Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My only worry with getting players in towards the end of the window is a bad start can be difficult to turn around and players might take long to settle. 

I know we will sign more players but after last summer and January our recruitment doesn't fill me with a lot of faith that we will be getting better.

Yeah, or they could hit the ground running.  I mean, who knows.

It just always seems that people think the recruitment team do nothing.  That they're clueless as to what the team needs and have no drive to improve things.  It's bizarre and, apparently, gets worse with each passing transfer window.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

So play Samatta until he equals the same number of PL games as King and then we can compare and contrast. Let's get you right on that coaching staff pronto.

Woohoo!  So 3 non-penalty goals in 26 games is good enough for you? It’s not for me and even Samatta might have hit 3 goals over 26 games.

Desparation.

Just now, bobzy said:

Yeah, or they could hit the ground running.  I mean, who knows.

It just always seems that people think the recruitment team do nothing.  That they're clueless as to what the team needs and have no drive to improve things.  It's bizarre and, apparently, gets worse with each passing transfer window.

I don't think they do nothing. But as with pretty much everything football related, the results are judged. 

Now all that mattered last year was staying up, I think Smith managed that despite the issues our recruitment gave him.

I believe they know the areas we lack in and want the best we can possibly sign but last summer and January doesn't fill me with a lot of faith that we will sign the right players to push on.

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Here is a nice thread for you. VA is a objective, considered and rationalised view on all things Villa:

(read the whole thread)

Very concise and I agree with all of his options aside from King and Romero. 

There is not a chance in hell that we'd get David Brooks I don't think.

26 minutes ago, rayk said:

Sorry how is this Deano’s CHOICE?

Watkins is Deano’s CHOICE, so is Benrahma....so way Maupay......the club just aren’t backing him if this is true.

Smith has on countless occasions come out and publicly said he didn't want to spend 20m on Maupay. He thought it was too much.

Why do people always assume he wanted him when he has always said to the contrary?

And why are people also going with the Smith isn't getting what he wanted story again... Round in circles. 

It might actually be an idea to let shit play out and see what happens before judging. Just a thought

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

This summer is our very last chance to show Jack we mean business. Signing Josh "3 goals" King isn't going to improve us and will leave us looking to buy a striker AGAIN next January/summer. Put £35m on the table for Edouard and be done with it

Edouard that's done nothing in the premiership? Trust me if Jack's made his mind up then signing a player from a side that even Scott Sinclair banged the goals in for won't change his mind

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Find it interesting how Percy doesn't mention a single thing about goalkeepers/Martinez and neither does Gregg Evans mention King. 

I do think King improves the squad but I'll be completely honest my problem is it's just a bit boring. 

So true - I think this is the problem with the links we're seeing.  They're just boring options.  Watkins is a good player but... meh, young player from Championship.

We need those random foreign links to get everything exciting again!

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Smith has on countless occasions come out and publicly said he didn't want to spend 20m on Maupay. He thought it was too much.

Why do people always assume he wanted him when he has always said to the contrary?

And why are people also going with the Smith isn't getting what he wanted story again... Round in circles. 

It might actually be an idea to let shit play out and see what happens before judging. Just a thought

He didn't even want to spend the money we did for Mings. lol

People are deluded if they think Smith doesn't have a final say in signings.

Another thing is, if people think ALL managers get every player they want, they are deluded.

They just deal with it in different ways, they could take the old Mourinho route and have a dig at the board with each bad result, or suck it up and try their best to manage with what they've got.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Oh my days, yeah ‘Smith’ thought it was too expensive.

I mean he’s the money man isn’t he, not the person who actually managed the player.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think they do nothing. But as with pretty much everything football related, the results are judged. 

Now all that mattered last year was staying up, I think Smith managed that despite the issues our recruitment gave him.

I believe they know the areas we lack in and want the best we can possibly sign but last summer and January doesn't fill me with a lot of faith that we will sign the right players to push on.

January is always a horrific month to judge transfer business on - it's panicky and overpriced.  Yuck.

I think it's also worth noting that the extra time to settle (yawn, cliche) is actually a thing that matters.  We brought in a LOT of new faces and they've had more time to bond as a group, train together etc.  Luiz was a different player after lockdown, e.g.  Of course, some of them just won't be good enough - but we need a squad still and rotation is key.

It's never ideal to bring players in late, but as long as (the right) recruits arrive at some point this window then, personally, I'm OK with that.