Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I actually thought he did really well against Spurs. He get virtually no protection from the referee. He went down no easier than Kane but did not get the protection he deserved.

He also never failed to get in front of his defender and show for the ball. Those defenders are big, strong and also top quality. He more than made himself a nuisance and made good decisions. When he got hold of the ball he used it well. He will never have experienced anything like what he had to experience against Spurs. He will be better for the experience. He gave all that he had to give but he will get fitter and stronger.

This kid, like all the rest of our players, deserve time and they deserve our support. Some of the comments made about him have been embarrassing. Our greatest strength as a club is our unity. It has been at it’s strongest for years and we must retain it all season. 

He might have shown for it but he certainly didn't manage to stay in front of the defender when the ball was played.

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He might have shown for it but he certainly didn't manage to stay in front of the defender when the ball was played.

He was up against a top quality defence protected by a top quality midfield. Not only are they  quality players but they are also extremely physical. It really was a baptism of fire that he will be the better for having survived it.

He showed enough for us to be optimistic. I genuinely felt that the referee let him down at times, allowing him non existent protection. We need to have some patience here.

Just now, M_Afro said:

He was up against a top quality defence protected by a top quality midfield. Not only are they  quality players but they are also extremely physical. It really was a baptism of fire that he will be the better for having survived it.

He showed enough for us to be optimistic. I genuinely felt that the referee let him down at times, allowing him non existent protection. We need to have some patience here.

It was a really tough game for him to make his debut. I'm certainly not writing him off. It was just a very poor performance. A lot of it is down to the situation

• Like 2

Spent more time on the ground than I thought he would.

Very difficult game for him and the whole team, a step up in quality to what pretty much all of them are used to.

Just have to adjust and learn, hopefully he will come good.

1 minute ago, samjp26 said:

The movement/strength shown by being the focal point is what allowed McGinn to score

And was within a whisker of creating similar second half, when McGinn chased a clearance and Wesley held/ blocked off his man thus preventing him getting to McGinn.

But, maybe that doesn’t come across on the internet, or the TV. Those ways of watching can be great at showing*things Up that one might miss at the game, but the opposite is also true.

• Like 2

Just now, terrytini said:

And was within a whisker of creating similar second half, when McGinn chased a clearance and Wesley held/ blocked off his man thus preventing him getting to McGinn.

But, maybe that doesn’t come across on the internet, or the TV. Those ways of watching can be great at showing*things Up that one might miss at the game, but the opposite is also true.

Don't get me wrong, he'll need to score goals himself, but it's clear to see that he'll create opportunities for other players without even needing to touch the ball at times

• Like 1

I thought he adjusted and showed he was learning as the game went on. Could see flashes of his full potential.

He doesn't have the full relationship with the others around him yet, which will come with time.

• Like 1

Different type of forward to what we are used to, he is good though. We are all getting used to each other and the new surroundings. Far too early to pass judgement, give the lad at least 10-12 games before we can form a view. He is not a Benteke nor a Tammy.

I heard a comment on Talksport earlier that a Championship striker who gets 25 in the Premier League might only expect 10 in the PL, and a team can’t come up playing the same way in PL and prosper, it’s a different ball game. I think pre-season showed us we are not relying on a traditional forward for goals, they are going to be spread around. I see Wesley as someone who is big enough to take on anyone, plays deeper and can hold up play letting our wide men, Grealish and McGinn into shooting positions, which suits our possession style. He will chip in with 10-12 goals himself.

I think the standard by which we judge him needs to be different.

He improved as the game wore on. His touch technique is there his passing was good at times poor at other times. The communication is what hindered him yesterday a couple of times he played it behind Trezeguet due to communication. 

A few times I noticed him telling the players to push up. He did especially in the first half go down too easily but there were a few instances where he scythed down and the F referee just laughed or waved it on. Corrupt officials!  

Had Trezeguet squared it when he had that chance Wesley might have scored.

If smith was protecting target and gullymot from a baptism of fire by leaving them out why didn't he do the same with wes?

could of gone with the usual football world day off "injury" tight calf

the guy looked well out of his depth.

I rememeber benteke's debut he just muscled in and bagged a goal or two. but was against a lower prem team swansea i think. who were mugs.

we could of put wes on ice till bournemouth came to town for a similar outcome.

now many Villa fans are saying we've spunked 22mil on a donkey who can't trap a bag of cement, and he's the worst brazillian since Jo brands bikini wax.

I’m not judging him based on yesterday. He had hardly any service first half, and absolutely no service second half. He’s been purchased to score goals, so I’ll judge him when he gets the chances to score.

Â