Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

im really hoping we sign at least 2 players this week.

In reality, if we wanted to actually get certain players and were willing to pay the required fee, we could definitely get Watkins, as well as possibly 1 from Benrahma, Buendia or Cantwell. (for example)

I know we might be trying to be intelligent with finances etc, but please lord just let us get a couple of key transfers over the line this week.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

But that doesn't make sense when we spent so much last summer AFTER promotion and Smith was promised sufficient funds this summer to strengthen the side. 

This isnt directly for you but your post was a good summary of some fans who are worried. 

It doesn't mean that we can go in carte blanche and have a piss up at the brewery so to speak. We probably overspent last season with the view we add 3/4 bodies this season.

Unfortunately because of COVID our finances probably suffered more than other clubs because we're not optimised commercially to take advantage of our premiership status. By this I mean sponsorship deals etc. Hence we're probably having to be a little bit more careful than we could have been because of COVID. 

We also didn't envisage Wesley and Heaton getting injured so buying a keeper is probably a priority too. If our business is poor I'd be the first one with a pickaxe but we're working under a unique set of circumstances.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

The actual transfer fee isn't the problem for FFP because the outgoing fee is balanced by the incoming value on the books. The problem is the wages

and length of contract ( for amortization). This is what affects FFP but this has been explained a thousand times on this site!!!

But that is senseless.....because buying good players keeps you in the Prem and the length of contract /amortisation counts for Jack Shit.

It’s only when you spend big, long contracts......and get relegated that there is an issue..

15 minutes ago, rayk said:

And that was good negotiating? I mean Mings returned to Bournemouth in his Villa shirt and it still took 8 weeks to sign him??

No wonder Suso got sacked.

Apparently the £ negotiation is all Purslow. Suso just lined them up.

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But that doesn't make sense when we spent so much last summer AFTER promotion and Smith was promised sufficient funds this summer to strengthen the side. 

and we got them in with more gusto.

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

But that is senseless.....because buying good players keeps you in the Prem and the length of contract /amortisation counts for Jack Shit.

It’s only when you spend big, long contracts......and get relegated that there is an issue..

It's not senseless it's fact. The owners know exactly what they are doing

18 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Either our owners aren't as minted as people say they are or something fishy's going on behind the scenes.

I wouldn’t underestimate the potential impact COVID may be having. Our owners are business men and the world’s major economies are being smashed at the moment. Football is not immune. Some clubs may be impacted more than others. It’s speculation on my part but funds that were lined up six months ago may not be there now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'd love us to go for Deulofeu, he is far too good for the Championship and should leave, as he has a long term injury many teams will propbably hesitate on signing him, like the case with Benrahma last summer. I think his injury menas a window of opportunity for us to sign a player that otherwise would have gone to a bigger club. Sarr I think will be too expensive for us.

He'd be a great signing. Him and Jack in the same team would be an exciting proposition. But all I hear on here is we won't pay decent wages, which Deulofeu would certainly expect. 

OMG, at the moment this thread seems it’s occupied by lemmings that believe every word the club puts out there when it suits them.

Does anyone seriously think DS is happy only a few days before the season starts that we’ve only signed Cash when the clear strategy was to bolster our attacking players?