Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Just now, Rolta said:

So which one of your vague points is your actual point, and do you mean the words you say? 'If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.'

Geez mate you are so confrontational, trying to start a fight where there isn't one..... my point was pretty simple. I don't think he has been that good and I think he's getting away with it. It we chastise Trez, AEG, Wesley etc for their mistakes isn't it only fair that you discuss on a public forum, the shortcomings of our defenders who have helped ship 66 goals and drop 19 points from winning positions and other stats that are relevant.

✌️

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rolta said:

So which one of your vague points is your actual point, and do you mean the words you say? 'If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.'

EDIT: Just had a quick look and in the last 5 games our defence ranks 10th= in the league.

Just on your edited point, didn't realise the season was only 5 games old....

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Just on your edited point, didn't realise the season was only 5 games old....

I was going to leave it as you love holding the stick at the wrong end. I can almost imagine you juggling one. And you're definitely coming across as if you want 'to get confrontational' as you say.

OK, so you seem to want Mings to get the same critique as El Ghazi. The thing is, he did get stick, back when it happened months ago. I did it myself. I remember. I don't think Mings is the worlds greatest defender, and I said so to people when he got his England cap. But he has also been our best defender—we missed him when he was injured in a critical part of the season when we actually had a chance to get some results. I picked 5 games because that's the quickest thing I could get on google, but we've looked far more solid since the restart, which is a good proportion of the season.

Yeah, we've not been great defensively, but that's not just on Mings. I guess if you think that's all on Mings then continue as you are.

For clarity, what's your point again? Oh, yeah, Mings should get the same level of critique (as in ripping to shreds) that El Ghazi got.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Geez mate you are so confrontational, trying to start a fight where there isn't one..... my point was pretty simple. I don't think he has been that good and I think he's getting away with it. It we chastise Trez, AEG, Wesley etc for their mistakes isn't it only fair that you discuss on a public forum, the shortcomings of our defenders who have helped ship 66 goals and drop 19 points from winning positions and other stats that are relevant.

✌️

Stats do not lie, you are absolutely correct. I think we are a bit reluctant to criticise him especially after the hand he gave in getting us promoted, wearing his kit in the underground after the final, one of the boys etc. On top of that he's started a couple of games for England. Since that though he has dropped off, whether that's got to his head I don't know. But just watching him in these past few games, he looks defeated already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I was going to leave it as you love holding the stick at the wrong end. I can almost imagine you juggling one. And you're definitely coming across as if you want 'to get confrontational' as you say.

OK, so you seem to want Mings to get the same critique as El Ghazi. The thing is, he did get stick, back when it happened months ago. I did it myself. I remember. I don't think Mings is the worlds greatest defender, and I said so to people when he got his England cap. But he has also been our best defender—we missed him when he was injured in a critical part of the season when we actually had a chance to get some results. I picked 5 games because that's the quickest thing I could get on google, but we've looked far more solid since the restart, which is a good proportion of the season.

Yeah, we've not been great defensively, but that's not just on Mings. I guess if you think that's all on Mings then continue as you are.

For clarity, what's your point again? Oh, yeah, Mings should get the same level of critique (as in ripping to shreds) that El Ghazi got.

11 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I love holding the wrong end of the stick 😂 oh my days, you are entertaining if nothing else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Willing to admit that it not be a stat to use for judging his season. 

However my eyes have told me he hasn't had a great season. If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.

Would definitely agree here. He's not been as solid as we all would've liked. He definitely needs to sort his concentration levels out, he tends to have a mistake in him most games.

For me, he's close to a good level defender, but not quite there yet. Perhaps someone more experienced alongside him would've been good? I think Konsa has done well but is very inexperienced. Mings is actually very inexperienced himself. Certainly at CB.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Would definitely agree here. He's not been as solid as we all would've liked. He definitely needs to sort his concentration levels out, he tends to have a mistake in him most games.

For me, he's close to a good level defender, but not quite there yet. Perhaps someone more experienced alongside him would've been good? I think Konsa has done well but is very inexperienced. Mings is actually very inexperienced himself. Certainly at CB.

Mings has looked average with good glimpses since his England call up.

He is often caught out of position in too many games since the restart and his concentration levels tend to dip.

He does need another solid central defender alongside him consistently imo.

