Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Lets hope this guy is as good as reported.

Lets also hope he doesn't pick up any injuries because the backup alternatives are Davis who was average in the championship let alone the prem and Kodija who doesn't look bothered half the time.

If Wesley gets injured or doesn't meet requirements, how easy or difficult will it be for us to get a top striker in the January transfer window? I can't remember how long that window's open for. The Sky reporter who has reviewed our transfer window today has said our weakness is up front and I guess they're right. It's now our main risk and our big question mark.

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The clue is in the name.

Ah, I see, so it's the whole of January then. Well anyway, I'm not saying Kodjia can't or won't be able to get back to his 2016/17 standard if his ankle has healed very well, maybe he will, fingers crossed. And maybe Wesley will do well and score enough goals, and not get injured, fingers crossed!

23 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Another Brugge was picked up by a PL team. They must have made crazy money this window. 

They have good training in Brussels how to make crazy Money😉

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Basically be our Troy Deeney please. 

I don't think he scores that many either,(9) but a great talisman for driving the team on.

Edited by TRO

There seems to be a myth developing around him that he doesnt' score goals, but I think he'll get around fifteen at least, if he takes penalties then closer to twenty. He will also get a number of assists. Just need the likes of Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Jota, Grealish, McGinn and Hourihane, Davis, and Kodjia, or in other words everybody else, to get their fair share of goals, and we should be a-okay.

Why are so many doubting Wesley?

His preseason seemed promising. A couple of goals and an assist or two. 

Early days, but good signs.

I don’t think he’s going to be banging them in every week, but he seems like he had a good head for what’s he’s doing and he has a good eye to pop the ball off for a runner.

He may not get a million goals, but I predict he’ll get more assists than your standard Striker 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

15 hours ago, robby b said:

If Wesley gets injured or doesn't meet requirements, how easy or difficult will it be for us to get a top striker in the January transfer window? I can't remember how long that window's open for. The Sky reporter who has reviewed our transfer window today has said our weakness is up front and I guess they're right. It's now our main risk and our big question mark.

It is - but if you look as teams DS has managed, they rarely struggle to score goals - if anything they concede to many - hopefully with a supply line we have, previously unprolific players, Wesley, Davis - can find the net more often. Kjodia when fit, also knows where the net is.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why are so many doubting Wesley?

His preseason seemed promising. A couple of goals and an assist or two. 

Early days, but good signs.

i don’t think he’s going to be banging them in every week, but he seems like he had a good head for what’s he’s doing and he has a good eye to pop the ball off for a runner.

He may not get a million goals, but I predict he’ll get more assists than your standard Striker 

I think its easy to see why many doubt him - he hasn't scored that many goals - but does provide a lot of assists. IF as DS hopes goals come from all over then it won't be a problem - If we become short of goals then the pressure will be on him.

• Like 1

If he gets 10 in the league then it's a good return on his debut season since it's almost certain he'll get quite a few assists. Players like Chris Wood are getting ~ 10 league goals at this level so Wesley ought to have enough about him to get the same amount.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think its easy to see why many doubt him - he hasn't scored that many goals - but does provide a lot of assists. IF as DS hopes goals come from all over then it won't be a problem - If we become short of goals then the pressure will be on him.

Of course, like all strikers. 

But he hasn’t provided any clear evidence in a villa shirt that he will struggle. 

I do admit, he’s not 100% got DS’s system of play, but he’s not far off 

23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Of course, like all strikers. 

But he hasn’t provided any clear evidence in a villa shirt that he will struggle. 

I do admit, he’s not 100% got DS’s system of play, but he’s not far off 

No - but he hasn't played a competitive match yet ...so we go on his previous record and how he has looked pre season friendlies.

I have my concerns about him as a goalscorer - we have to hope that Smith's plan of goals all across the front works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

No - but he hasn't played a competitive match yet ...so we go on his previous record and how he has looked pre season friendlies.

I have my concerns about him as a goalscorer - we have to hope that Smith's plan of goals all across the front works.

and hope your doubts about Wesley are wrong too. 

He passionate on the pitch, he's got a good awareness, strong as shit and can lay a ball off like a champ. 
He drops deep a lot,  which may not help him to get in position for a goal, but he's there for an assist.    

He seems to like playing as a false 9, but built like a traditional target man. If DS and the coaches work out which of these qualities are best for the team, he'll get some numbers. I'll predict 15 goals, via both scoring and assists combined. 

May not be ground breaking, but decent for a team just promoted. 

Â