Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Benteke pretty much did that for most of his goals for us.  Comfortably the best striker we've had in the league, to be honest.  Wasn't he pretty much 1 in 2 for a side that was constantly battling relegation?  Incredible stuff really.

He was utterly exceptional - I have no idea how he has managed to take the downward turn that he has.

££££££££

On 15/08/2019 at 17:51, thunderball said:

I disagree, if you look at his heat map he generally sits deeper between opponents defence line and midfield line, engaging in play further back and drawing the defenders attention to overload the midfield. If we play with 5 in the middle (or two wide) he is creating a gap between him and the goal for players to run into?

FB1E2595-A42F-4FF3-8ACB-41FD587EDBAA.jpeg

I guess we will know after about 10 games by looking at his assists. 

I generally associate a target man as a big lump making a nuisance of himself in the defensive line right at the edge of the box or closer to goal receiving longer balls into then, generally with a 2nd striker with them, rather than in a possession based formation?

He can be a target man who prefers the ball to feet. 

I see what you mean. However in his time with Aston Villa he has predominantly started with his back to goal, receiving the ball and spinning to direct passes into the final third. He does drop into midfield but he drops to the ball, rather than as a rule. 

Definitely something to keep an eye on. 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

££££££££

Benteke scored so many as everything went through him. He scored about 50% of all our goals during his time at Villa. I don't think Wesley will get near benteke's goal tally, not because of a lack of quality but, because goals come from a range of positions in Smith's system. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, skarroki said:

If Wesley is as good for us as Benteke was we'll be challenging for the top 4.

If Benteke is as good as is being made out.....he wouldn't be producing the kind of perfomances that he has since he left......class is permanent not temporary.

I hope Wesley is better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Benteke is as good as is being made out.....he wouldn't be producing the kind of perfomances that he has since he left......class is permanent not temporary.

I hope Wesley is better.

I only said if Wesley is as good for us as Benteke was. Don't think there's any denying that Benteke was a very important member of the squad for us over multiple seasons. 

Whether or not he's class is another debate, but I agree with you on that. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I hope Wesley is better.

Benteke was one of the best striker we had for a long long time. Put his performances with our top 6 challenges team, or even our current time.

Yes his strength is in high balls, but still he's very good in terms of playing a proper football. He had some wonderful goals and assists. I'd have had him if I knew no one was coming, having him on loan at these circumstances would have been fantastic.

He's had some injuries which might affected him, but I guess he did the worst mistake by going to Plop. His game suits some teams. He needs to be the focal point. Some players are just that way. They have some confidence issues too.

Benteke had 3 good seasons with us (some bad spells but mainly was great). Almost 1 goals in 2 at PL for 3 seasons isn't an easy return at all.

I won't forget the joy he used to give us, I won't forget singing his name.

It's not only Benteke that gets affected by confidence, many players find it hard to find themselves again. 

Anyway, I really hope Wesley could be much better. But if he's as good as Benteke was for us then I think we had a real bargain in our hands.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I hope Wesley is better.

Disagree he relied very heavily on his strength, speed and athleticism. Once you lose that first step you lose that special something it has happened with Gabby and Lukaku as well. And unlike those 2 benteke didn't have regular game time to help maintain his fitness and skill.

In his second season with us Benteke started really really well. Then he got a niggly injury and was bought back too soon but that niggle became a major injury meaning he missed more of the season he should have. Had he not had that injury I believe he still would be an effective force. 

Wesley imo has better touch and technique than Benteke in what I have seen so far. It’s close between them but Wesley’s passing is way better. 

Belgium to premier league is massive massive step up.

Remember when we signed Benteke we had Gabby (still decent in 2012) and Bent in the squad so reliable premier league scorers so Benteke could spend first four months developing. He started plenty of games but was also sub in a few.

Now we don't have that. Seems madness not to have got another striker in. Throwing on Davis who scored about 3 championship goals to try to inspire a comeback from 2 down seems wildly optimistic.

• Like 1

He is holding the ball up and linking play well. I'm finding it hard to criticise him not looking very dangerous because he looks very isolated and the vast majority of his service were terrible floated crosses.

• Like 3

Â