Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just learned yesterday that we've also scored the most goals outside the top 10.

Sorry if it's old news, but just goes to show it's our defending/midfield which have let us down.

It's our system which has meant we concede a lot, same happened last year. We didn't rectify the defensive issues 'til March last year in an easier league.

People were calling for Smith to be sacked back then, just as they are now, another parallel is that we were delivering signs of a team almost ready to take the league by storm.

Come March, we went on a 10 game straight winning run. I'm not suggesting that will happen again, at all, but I think we get through a few growing pains and we are set for survival.

• Like 3

We won’t concede as many goals with this new formation. But we won’t create as many chances in open play either, especially at home against teams that setup defensively. I think it’s the right approach. Every point is crucial.  

We’re not good enough to out score teams so we need to just be tight and try and take chances when they come. Also be a lot better from set pieces too. The winner against Watford showed what we should be doing with 3 centre halves in the box for set pieces. 

It’s a shame Reina can’t take our corners.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Any predictions of our results in a months time seem foolish to me.We are heavily reliant on 2 players and if either of them were to get serious injuries we would be in severe trouble.

We are about to introduce 1 new striker and maybe more ,how will they adapt to this new league?

The predicted points tally to be safe from relegation could be 40.Many of the top teams appear in transition and seem to be dropping points against our relegation rivals and many teams at the bottom have some really good players.

Teams like Burnley,West Ham,Watford and Bournemouth have been established in the premier league for a few years and some have spent quite a lot of money. Moyes ,Dyche and Howe have done well in previous seasons.We are now second favourites to go down and I can see why outsiders think we look weak.

There is usually one team that drops like a stone at this time -I hope it’s not us.

I think we turned a corner when we won at Burnley.The team has a bit more steeliness and now is coming back after letting in first goal.

Its strange now we are winning away and doing better in second halves which I hope is due to work being put in by coaches.

Good recruitment next week is essential.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won’t concede as many goals with this new formation. But we won’t create as many chances in open play either, especially at home against teams that setup defensively. I think it’s the right approach. Every point is crucial.  

We’re not good enough to out score teams so we need to just be tight and try and take chances when they come. Also be a lot better from set pieces too. The winner against Watford showed what we should be doing with 3 centre halves in the box for set pieces. 

It’s a shame Reina can’t take our corners.

I think you might be surprised.

The only difference in this new formation is that we've taken someone out of midfield and placed them in the final line of defense. One less midfielder pushing up field to join attacks means that we're committing between 5-7 men forward instead of 5-8, as shown against Watford, we averaged 6 men in the attacking half over 90 minutes.

It also means that the full backs can push forward to support attacks without worrying about the center backs being as vulnerable to being pulled out of shape and exploited.

This is extremely evident in our match against Watford whereby Guilbert and Targett were some of our most infuential players in attacking areas.

• Like 1

Watford seem to have played an almost complete U23 team tonight, so this cup replay isn’t really stretching or tiring their first team.

Holebas is the only name I recognise in the whole of their matchday squad.

8 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Any predictions of our results in a months time seem foolish to me.We are heavily reliant on 2 players and if either of them were to get serious injuries we would be in severe trouble.

We are about to introduce 1 new striker and maybe more ,how will they adapt to this new league?

The predicted points tally to be safe from relegation could be 40.Many of the top teams appear in transition and seem to be dropping points against our relegation rivals and many teams at the bottom have some really good players.

Teams like Burnley,West Ham,Watford and Bournemouth have been established in the premier league for a few years and some have spent quite a lot of money. Moyes ,Dyche and Howe have done well in previous seasons.We are now second favourites to go down and I can see why outsiders think we look weak.

There is usually one team that drops like a stone at this time -I hope it’s not us.

I think we turned a corner when we won at Burnley.The team has a bit more steeliness and now is coming back after letting in first goal.

Its strange now we are winning away and doing better in second halves which I hope is due to work being put in by coaches.

Good recruitment next week is essential.

Our system means that Grealish is accompanied by a half dozen others in being adequate performers who are putting up numbers that allow us to be competitive.

Unfortunately without the system, and without Grealish as the axle to which the wheel revolves around, giving us motion and momentum, those players probably don't have that input.

19 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think you might be surprised.

The only difference in this new formation is that we've taken someone out of midfield and placed them in the final line of defense. One less midfielder pushing up field to join attacks means that we're committing between 5-7 men forward instead of 5-8, as shown against Watford, we averaged 6 men in the attacking half over 90 minutes.

It also means that the full backs can push forward to support attacks without worrying about the center backs being as vulnerable to being pulled out of shape and exploited.

This is extremely evident in our match against Watford whereby Guilbert and Targett were some of our most infuential players in attacking areas.

In the first half when they had 9 players behind the ball for the whole half. We had to commit players forward eventually or were never going to break them down. I see where you’re coming from though. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's the Daily Mirror.......they don't bother with things like research, knowledge and facts.

Yep, they will name the biggest teams they can to maximise clicks. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In the first half when they had 9 players behind the ball for the whole half. We had to commit players forward eventually or were never going to break them down. I see where you’re coming from though. 

If you look at the Newcastle victory, as an example of another time we successfully got a foothold on the game and were able to successfully implement our tactics, you see not only did we dominate possession, but we also committed between 5-8 men forward into our attacking half, sometimes as far up as the top of the 18 yard box, well into the final third.

Unfortunately this approach hasn't been honed well enough to consistently reap performances that we've seen when at our best.

An example of a match whereby we still employed the system, but were unable to get a stronghold on the game to allow for such dominance, was the draw with Manchester United. The system was still one which McGinn made runs beyond Wes and the forwards every time a vertical pass was played to a forward, and on the otherside Hourihane would rotate with Grealish and make overlapping runs in order to support attacks. United's influence in proceedings meant that our approach was less prevalent in determining how the game played out.

Then you have the times in which we have failed, for whatever reason, to influence matches with the ball out our feet to a standard or duration that means we can compete. The emphasis in Smith's approach of playing with the ball means that when we play without it, we are most likely playing on our opponents terms and at this stage in the teams development, we struggle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The predicted points tally to be safe from relegation could be 40

The last 3 seasons 35pts would've kept you up. 2010-11 last season 40pts was needed

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1