Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

17 hours ago, LondonLax said:

‘Par for the course’ is by definition not failing. It is probably a good description of his time with us. 

We achieved decent results but we were never exceeding expectations. 

If the level of spending was not sustainable to the club then the board should have set a level of expenditure that was. It’s not the job of the manager to decide the budget.  

But we had milner, Barry and young all key players in title winning teams. On top of an good defence, Gabby on the top of his game and Carew. We should have got into CL football at least once. 

I know we've got some relatively negative posters on here but I've yet to see any poster wanting us to get relegated..

I just went on a West Ham forum and it looks to be roughly about half of their posters whom have 'accepted' relegation, and/or want to get relegated just to spite their owners. I didn't realize how unpopular the board/owners are over there. 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

I know we've got some relatively negative posters on here but I've yet to see any poster wanting us to get relegated..

I just went on a West Ham forum and it looks to be roughly about half of their posters whom have 'accepted' relegation, and/or want to get relegated just to spite their owners. I didn't realize how unpopular the board/owners are over there. 

I can’t remember wanting that even during Lerner’s days!

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I remember 4 years ago there were some on here who were happy for it because it would be ‘cleansing’. To be fair they were probably right. 

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

But we had milner, Barry and young all key players in title winning teams. On top of an good defence, Gabby on the top of his game and Carew. We should have got into CL football at least once. 

We'd have got 4th the season Laursen got crocked. After that the team has never been the same again. 

Edited by VillaJ100

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I remember 4 years ago there were some on here who were happy for it because it would be ‘cleansing’. To be fair they were probably right. 

Yeah I remember that.

The thing was though it was seen "possibly" as good as a reset or cleansing as you say, but the expectation was we would get straight back up.......

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah I remember that.

The thing was though it was seen "possibly" as good as a reset or cleansing as you say, but the expectation was we would get straight back up.......

Yup and we weren't even close that first season. Still stinky from that 15/16 horrorshow.

• Like 1

West Ham (pretty strong side put out - only 4 changes) losing to a West Brom who have made 8 changes. 

They're going to be in thick shit if they lose to Liverpool next week. Abject side and re-signing Moyes is uninspired, potentially sensible but it's just boring, much like they are as a club. Swap them for Leeds in the Prem anyday

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

West Ham (pretty strong side put out - only 4 changes) losing to a West Brom who have made 8 changes. 

They're going to be in thick if they lose to Liverpool next week. Abject side and re-signing Moyes is uninspired, potentially sensible but it's just boring, much like they are as a club. Swap them for Leeds in the Prem anyday

Just as with us beating Watford, a couple of losses showing the ‘new manager bounce’ is over will be damaging mentally as well.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Are we still counting southampton as a team to watch?

Yeah. I mean they're 9th on 31 points but there are 5 teams on 30 points. It would only take a bad run of a few weeks for those teams to be dragged back down. 

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I thought as much. But my ignorance forgot two things, or got two things dead wrong.

1) how tough it is to get back up when you're squad is poor and unsettled. 

2) how hard it is to shift deadwood you are stuck with going down. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I thought as much. But my ignorance forgot two things, or got two things dead wrong.

1) how tough it is to get back up when you're squad is poor and unsettled. 

2) how hard it is to shift deadwood you are stuck with going down. 

To be fair we did a good job of it, even with the chancer Dr. Xia. We managed to overhaul the squad in 1 season into a team with good experienced pros with quality sprinkled around. Our 2017/18 squad should have been automatically promoted. Not bad for a team that was virtually unrecognizable from the team that got relegated a year prior.