Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, Seal said:

I think I recall Alan Shearer saying something along the lines of - after Kane, the next English striker to come along will be Ollie Watkins. He loves him! (And so do I)

Yeah I think people forget how good Shearer’s all round game was. He was forever taking on full backs and whipping crosses on, and had a fair bit of pace in his younger days. Also a nuisance like Watkins.

Obviously the game has changed and Ollie can’t spend the whole game elbowing defenders in the face, but think they have a lot of similar qualities.

Played good against a Chelsea side not giving much to any of our frontline ,they had to work extra hard in other areas.

Watkins even made some very good defensive stops.

Currently our wide men are more goalscorers than providers which will affect Watkins' numbers but outside of that he's **** brilliant and will only get better. Seeing the improvements in Douglas, Trez and Konsa to name a few gets me very excited to see how Watkins will develop.

Guy has some engine on him. Another 90 minutes of putting the opponents defenders and GK under constant pressure. He's played 90 minutes every game of the season and I hope he can keep doing it, at least until we get another attacker in who can do the job because it's essential. Not going to say he's our most important player, but the work he puts in is a huge reason to why our defense is looking so much better this season and that the team are under less pressure.

Nice if he could score a couple more goals, he's earned it.

14 hours ago, AV82 said:

Currently our wide men are more goalscorers than providers which will affect Watkins' numbers but outside of that he's **** brilliant and will only get better. Seeing the improvements in Douglas, Trez and Konsa to name a few gets me very excited to see how Watkins will develop.

a good comparison might be Firmino in recent seasons, he did most of the work for Mane and Salah to hit incredible numbers from out wide

• Like 2

Absolutely love this guy, was genuinely upset that some fans were criticising him recently (unfairly imo). For the people who say he hasn't scored in so many games, he has scored but VAR unreasonably ruled them out, nothing he could do more.

• Like 1

He has a tremendous engine on him and once again gave his all.  Has been unlucky when it comes to hitting the back of the net, but that will come I have no doubt. Just keep on doing what you're doing Ollie.

• Like 1

Nice piece today:

“Ollie has a hunger to score goals, which is what I love about him. He also has a hunger to improve and keep getting better and what you see on a match-day is what you see on the training ground,” said Smith, the Villa head coach.

“He has an infectious attitude that rubs off on others. I think it’s the all-round athleticism as well. Some of the numbers he produces with his running stats are incredible.”

Smith is one proud dad.

Playing Jack left and switching Anwar to the right side might help Watkins, hes been very good on the end of crosses across the box, his two disallowed goals were also those. The problem with playing traore right and anwar left is that both are encouraged to cut onto their favoured foot and take shots. This dramatically reduces the number of crosses across the box where Watkins thrives. 

Interested to see if that changes tonight.

Â