Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The last 3 seasons 35pts would've kept you up. 2010-11 last season 40pts was needed

For the last 3 seasons the "top 6" clubs haven't been regularly losing to teams in and around the relegation zone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Be interested to see what the teams were on at this stage of the season back in 2010-11

We were on 28pts after 24 games.

Bottom 3 on 22pts 21pts 21pts

Top 4 

54 49 45 44 (201pts assuming Pool beat Wham current top 4 total 209pts)

We finished 9th with 48pts

Edited by Kiwivillan

What it shows is that even then teams were about the same or slightly on more points at the same stage. I reckon 39/40 will do it. Hard to know exactly because of the way the results are going but things tend to even themselves out so if everyone's picking up points of each other then the end result should be similar. 

Mate at work is right. A point a game should be enough. 38pts has been enough every season bar 2 going back to 05/06. Blades went down on GD 38pts 06/07 and 10/11 Scum and Blackpool went down both on 39pts. Could've gone back further but got bored

25 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Screenshot_20200124-002122_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8a5690be96efb3817ac1602179d8452c.jpg

There you go. 

Weird that we were relatively safe in midtable, when it felt like a crisis at the time. Real relegation hysteria. I guess it makes sense coming off the back of the 6th place finishes in a row.

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Tbf looking back at gameweek 24 for the past 10 seasons or so most teams are between 21 to 25 point at this stage so it's all very similar despite what the narrative is about the current season.

I did the averages back during gameweek 23 before. The bottom 3 this season still have a higher combined points total compared to every previous season until the 2010-2011 season. I still think we'll need 1 point or 2 more than usual.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Weird that we were relatively safe in midtable, when it felt like a crisis at the time. Real relegation hysteria. I guess it makes sense coming off the back of the 6th place finishes in a row.

That table was right after we'd beaten Wigan away 2-1. We'd won 1-0 v Man. City the previous Saturday so those two wins actually lifted us out of the bottom 3. Add in Darren Bent signing and that was 10 days that kept us up although interestingly we didn't really pull away. I remember us being very close again to bottom 3 after losing at home to Wolves in mid March and it getting very toxic towards Houllier.

I think we eventually secured safety by winning at Arsenal on the penultimate weekend. Again with Arsenal and Man. City finishing in the top 4 that season it shows the worth of getting surprise wins off the better performing teams.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That table was right after we'd beaten Wigan away 2-1. We'd won 1-0 v Man. City the previous Saturday so those two wins actually lifted us out of the bottom 3. Add in Darren Bent signing and that was 10 days that kept us up although interestingly we didn't really pull away. I remember us being very close again to bottom 3 after losing at home to Wolves in mid March and it getting very toxic towards Houllier.

I think we eventually secured safety by winning at Arsenal on the penultimate weekend. Again with Arsenal and Man. City finishing in the top 4 that season it shows the worth of getting surprise wins off the better performing teams.

We had an electric draw with United at VP that season too, with a young Bannan and Hogg running the midfield. Really should have won that.

We beat Liverpool on the last day and had an entertaining 3-3 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Rollercoaster season but Houllier was building towards something. The amount of (often xenophobic) abuse he received was off the charts. That season really introduced me to how toxic our fanbase can be.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Back then and before the O'Neill years us finishing even midtable was seen as a failure.

MON years were a failure. He made so many rubbish signings as time went on instead of kicking on we lost our best talent and went on downward spiral

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

MON years were a failure. He made so many rubbish signings as time went on instead of kicking on we lost our best talent and went on downward spiral

MON was one of the worse things that ever happened to this club, chasing CL football ruined us for a good few years after! I really hope we are never ever that short sighted again. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We were at bottom 3 some point in Dec or January. Before drawing 3-3 with Chelsea I think we were 19th or so.

18 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We were at bottom 3 some point in Dec or January. Before drawing 3-3 with Chelsea I think we were 19th or so.

We weren't really confident of safety until we beat West Ham away with that late winner from Gabby to be fair. We always seemed to do just enough in those years until Tim Sherwood messed everything up lol