit running off the centre forward into the space, United effectively blocked those channels.

He will come away a stronger player.

It was one of those games.

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hes a confidence player though - Smith knows this thats why he rarely gets subbed and Smith even had him taking penalties earlier in the season. To me dropping him in and out of team would be the end of him.

I assume a long term ambition of his is to break into the England squad, going to have to get used to it e.g. if he starts a friendly and is then back on the bench for actual qualifier as Jack was recently.

Part of parcel being at top 6 club aswell, Tammy Abraham been on bench plenty of times for Chelsea as has Giroud.

Not wanting to buy another good striker as it might hurt the one we have playing feelings is a non starter argument given we're on the road to being serious top level club again.

14 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Ploughing a lone furrow up front he’s been excellent and his work rate phenomenal. Sure, not his best game tonight but let’s not forget, it was away at Man Utd. Only 6 days ago he tore the Palace defence apart. Criticising him for tonight’s performance is extremely harsh. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The goals will come, the work rate is there.

He could really do with some support though, not on the pitch as such but someone to come in and take the burden off him. Allow him to go out wide in games and play with less pressure; or rest up for the last 20 minutes.

• Like 3

Â