Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

Yeah agreed. Although I also think a lot of clubs are struggling financially at the moment and assuming Man Utd, who were linked with him earlier in the window, get Sancho then I can't think of many clubs that will be able to pay that amount of money for him this window. Do players like Brooks, Sarr etc. want championship football to wait or a bigger move? I'm not so sure. I'm hoping these "big moves" may open up towards the end of the window.

I can see Man Utd going for him if they don't get Sancho. We probably have the next best spending power so who knows? I can't see him staying to play Championship football either. He may well leave on loan with a view to be bought.

Just now, Okonokos said:

I can see Man Utd going for him if they don't get Sancho. We probably have the next best spending power so who knows? I can't see him staying to play Championship football either. He may well leave on loan with a view to be bought.

I do think they'll get Sancho in the end. And good point, a lot of clubs with operate this way this season with COVID. Doubt Bournemouth are desperate for money after Ramsdale, Wilson, King also

Just now, SeanVilla said:

I do think they'll get Sancho in the end. And good point, a lot of clubs with operate this way this season with COVID. Doubt Bournemouth are desperate for money after Ramsdale, Wilson, King also

I'm hoping they do as we won't have to worry about Grealish then, if there is any worry.

It's the classic PSG move to avoid FFP punishment. Can definitely see one of the top 7 doing it for Brooks, which would be so annoying.

Just now, rayk said:

I’d generally agree and that makes a bunch of sense (although we are on a transfer speculation thread....) but we’re starting to cut it a little fine unless we’re all happy to enter into transfer deadline week?

If I have an opinion on whether or not I think linked players will be good I'll give it. I don't use it to make any assumptions about our plans though as most of it is bullshit.

I was hoping we'd get a few last week. I can't help feeling pushing the deadline back is hurting us as there is no urgency from selling clubs unless they need the money to improve their team.

I know we need a striker, I just felt like a winger was a more pressing need watching us last year. I know everyone on here loves Benrahma, I just can't help thinking we'd be way more effective if we bought a similar calibre of player to him who actually had some pace.

8 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

What is out there in regards to the £100m/positions? Everybody seems to have just gone with the £100m as a fact. Plenty thought we wouldn't spend as much as we did last season.

I doubt the club or Smith is leaking our budget to people, all it does is jack up the prices for whoever we're after. That doesn't help Smith any more than the club. 

I think it came out quite early that we were after quality players at ST, Winger, CM and RM and we’d be looking to spend £100m.

That fitted in entirely with what we fans thought at least in terms of positions. And because DS came out with an interview where he said he wanted players to hit the ground running that was experience/English based players.

All I’m saying is that if DS gets promise something internally, especially after a shocker is a season (re attackers) then I think he may have let that slip to the press.

Maybe not in a bad way, but maybe in a way that would persuade Jack to stay?

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

No, we could get anyone else to take them and they would score all or most of them.

It is about what he adds outside of that.

You still have to score them. Not going to complain about a player who takes a good penalty.

No, we could get anyone else to take them and they would score all or most of them.

It is about what he adds outside of that.

To be fair, he's not an out and out striker so we have to look at what he adds other than just goals scored.

• Like 1

15 assists so about 1 in 11 

Sometimes it's about more than just pure stats though. Some players bring more to teams in other ways. I think signing King as well as a more accomplished goalscoring fox in the box type striker would bring the best out of both players. I still don't think we'll be in for King anyway though.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Sometimes it's about more than just pure stats though. Some players bring more to teams in other ways. I think signing King as well as a more accomplished goalscoring fox in the box type striker would bring the best out of both players. I still don't think we'll be in for King anyway though.

So it isn't about goals or assists when you play up front? 

Then you start talking about how he will link up with another striker? Well firstly we play with one striker and two wide forwards and secondly even if we did play with two I refer you back to 1 in 5 non penalty goals and 1 in 11 assists 

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Mate, I’m not having an argument but are we really saying.......even with Lange in charge......King is the best option for us even at £16m?

No, not the best option but I don't think he'd be as terrible as some think.

Regards King. Percy is mouthpiece for club, so it’s either happening or a bit of ‘good publicity’ after the Wilson ‘debacle’ (using that term loosely), whilst we fiddle with more elusive targets. A good will smoke screen if you will.

So in conclusion, King will sign for Villa or he won’t sign.

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Regards King. Percy is mouthpiece for club, so it’s either happening or a bit of ‘good publicity’ after the Wilson ‘debacle’ (using that term loosely), whilst we fiddle with more elusive targets. A good will smoke screen if you will.

So in conclusion, King will sign for Villa or he won’t sign.

It is a bit odd it leaks hours after the Wilson affair. I'm convinced we're not in for King but who knows what's going on any more?

Just now, Okonokos said:

It is a bit odd it leaks hours after the Wilson affair. I'm convinced we're not in for King but who knows what's going on any more?

Yeah, I am getting the feeling it a bit of ‘saving face’. But I can think of 16 million reasons why that wouldn’t be the case. It’s a bit weird either way. 

5 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Yeah, but BrummieMerican wanted us to believe it was because he hates other races and believes in slavery because the whole thing wasn't shown. 

To try and get this back on topic. What are people's thoughts on the Emiliano Martinez thing from The Athletic? Was it them who mentioned Wilson before Percy? 

I heard a while back we're very interested in Martinez and Lange travelled down to London a few weeks ago to discuss. I think the link is credible.

9 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Yeah, but BrummieMerican wanted us to believe it was because he hates other races and believes in slavery because the whole thing wasn't shown. 

To try and get this back on topic. What are people's thoughts on the Emiliano Martinez thing from The Athletic? Was it them who mentioned Wilson before Percy? 

I liked the idea of Martinez initially but think I’d prefer Romero.