Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

55 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We should be patient we're a game in but he needs to learn fast and use his size more he was expecting the ref to blow every time he was touched! If he can score 8-10 goals and have 10 assists it'll be money well spent.

He won't score as many as Haller, but Haller was twice the price and could turn out to be a great signing for West Ham I reckon he could be good for 12-16 goals in the prem, would have loved to have seen him come to Villa.

I think Newcastle got bent over paying that much for Joelinton we'll see.

I reckon he’ll get a lot more of those decisions at home with the crowd on the refs back. 

• Like 1

He actually helped with our goal by holding off the Spurs defender long enough for McGinn to get away from what i recall.

Our general fitness & strength seems lacking though compared to Spurs players.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I doubt he's going to scale the heights of Peak Benteke, but then who would? 

I saw enough to hope that he might be a nuisance to weaker PL defences. 

Sometimes the stars align and a you get a Benteke, and it worked the other way; he got the perfect team for him at that time. He’s not found it since and nor have we.

I think Welsey could work out well, but he’s a different player and we’re a different team now, so I’m going to try very hard not to judge him against that moment in our past. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Is he a “false 9”?

(he does sit deep - between their midfield and defensive line)

In which case perhaps the goal tally is expected to be low, and we should expect him to create space for our two wide men and running midfielders. Makes sense to me?

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thats an assumption Im not totally on board with to be honest - Don't forget lower half teams are going to come to villa to get a point and will to a greater or lesser extent park the bus. - Saturday will be interesting.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't forget lower half teams are going to come to villa to get a point and will to a greater or lesser extent park the bus. - Saturday will be interesting.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that mate. Unless you think think we would do the same when we play away to lower half teams?

Lower half teams will be looking at us at the moment and thinking 3 points in my opinion.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats an assumption Im not totally on board with to be honest - Don't forget lower half teams are going to come to villa to get a point and will to a greater or lesser extent park the bus. - Saturday will be interesting.

I don’t think ANY team will be parking the bus against us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that mate. Unless you think think we would do the same when we play away to lower half teams?

Lower half teams will be looking at us at the moment and thinking 3 points in my opinion.

Even Steve Bruce will try and nick a 1-0 in both our meetings this season.

Just now, Thug said:

I don’t think ANY team will be parking the bus against us.

Some might have to, depending on how well we gel, and how heavily we employ a possession based system.

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

Is he a “false 9”?

In which case perhaps the goal tally is expected to be low, and we should expect him to create space for our two wide men and running midfielders. Makes sense to me?

This is what i worry about because only Mcginn and Trezeguet are players who i think have 7-8 goals in them in the premier-league, and the latter's finishing can be very poor according to people who've seen him before Villa.

Can anyone really hang their hat on Jota, El Ghazi and Grealish getting that amount of goals at this level?

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, as much as I love Yorke, there's a strong argument to be made that Benteke is our greatest ever Premier League striker, an exceptional record playing for an awful Villa side.

If we can get a John Carew level of output out of Wesley then it will be very good business.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

Is he a “false 9”?

No because he plays on the line. A false 9 drops even deeper into central midfield to escape the line whenever possible, facing the defence. 

He's a target man. Simple as that really. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No because he plays on the line. A false 9 drops even deeper into central midfield to escape the line whenever possible, facing the defence. 

He's a target man. Simple as that really. 

I disagree, if you look at his heat map he generally sits deeper between opponents defence line and midfield line, engaging in play further back and drawing the defenders attention to overload the midfield. If we play with 5 in the middle (or two wide) he is creating a gap between him and the goal for players to run into?

FB1E2595-A42F-4FF3-8ACB-41FD587EDBAA.jpeg

I guess we will know after about 10 games by looking at his assists. 

I generally associate a target man as a big lump making a nuisance of himself in the defensive line right at the edge of the box or closer to goal receiving longer balls into then, generally with a 2nd striker with them, rather than in a possession based formation?

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I disagree, if you look at his heat map he generally sits deeper between opponents defence line and midfield line, engaging in play further back and drawing the defenders attention to overload the midfield. If we play with 5 in the middle (or two wide) he is creating a gap between him and the goal for players to run into?

FB1E2595-A42F-4FF3-8ACB-41FD587EDBAA.jpeg

I guess we will know after about 10 games by looking at his assists. 

I generally associate a target man as a big lump making a nuisance of himself in the defensive line right at the edge of the box or closer to goal receiving longer balls into then, generally with a 2nd striker with them, rather than in a possession based formation?

A false nine was some crap made up to justify Spain and Barcelona playing without an “official” striker and having 6 midfielders on the pitch. The players starting position was in midfield and they’d run forward. Wesley doesn’t do that. He is a striker, he then drops deep to get and hold up the ball, his starting position is a striker. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

A false nine was some crap made up to justify Spain and Barcelona playing without an “official” striker and having 6 midfielders on the pitch. The players starting position was in midfield and they’d run forward. Wesley doesn’t do that. He is a striker, he then drops deep to get and hold up the ball, his starting position is a striker. 

To be fair messi was barcas false nine and he was very clearly a striker he just dropped deeper when they were in possession to collect the ball but he stayed higher up the pitch when defending. Spain is a more justifiable example when they used Fabregas up front during the 2012 euros. 

Â