Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

January is always a horrific month to judge transfer business on - it's panicky and overpriced.  Yuck.

I think it's also worth noting that the extra time to settle (yawn, cliche) is actually a thing that matters.  We brought in a LOT of new faces and they've had more time to bond as a group, train together etc.  Luiz was a different player after lockdown, e.g.  Of course, some of them just won't be good enough - but we need a squad still and rotation is key.

It's never ideal to bring players in late, but as long as (the right) recruits arrive at some point this window then, personally, I'm OK with that.

I'm sure I will be by the end but I'm concerned right now  

If we can get watkins in I'll be over the moon. Think he's the most important one. 

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Woohoo!  So 3 non-penalty goals in 26 games is good enough for you? It’s not for me and even Samatta might have hit 3 goals over 26 games.

Desparation.

I know right! 25% of his goals for Bournemouth have come from the penalty spot. What does that make his ratio without? 1 in 5?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Back to unadulterated internet speculation. Was that when Man U had striker crisis and got that ex Watford lump from China

Quote from king himself. Hardly unadulterated speculation.

"I had some faith that it was going to happen. And it was a bit sensitive for me considering that I moved to England as a 16-year-old to achieve my dream and wanted to reach that goal at Manchester United.

"It did not [happen] and then I made a choice and left. When you hear that you are connected to United and a bid comes in, then the feelings you had as a 16-year-old come back to you.

"But why it did not happen, I do not know."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2875526-josh-king-on-failed-manchester-united-move-i-had-some-faith-it-would-happen.amp.html

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Edouard that's done nothing in the premiership? Trust me if Jack's made his mind up then signing a player from a side that even Scott Sinclair banged the goals in for won't change his mind

He actually has scored quite a few goals in the Premiership. That's where he's playing at the moment, in fact. You clearly haven't seen Edouard play if you're comparing him with Sinclair. Also, Van Dijk, Robertson, Dembele, Tierney, McGinn, etc haven't done too badly having come from Scotland without PL experience

• Like 1

Just now, thunderball said:

From a Bournemouth fan

Seems strange that we wanted Wilson and then moved to King when he rejected us if this is the case. 

I wouldn't trust one fan, we once had someone who believed Barry bannan was the best midfield player in the league.

It is funny but at the start of the window with £100m Watkins and Benrahma felt like dead certainties. Even Edouard was mentioned.

The forum was in delirium about Rashica.

Now we’ve lost out on Wilson but don’t lose the faith fellas Joshua King, Wes, Samatta........that’s top six material.

And we’ve signed an overpriced RB so we’re all good.

14 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

This summer is our very last chance to show Jack we mean business. Signing Josh "3 goals" King isn't going to improve us and will leave us looking to buy a striker AGAIN next January/summer. Put £35m on the table for Edouard and be done with it

So important!

When Jack gets back from the England squad having trained with pure quality players, he'll be craving that calibre of team mates. Seeing us linked with two relegated strikers won't be fulfilling anything. 

Really hoped our new recruitment would have some secret gems. Clearly not. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rayk said:

Oh my days, yeah ‘Smith’ thought it was too expensive.

I mean he’s the money man isn’t he, not the person who actually managed the player.

No....He's just a fan like all of us also that has a bigger responsibility than being a clearing in the woods fan and playing his job like football manager or fifa. 

Believe it or not he is probably......in fact guaranteed to be heavily involved in just how much we have to spread about on players. So whilst he isn't the money man he will most definitely know what we have available and where priorities lie. 

2 hours ago, richp999 said:

You must be on the wind up :)

Pintpotvilla explained it pretty well, in a couple of short sentences ....

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

The actual transfer fee isn't the problem for FFP because the outgoing fee is balanced by the incoming value on the books. The problem is the wages

and length of contract ( for amortization). This is what affects FFP but this has been explained a thousand times on this site!!!

The length of contract/amortisation counts for everything!

Like pintpotvilla says above, you buy a player for 40m this season, and have a loss of 40m balanced in your books by an increase in assets of 40m (The player).

If the player is on a 4 year contract, you make a loss (amortization) of that player of 10m a year, until their contract runs out after 4 years and are worth nothing to you.

Add to this the cost of their wages, maybe 2m a year, and the loss for that player for FFP is 12m a year, for 4 years.

Add all of our players contracts/wages up, and then take this from our total income per year.  The balance of this needs to be under 35m.

The problem we have , is our income isn't high enough.

Im no expert but whilst that might be true on the company accounts submitted. FFP isn't taken from the company accounts - Football clubs submit a separate FFP statement, which has a different set of rules of allowable deductions etc.

Just now, rayk said:

It is funny but at the start of the window with £100m Watkins and Benrahma felt like dead certainties. Even Edouard was mentioned.

The forum was in delirium about Rashica.

Now we’ve lost out on Wilson but don’t lose the faith fellas Joshua King, Wes, Samatta........that’s top six material.

And we’ve signed an overpriced RB so we’re all good.

You're going to be so very severely disappointed if you think we're aiming for top 6 this coming season :D 

Just now, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

He actually has scored quite a few goals in the Premiership. That's where he's playing at the moment, in fact. You clearly haven't seen Edouard play if you're comparing him with Sinclair. Also, Van Dijk, Robertson, Dembele, Tierney, McGinn, etc haven't done too badly having come from Scotland without PL experience

I meant the English Prem, obviously. I haven't seen him play, agreed. My point was that I don't see him as the marquee signing that will convince Jack to stay which was what was implied.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are people still fooling themselves into thinking we weren’t in for Wilson?

I have no idea if we did or did not but every Cov fan I know says Wilson was a huge sky blue fan and has hated us since he was a teenager.

Edited by Brumerican

King would be a perfectly fine signing, the hysteria in here is wild.😂

He can play in several forward positions and has the pace and power that we sorely lack in wide areas (where you would presume he'd predominantly play in). It'd be extremely underwhelming if he were to be our only attacking signing but despite the widespread derision for those in charge of recruitment I'd be stunned if that were the case.

The reality is that this season has to be about solidifying ourselves, and a signing like King as "boring" as it is would go at least some way towards that given he's generally put up good numbers at this level and is an upgrade on what we currently have in the squad. If we were to get in 5/6 signings in total and he's the most disappointing of them I think we could be in for a more stress-free season and that'll do me fine.

• Like 4