If we could get a defensive coach from the highest level then this lad would come on leaps and bounds.. imo.   

If only we had one!

• Like 1

Need to remember with Mings is that at 27 he is less experienced in terms of games played than 22 YO Konsa so he will have kinks in his game after losing so much development and game time. He is Not as good as we have made him out to be but is also good enough top half prem CB and if we do go down will he jeopardise his England squad place for next summers euros out of a sense of loyalty? 

I see rumours in media are circling him to go to arsenal or everton for 30 mill. Cant see it really, I mean even if we go down I think he will stay to be fair, wed get our money back but I'd demand abit more than that like 35 mill. I just dont think hes there at the moment like others suggest he needs another smooth, calm and collected guy next to him and a better coach.

57 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Mings has looked average with good glimpses since his England call up.

He is often caught out of position in too many games since the restart and his concentration levels tend to dip.

He does need another solid central defender alongside him consistently imo.

If we could get a defensive coach from the highest level then this lad would come on leaps and bounds.. imo.   

If only we had one!

I thing something often too overlooked is that our team as a whole just hasn’t been up to scratch. Our wingers don’t prove the intelligent outlet, our strikers since Wesley don’t hold the ball up (Mings was screaming at Samatta vs Everton). I think many players would get caught in possession without an outlet.

also statistically, we invited pressure for much of the season as a tactical decision...so obviously stats wise our back line won’t look as good. It’s just law of probability - and since we tactically tightened up by dropping Luiz’s position and closing down in different areas our back line looks better.

IMO (and it’s all opinions)...Mings is a PL defender to the mid table level overall. If he was even more consistent he’d be the next level up. He didn’t get his England call up and many plaudits by being useless. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I thing something often too overlooked is that our team as a whole just hasn’t been up to scratch. Our wingers don’t prove the intelligent outlet, our strikers since Wesley don’t hold the ball up (Mings was screaming at Samatta vs Everton). I think many players would get caught in possession without an outlet.

also statistically, we invited pressure for much of the season as a tactical decision...so obviously stats wise our back line won’t look as good. It’s just law of probability - and since we tactically tightened up by dropping Luiz’s position and closing down in different areas our back line looks better.

IMO (and it’s all opinions)...Mings is a PL defender to the mid table level overall. If he was even more consistent he’d be the next level up. He didn’t get his England call up and many plaudits by being useless. 

I agree the team as a whole for large parts of the season have not been up to scratch for a variety of reasons, I accept that and it's been a collective issue.

As for strikers not holding up the ball, I am guessing you have you not seen Kienan Davis feature since the resumption of the league?

We do indeed invite pressure and we tend to get caught out once too often against the run of play.. as I mentioned, Mings is more too often caught out of position and nowhere to be seen, I've noticed it more since the return.

If he where to sprint back when he is caught out of position and executes a blinding tackle to clear up the sudden panic and make a solid clearance from it atleast 3 times out of 5 of these instances then he would no doubt be one of the Premier Leagues best defenders.

Even when the lad tracks back he doesn't close down enough and generally invites pressure.

Before his call up with England he was definately a mid table PL defender without a doubt...

You're right, he didn't get an England call up for being useless, It's after then that has seen his gradual decline in form in most games this season.

He's nowhere near a call up now. That's not from him being useless though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I see rumours in media are circling him to go to arsenal or everton for 30 mill. Cant see it really, I mean even if we go down I think he will stay to be fair, wed get our money back but I'd demand abit more than that like 35 mill. I just dont think hes there at the moment like others suggest he needs another smooth, calm and collected guy next to him and a better coach.

Doesn't matter what the thread is, what the topic of conversation is, there is always these digs at the manager. Pathetic

1 hour ago, momo said:

Is Nathan Ake worth 35 mill?

Again not sure how this is relevant, I think we overpaid for Ming's.... Bournemouth would be happy..... Simple

No way does Mings go to Man Utd. He's left-footed and they already have Maguire playing there. If he goes anywhere it will probably be to Everton or Arsenal as they need centre backs and probably have the money to afford him. Out of the two, I can see him at Arsenal for around £30m. However, if the Man Utd rumours prove to be true, I'd be looking for £30m plus Tuanzebe on loan for the whole of next season. 

Â