Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, villa4europe said:

The athletic this morning giving stats that's he's applying more pressure in the final 3rd than any other player in the PL

Our good defence and clean sheets stats are starting with him 

Not what anyone would expect, unfortunately he'll ultimately be judged by goals but he's improved us massively as a team with his off the ball stuff so it's good to see at least some sort of stat prove it 

Yeah that's the part I've been most impressed by with him. Makes such a huge difference.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The athletic this morning giving stats that's he's applying more pressure in the final 3rd than any other player in the PL.

You can really see it as well. Runs, often sprints, around for 90 mins solid.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I really really wanted him to take the penalty yesterday. The game was won and it would have boosted his confidence 

I doubt he will ever take another one again. He's missed four of his last six. Unfortunately taking a penalty is more likely to harm his confidence than boost it 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I really really wanted him to take the penalty yesterday. The game was won and it would have boosted his confidence 

Could have destroyed him further if he missed his 5th pen out of 7.

• Like 1

Someone compared him to Andre Green the other day and I can see why. Obviously he’s a better player but he has the look of a youth player promoted to the first team getting his big chance. He doesn’t look like he belongs there just yet, neither does he seem to believe he belongs at this level.

Very unlucky to be ruled out yesterday and against West Ham, which was either a goal or a penalty. He loves to play on the shoulder and this current VAR system penalises that as level is now essentially offside.

Won a great little flick on to Traore who then assisted Anwar. His work off the ball is also massive for us, the opposition players don't get a moments peace, you can see he's still not quite on everyone's wave length yet as our balls from the wing have a tendency to land where he isn't but I'm sure it will click and he'll be a monster.

39 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If he scored last night, would you trust him with the next one when we are 1-1 against Crystal Palace at 80mins in? 

And if he took and missed that one, how low would his confidence be then?

It's smart to leave him from pens for a little while, I'm sure he will take them in the long term future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The athletic this morning giving stats that's he's applying more pressure in the final 3rd than any other player in the PL

Our good defence and clean sheets stats are starting with him 

Not what anyone would expect, unfortunately he'll ultimately be judged by goals but he's improved us massively as a team with his off the ball stuff so it's good to see at least some sort of stat prove it 

Can believe this. He causes a lot of panic and mistakes by defenders by his closing down. It's excellent. Also has a great knack of getting between the defender and ball in high ball situations.

I think he is doing brilliant. Bizarrely for all our chances created, not many really good chances are falling to Ollie. 

• Like 3

Ollie was excellent yesterday and doing everything right other than converting a chance. We just need to make sure that he doesnt have to drop off excessively and then keep getting the ball to his feet where he can do the damage. It must be frustrating for him but his general play is great. 

Workhorse wins the ball up the pitch any albion defender dwelling on the ball him and grealish were like  a  swarm of bees around them, Elghazi and Traore pressed well to but you never feel like they are going to win the ball when pressing Ollie most of the time does and that’s invaluable to the team

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its a bit like Firminho at Liverpool. Doesnt always score but Liverpool are a worse side without him. 

spot on.

His decoy run, for Traore's goal, was typical top striker stuff.....very intelligent and unselfish, typical of a player, reading the play....thats the sort of movement,we want.

He is 5 minutes in the Prem....He will be ok....just needs to work on a few things, it will come.

I think he will be a really good player for us.

• Like 4

Brilliant again last night despite having very little service to his feet. 

The key part about his game is that he doesn't just wait for service, he goes looking for the ball and pressures the defenders. His movement off the ball is good and it creates openings for players as we saw for Traore's goal.

He's intercepted some great balls in the last few games in the middle of the opposition half which has allowed us to turn the play over quickly. One of them will come off soon.

The goals will come, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Can believe this. He causes a lot of panic and mistakes by defenders by his closing down. It's excellent. Also has a great knack of getting between the defender and ball in high ball situations.

I think he is doing brilliant. Bizarrely for all our chances created, not many really good chances are falling to Ollie. 

but, you do have to look for them too.....being in the right place, is not luck, its an art.....he will be working on that.

Ollie is still a wet day, in this league.....He is learning.....I see a few faults, but i see plenty of good stuff too....his decoy run for traore, was top drawer....his goal chalked off was extremely unfortunate.....that is ruining football.

I have no worries about him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Brilliant again last night despite having very little service to his feet. 

The key part about his game is that he doesn't just wait for service, he goes looking for the ball and pressures the defenders. His movement off the ball is good and it creates openings for players as we saw for Traore's goal.

He's intercepted some great balls in the last few games in the middle of the opposition half which has allowed us to turn the play over quickly. One of them will come off soon.

The goals will come, no doubt about it.

his header was instrumental in us scoring the first goal too.....He does a lot of unselfish work, as you say.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

but, you do have to look for them too.....being in the right place, is not luck, its an art.....he will be working on that.

Ollie is still a wet day, in this league.....He is learning.....I see a few faults, but i see plenty of good stuff too....his decoy run for traore, was top drawer....his goal chalked off was extremely unfortunate.....that is ruining football.

I have no worries about him.

Yeah agreed with all this. I don't think it's fair to say he isn't getting service because we're creating heaps of chances and have literally the most creative player in the league alongside him. You have to be there to get them though, it works both ways. He seems the type that constantly strives to improve and I'm sure it's something he'll be working on tirelessly anyway.

He's been great otherwise. Said it after the Burnley game but he presses brilliantly and is as much of a reason as anyone for why we're so much harder to play through now, and for someone who was primarily a winger before wins a fair amount of physical battles he probably has no right.

Â