Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He seems to split opinions after yesterday’s game even in my house hold, I actually thought he did well and probably against one of the most consistent defences in the league, Kodjia came on against tired defenders and looked poor so think that only says more about Wesley, agree I’m sure in half a dozen games will all be singing his name 

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I miss Benteke

I don't see what he would have differently tbh.  Wes didn't have much to feed off did he? And his first competitive game for us couldn't have come against a much harder team to play against. Let him settle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbob80 said:

Loved reading the last few pages .Good old villa fans, righting off a young player in a new league against champions league finalists in his first game. Well done

I have no issue with fans commenting on his performance - I thought he looked poor - however I totally agree with you - to write him off after one game is folly imo 

Benteke looked really bad his first few games for us and everyone was moaning that we persisted with him but look how that turned out.

I didn’t think he had a great game but he didn’t get a lot of service and I think the fact that he kept getting fouled by their centre backs and the ref gave him nothing threw him off his game a bit.

I still think he’s going to be a real asset to us over the course of the season.

• Like 1

Yeah it took Benteke a while to adjust to this league, but there was no more beautiful sight than him slowly finding his feet and just starting to destroy defences week in week out.

I think it was West Brom away when I realized, hold up...this guy is actually special. Hope Big Wes has a similar upward trajectory.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimbob80 said:

Loved reading the last few pages .Good old villa fans, righting off a young player in a new league against champions league finalists in his first game. Well done

Just read them and must have missed those posts?

Is this more crying when someone had commented on a performance? On a forum meant for discussion.

Who has written him off? 

I know the Will Grigg's On Fire melody is a couple of years past its sell-by date, but I wonder if it can't be dusted down, given a personal touch, and "re-imagined" for our new frontman...

"Wesley's on fire... 

Aston Villa's number nine... 

Wesley's on fire..." etc.

For what it's worth, I think this guy is going to do really well for us. He appears to have all the attributes and I have absolute trust in our coaching team right now. Such simple (but intangible) factors as confidence, a dash of luck, and feeling some Holte End love may prove to be all it takes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't even know what this means, aside from the obvious. The kid has played one competitive game against very tough opposition. 

Benteke was outstanding in link up play for us.

Too often i've seen Wesley receive the ball and then just lose it straight away. Still early days though, i'm sure he will improve.

It's just like, can you imagine the 2013 version of Benteke in this team? Would be amazing.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Too often i've seen Wesley receive the ball and then just lose it straight away. Still early days though, i'm sure he will improve.

Well he didn't really do that at all in pre season, so by too often you mean against Spurs?

• Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 21:22, villan-scott said:

Can’t wait to see that little Brazilian flag next to his name tomorrow on Sky 🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷

Its not the flag that counts ,its what the player does.

....I'll bet the scottish flag next to McGinn will be more significant.

23 hours ago, stegzy said:

Benteke looked really bad his first few games for us and everyone was moaning that we persisted with him but look how that turned out.

I didn’t think he had a great game but he didn’t get a lot of service and I think the fact that he kept getting fouled by their centre backs and the ref gave him nothing threw him off his game a bit.

I still think he’s going to be a real asset to us over the course of the season.

23 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah it took Benteke a while to adjust to this league, but there was no more beautiful sight than him slowly finding his feet and just starting to destroy defences week in week out.

I think it was West Brom away when I realized, hold up...this guy is actually special. Hope Big Wes has a similar upward trajectory.

The way I remember it Benteke scored directly after coming on from the bench in his debut, then didn't look back. It took a couple of games until he scored again and some were moaning that he missed chances, against Spurs for example iirc. But also in these games I thought he was brilliant, and just the fact that he got into those positions showed what he could do, and contributed a lot even if he didn't score. Still went on to score quite many goals the first months. At times he missplaced passes in his link up play, but if that was because of lack of understanding/communication or because of the level of his team mates I'm not sure.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's just like, can you imagine the 2013 version of Benteke in this team? Would be amazing.

You watch Club Brugge a lot then?

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No, but I can imagine the 2019 version and the nightmare that would bring

1 goal last season in a crystal palace team......**** me I could do that at my Age.......well?

On 11/08/2019 at 22:49, Reivax_Villa said:

I think he had a decent game and was a handful against spurs.

Naturally he is going to be compared to Joelinton & Haller this season because of their physicality and price.

We should be patient with him.

We should be patient we're a game in but he needs to learn fast and use his size more he was expecting the ref to blow every time he was touched! If he can score 8-10 goals and have 10 assists it'll be money well spent.

He won't score as many as Haller, but Haller was twice the price and could turn out to be a great signing for West Ham I reckon he could be good for 12-16 goals in the prem, would have loved to have seen him come to Villa.

I think Newcastle got bent over paying that much for Joelinton we'll see.

Â