Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Watching him yesterday it did make me think that if we were to sign another top quality striker the option of Watkins on the right is actually a really strong one. Not advocating moving him there permanently but it’s clearly a strong option.

I agree, the beauty of Watkins is he provides options to us. Such a team player. Deano has also highlighted that he allows us to defend 10-15 yards higher up the pitch, arguably we may lose that if he plays right side.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That ball played near the end where Jack cut back outside the box and Ollie made the diagonal run was sexual

Was a superb through ball by Jack but, yeah, if Ollie doesn't move into the space he did then the chance (where he hits the post) doesn't come.

Great play by both players IMO.

Too often we've had strikers that didn't have the movement required at this level. 

• Like 1

I'm sure non villa fans probably think of Smiths comments yesterday as just another manager blowing smoke up a players arse, but Is there another striker in the PL you'd want upfront when down to 10 men?

I honestly can't think of one. Phenomenal performance. From memory this is at least the second time I've heard Alan Shearer gushing in his praise for Ollie. The kid must feel 10 foot tall listening to stuff like that. 

Must be a dream for a player like Jack to play with a striker like Ollie. Grealish is always going to be thinking of pulling off something unpredictable, and Ollie is always preparing for him to do so, hence their consistently good link up play. The goals will come, we can all see that.

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm sure non villa fans probably think of Smiths comments yesterday as just another manager blowing smoke up a players arse, but Is there another striker in the PL you'd want upfront when down to 10 men?

I honestly can't think of one. Phenomenal performance. From memory this is at least the second time I've heard Alan Shearer gushing in his praise for Ollie. The kid must feel 10 foot tall listening to stuff like that. 

Only one I'd be interested in as an alternative to Ollie scored 26 goals in his sole season here.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Only one I'd be interested in as an alternative to Ollie scored 26 goals in his sole season here.

I honestly would swap Ollie for Tammy. 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

At this point and with the way our team works I'd take Watkins 100/100 times over Abraham.

Agreed mate. Incredible player. And at 24yrs old with 13 PL games to his name, he will only get better. 

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

At this point and with the way our team works I'd take Watkins 100/100 times over Abraham.

I hope Tammy watches us trounce Chelsea from the bench tomorrow and thinks playing for us looks fun.

Would love to get him back here.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Watching him yesterday it did make me think that if we were to sign another top quality striker the option of Watkins on the right is actually a really strong one. Not advocating moving him there permanently but it’s clearly a strong option.

I thought after our 3rd bring Davis on and get AEG off put Watkins right. But then I saw Jack take the game by the throat to try and get Watkins a goal. Excellent combination between the two. 

I'd like to see our front 4 alternating positions in the future as it will give the opposition something else to think about. 

Watkins Vs Shaw could be an interesting battle because then we can target him against the scummy mancs.

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

982501647_ScreenShot2020-12-27at00_35_36.thumb.jpg.c203689daeb60cbfb94b090561471674.jpg

Disappointed with McGinn, so used to him being well ahead of everybody....needs to up his game.  By now he should be around the 1,000km mark for the season.....might be time to drop him 😉

Very impressive though that Watkins is close to McGinn, shows how much running he is doing.

54 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

A few weeks ago I was getting a little worried about Watkins but he’s been immense lately and really unfortunate not to have another 2 or 3 goals under his belt.

The goals will come again for sure if he keeps his chin up.

I personally don’t think there was ever anything to worry about.

He’s not a technically gifted player who will score amazing YouTube highlight goals all the time. That’s not his game.

What he brings is phenomenal stamina, movement off the ball, pressing, hold up play, pace, working the channels and getting on the end of stuff in the box. He’s been doing all of that every single game this season.

Edited by KentVillan

Â