Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The City game aside, our defence has improved a lot since switching to three at the back and putting Hause in the team, before then we were conceding two goals or more most weeks, since then City have been the only team to score more than one past us, Fulham also, but that was with a weakend team.

Exactly. We are not harder to score again but we need to do more at home when teams park the bus like Watford did.  In the first half we looked like a 3-4-2-1 and there was no way of getting through.. Second half we became like a 2-5-3 and creating a lot more. 

Twelve points from February should be the aim, other clubs put those kind of runs together to get themselves out of trouble, time for us to do something similar. Would take a lot of pressure off the rest of the season. If we don't quite manage twelve points, then ten points will still be a big help.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Twelve points from February should be the aim, other clubs put those kind of runs together to get themselves out of trouble, time for us to do something similar. Would take a lot of pressure off the rest of the season. If we don't quite manage twelve points, then ten points will still be a big help.

I'd take 6 points from Feb.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

If we get 12 points from February I'll be demanding Champions League football next year 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, useless said:

42 points from the rest of the season should be the aim ;)

I'd prefer to take it one month at a time, if you say lets take forty-two points from the rest of the season then all it would take would be for us to drop points against Bournemouth and then that target would be out of the window. February is a month where the results could go either way, you've got Bournemouth who are below us in the table, but they have home advantae and have just had a moral boosting win against Brighton, Spurs who are dropping points against a lot of our rivals, but on their day are one of the best teams in the league, Southampton who are on a good, but then so were Watford and we managed to beat them, and Sheffield United who are doing very well, but at home if we have a good game then we can beat them too. Hopefully a good month for us, and few other teams see their form take a nose dive.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Hadn't realised how difficult our remaining fixtures looked on paper...

February, Bournemouth A, Tottenham H, Southampton A, Sheffield United H,

March, Leicester A, Chelsea H, Newcastle A,

April, Wolves H, Liverpool A, Manchester United H, Palace H,

May, Everton A, Arsenal H, West Ham A

Still have a chance of course, but feeling a little less confident after looking at those, think Bournemouth has to be a win for us, and as has been said we're also going to have start beating top half teams... I'm hoping our win against them as knocked the wind out of Watford's sail as the famous metaphor goes, they did so well to climb out of the relegation zone only for us to send them straight back into it, will have to see how they react, but could do with a few teams form taking a nose dive between now and the end of the season.

You think ours are bad? Look at West Hams run until easter 😂 3 of their next 4 games are Home & away to Liverpool & Away at city. We could easily be 8+ clear of them going into March

Liverpool H, Brighton H, Man City A, Liverpool A, Southampton H, Arsenal A, Wolves H, Spurs A, Chelsea H, Newcastle A. They have a bit of an easier run at the end of the season with Burney, norwich & watford to playe before going to old trafford & then playing us on the final day but they could be dead & buried by then

Edited by LakotaDakota

West Ham's fixtures do look bad, but I'm taking nothing for granted, I remember some of us said the same about Everton's fixtures before Christmas, and then the same for Southampton and Burnley, all of whom went on good runs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

The City game aside, our defence has improved a lot since switching to three at the back and putting Hause in the team, before then we were conceding two goals or more most weeks, since then City have been the only team to score more than one past us, Fulham also, but that was with a weakend team.

If you look at Smith's championship record we conceded 20 goals in the 10 fixtures between end of November and middle of January, and people were concerned to say the least.

With his emphasis on attacking football where we play with the ball in our attacking half and final third as much as we can muster, the final plughole to be attended to is defense.

It wasn't until March last year that we were only conceding a goal or less and we managed that amazing run, only to be stopped by a sh*t show from Leeds and champions Norwich.

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Looks like everyone is writing us off... 

3 teams most likely to get relegated

I love all the analysis about how "Villa don't have enough goals in them."

We're currently tied with Southampton for 9th in the league in goals scored per game. All anybody knows is Wesley is hurt and we don't have a striker. They ignore that we've still managed to score six goals in 5 matches without him. In league play we're on pace for 49 goals scored. Watford are currently on pace for 34. Crystal Palace for 35 and Bournemouth for 36, yet nobody says they don't have any goals for them.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Looks like everyone is writing us off... 

3 teams most likely to get relegated

Did you know we play the 2nd most amount of crosses into the box across the whole league, imagine we had a striker attacking those.

Will post other stats I've stumbled across tonight, but we're actually one of the most attacking teams in the division, our problem has been conceding and to a lesser degree, converting.

McGinn is a huge loss, but Grealish isn't the only one contributing to attacking efforts, in fact we have half a dozen players who average good numbers for shots on goal per 90mins etc.

17 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I love all the analysis about how "Villa don't have enough goals in them."

We're currently tied with Southampton for 9th in the league in goals scored per game. All anybody knows is Wesley is hurt and we don't have a striker. They ignore that we've still managed to score six goals in 5 matches without him. In league play we're on pace for 49 goals scored. Watford are currently on pace for 34. Crystal Palace for 35 and Bournemouth for 36, yet nobody says they don't have any goals for them.

It's the Daily Mirror.......they don't bother with things like research, knowledge and facts.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You should want Norwich plus at least 1 more dead and buried as soon as possible

Not sure on that. Norwich still play West Ham and Brighton at home so important to me they still feel they can stay up whenever they play those games (but still ultimately 6-7 points off 17th so winning those games dosen't mean much in the long run).

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I thought our goal difference would be at Norwich levels of badness, after our 6-1, 3-0, 3-1, 2-0 and 4-1 losses since December, but it’s not too bad.

-14 goal difference

Same as Bournemouth, one goal better than Watford and 2-3 goals worse off than Newcastle and West Ham. Brighton’s goal difference looks much better than ours though, at -7. That could really come in handy for them. Hopefully they get hammered a few times!

West Ham's -14 will get much much worse in next few weeks imo. They are the only team in league yet to play Liverpool and they also have Man. City away in late Feb.

4-1 at Leicester was a taster of what's to come.

That said I'm expecting the FA to give them special permission to sign Carlos Tevez in March....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'd take 6 points from Feb.

My target was to be on 30 points by end of Sheffield United game. Looks very do-able now and indeed would probably be disappointed if we're only on that total but then again we saw at start of December how quickly things can spiral out of control with a losing run.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Did you know we play the 2nd most amount of crosses into the box across the whole league, imagine we had a striker attacking those.

Will post other stats I've stumbled across tonight, but we're actually one of the most attacking teams in the division, our problem has been conceding and to a lesser degree, converting.

McGinn is a huge loss, but Grealish isn't the only one contributing to attacking efforts, in fact we have half a dozen players who average good numbers for shots on goal per 90mins etc.

I just learned yesterday that we've also scored the most goals outside the top 10.

Sorry if it's old news, but just goes to show it's our defending/midfield which have let us down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just learned yesterday that we've also scored the most goals outside the top 10.

Sorry if it's old news, but just goes to show it's our defending/midfield which have let us down.

We've been 9th for a while and still =9th 

• Like 1