Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

On 27/07/2020 at 10:52, cheltenham_villa said:

Interesting challenge if we get bids for mings. Hes 27 this year so his resale only goes down, if the club can turn a 10-15m profit in a year it maybe hard to resist.

I don't think the owners would consider it. We paid $25m-ish for TM, and priced into that is the fact that he's good but has a mistake in him + lacked experience. With a season or two under his belt, he could grow into one of the top defenders in the country.

If we sell for a $10m profit, who are we going to get in today's market for $35m who is a better defender at the start of the season?

If it were crazy money ($60m+) then obviously it'd be a question, but right now a team with experience of playing both in the PL and with each other has its own value.  You can't buy stability, and we need to keep a solid core of this team.

• Like 2

Sure he makes mistakes - but something I could never put my finger on - he just has that domineering presence.........To think of him not being there just doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

I don't think the owners would consider it. We paid $25m-ish for TM, and priced into that is the fact that he's good but has a mistake in him + lacked experience. With a season or two under his belt, he could grow into one of the top defenders in the country.

If we sell for a $10m profit, who are we going to get in today's market for $35m who is a better defender at the start of the season?

If it were crazy money ($60m+) then obviously it'd be a question, but right now a team with experience of playing both in the PL and with each other has its own value.  You can't buy stability, and we need to keep a solid core of this team.

Nathan Aké :)

16 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But isnt the model to buy, sell and reinvest. His coming into his prime years but resale value will diminish.

I suspect there's another bit of the model that's important. That is to improve as a team. You don't often get better by selling your best players. There's also the effect someone like TM will have on other younger players - helping them to develop as players and people. He's an outstanding character, as well as a fine player.

• Like 2

Let's not forget he played 20 odd games in the championship as a CB, and this was his first season as a CB at the highest level.

I think he actually did really well this season considering.

He as well as our other players will have learnt a lot from their first full season in the Prem, if we add some quality this window we might look like a different team next season.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

it is possible to respond without being offensive you know.

Sorry mate, it was more sarcasm than criticism... hence the interrobang - !? I'm really not someone who can bring themselves to use emoji's; a winky emoji would have summed my tone up here. The exasperation stands however!

First season in the top flight, did ok in the end. Stepped up towards the end of the season. Would look better next to an experienced head. Someone mentioned Smalling. I think that is a great shout. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

First season in the top flight, did ok in the end. Stepped up towards the end of the season. Would look better next to an experienced head. Someone mentioned Smalling. I think that is a great shout. 

I said Smalling before. He would be a risk due to his previous injuries, but then any affordable experienced player can carry that risk. I think his style would really complement Tyrone and would be a good learning for him, Hause and Konsa.

• Like 1

Would take over 40m to be even remotely worth considering. We have a core of 5 players in our registered squad that barely featured and need getting out of the door before anyone else.

The second we start losing first teamers by choice is the second we start going downhill and throwing away the collective experience and good morale a season surviving relegation brings.

Mings isn't just a first teamer. He's a pseudo captain, that has shown his love for the club on numerous occasions.  Lose him and we will be hugely worse of for it.

The only viable replacement would be someone that played in the premier league last season, that experienced playing against most of the strikers we'll face next season. Which £40m defender are we going to attract that fits that criteria? Even if you can think of one,  you still lose stability, and you lose the presence that Mings brings. 

He has a mistake in him, sure...but so do 99.9% of the defenders in the world.

Supplement the core of Mings, Konsa and Hause with one more experienced head and we're set for next season at centre back. If we lose Engels then another 20-24yr old can be brought in as well.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We paid 26m for him. I seriously doubt anybody would bid a £1 over that for him in order to prise him away, yet alone the big bucks. He is bang average at this level if we are being honest.

I think someone might pay 30 plus for him personally but I agree with you he isn’t a special defender or at least not so far he’s the sort of player I would have though a 7th to 12th team would have as a starter.

i wouldn’t actively sell him but if someone offered 40m I’d definitely do that and replace him as it wouldn’t be difficult with that sum.

Smith has mentioned how big a task it was to develop a team culture this season with all the new signings - you can see that Mings is one of the central figures of the team culture that has built up this season. Think he's worth a lot more to us than just his performances on the pitch.

• Like 1

Put Smalling or someone similar next to him (not Phil Jones) and he goes up another level for me. (Jonny Evans or Gary Cahill would have been fantastic for him)

Has all the Athleticism required to be a top player, goodish on the ball, runs out of the defence.

The main thing that is suspect for him is his actual defending, which is still very good.

Give him less to do and you will notice him more.

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

What the hell is this?! 😆

Why the talk of selling him? He is such a key player for us and continues to improve. He is actually the leader of our team and a massive influence. We need to keep our best players who have forged a strong relationship with the club/team/fans and add quality to strengthen, improve & compete.

We finally have a decent spine, why tear that apart? I’d hate to rebuild or start from scratch again.

Madness!

There was a report stating that we are looking for a LB, RB, DM, striker, winger and potential replacements for Grealish and Mings if they go. This suggests there is some interest in them both. 

On 29/07/2020 at 18:33, AvonVillain said:

Sorry mate, it was more sarcasm than criticism... hence the interrobang - !? I'm really not someone who can bring themselves to use emoji's; a winky emoji would have summed my tone up here. The exasperation stands however!

Sorry mate, I was probably being a bit over sensitive. Right, I think wed sell him for 40m.

12 hours ago, Nicho said:

Put Smalling or someone similar next to him (not Phil Jones) and he goes up another level for me. (Jonny Evans or Gary Cahill would have been fantastic for him)

Has all the Athleticism required to be a top player, goodish on the ball, runs out of the defence.

The main thing that is suspect for him is his actual defending, which is still very good.

Give him less to do and you will notice him more.

Chucking an experienced head in next to Mings would hinder Konsa’s development though.  I fully expect him to go on to be a superior defender to Tyrone in the next couple of years.

34 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Chucking an experienced head in next to Mings would hinder Konsa’s development though.  I fully expect him to go on to be a superior defender to Tyrone in the next couple of years.

I agree Konsa does have a higher ceiling. But then the team could do with an experienced head back there at times. I suppose it’s catch 22

Â