Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

There is, we witnessed it today. We now face another team who appear to have got their holiday towels packed, and if we can take some confidence into that game and sneak a win then it’s all to play for. UTV

If we approach the upcoming matches with that mindset, we are asking to be relegated. We need to be 100% focused on the next 3 matches to give ourselves a chance of survival 

On 09/07/2020 at 22:07, VillaAlex said:

Have to agree he has been very poor all season for the price we paid. Thought it was a good move at the time but he showed zero improvement from the Championship and he's continually being punished for it.

I thought he looked so assured in the Championship, that he'd be great in the premier league.

He's good, just not a top six player.

I think Mings has been fine, maybe like most things people were expecting too much from him, he has made some mistakes but nearly every Villa player has made mistakes this season. Hasnt helped that he has played with 3 different partners and then a change to 3 at the back for a while.

Just seen a stat.... TM has completed less tackles per 90 mins than any other CB with 5+ appearances, and by a distance..... Bournemouth must be laughing that we coughed up so much for him.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Just seen a stat.... TM has completed less tackles per 90 mins than any other CB with 5+ appearances, and by a distance..... Bournemouth must be laughing that we coughed up so much for him.

Doesn’t tackle much more blocks shot, headers and jockeys players away. Don’t listen to stats they can be misleading.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Doesn’t tackle much more blocks shot, headers and jockeys players away. Don’t listen to stats they can be misleading.....

66 goals conceded, there is nothing misleading about the stats.

Yeah... Bournemouth have let in two goals less

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yes Tyrone Mings has single handily conceded 66 goals

Where did I say that, our defence has been disgraceful all season. TM has been part of that, his season has not been fine.

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think thats a misleading stat if honest. If your defender is making more tackles then he is not a great defender, Jamie Carragher made lots of tackles and he was average. Not comparing but Baresi, Maldini or McGrath rarely made tackles, if they needed to they would but they didnt. 

I saw that stat, looks bad until you see the other defenders joining him in the top five for least tackles are all top defenders one of them including Virgil van Dijk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Paolo Maldini - "If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

• Like 2

Defenders are like the most difficult players to judge based on stats. At least, a single stat. Perhaps you could judge them better after being able to look at a combination of other stats.

1- According to smarterscout with a baseline of the premier league(meaning 50/99 is the average for the PL for his position.).

a) Defending quality-20/99

b) Defending quantity-10/99

c) Ball retention-52/99

d) Aerial duels in open play-80/99

e) Aerial duels in dead balls-46/99

f) Ground duels out of posession-56/99

(the last 3 stats are for his overall career in the PL, not just this season).

As a comparison, Van Dijk's scores this season are

a) Defending quality-87/99

b) Defending quantity-40/99

c) Ball retention-80/99

d) Aerial duels in open play-96/99

e) Aerial duels in dead balls-95/99

f) Ground duels is posession-83/99(Mings has no metric for this, probably because he's never been involved in a ground duel whilst in posession)

g) Ground duels out of posession-85/99

to show that it isn't just a quirk of the system measuring defenders badly.

2-Whoscored has Tyrone Mings rated at 6.61/10 overall in the PL this season. This isn't really a good score. Whilst its not bad, I would consider it quite mediocre. However, whoscored does have a bit of a problem with rating defenders as well. It would be better to delve into the individual stats they have recorded for him. It would however put him as our 9th best performing player this season according to them.

For his individual stats,

a) 0.5 successful tackles per 90 minutes(The least out of any PL centreback who's at least played 1000 minutes)

b) Dribbled past 0.1 times per 90 minutes(The least out of any PL centreback who's at least played 1000 minutes)

c) 0.6 attempted tackles per 90 minutes(The least of any PL centreback...yeah you get the picture)

d) 1 interception per 90 minutes(15th least, closer to the bottom than the middle.)

e) 0.2 yellow cards per 90(16th least, closer to the bottom than the middle )

f) 5.8 clearances per 90(4th most)

g) 1.5 shots blocked per 90(The most)

h) 0 crosses blocked per 90(The least. Not necessarily a quirk of the position, in fact he's the only CB alongside Jamal Lascelles who hasn't clocked in a single blocked cross)

i) 0.3 passes blocked per 90(18th least. Closer to the bottom than the middle).

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/7811/Stages/17590/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

I say the tackling stat is misleading because he doesn't need to tackle considering he's barely been dribbled past in the first place.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think thats a misleading stat if honest. If your defender is making more tackles then he is not a great defender, Jamie Carragher made lots of tackles and he was average. Not comparing but Baresi, Maldini or McGrath rarely made tackles, if they needed to they would but they didnt. 

Willing to admit that it not be a stat to use for judging his season. 

However my eyes have told me he hasn't had a great season. If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.

Willing to admit that it not be a stat to use for judging his season. 

However my eyes have told me he hasn't had a great season. If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.

So El Ghazi gets some pretty vile hatred and you don't think Mings has had enough? So you produce a stat that means nothing to get the fire going?

I'm sure that's not what you're actually trying to do really. Mings has been good since the restart. He also made a few mistakes earlier in the season, but he's been good a lot too. We also missed him massively when he was injured. 

Sorry I just can't get myself worked up into a VT wrath. 

Unfortunately for El Ghazi the miss was in a highly emotional moment in a game that felt more crucial due to time running out. It was ott though.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

So El Ghazi gets some pretty vile hatred and you don't think Mings has had enough? So you produce a stat that means nothing to get the fire going?

I'm sure that's not what you're actually trying to do really. Ming's has been good since the restart. He also made a few mistakes earlier in the season, but he's been good a lot too. We also missed him massively when he was injured. 

Sorry I just can't get myself worked up into a VT wrath. 

Unfortunately for El Ghazi the miss was in a highly emotional moment in a game that felt more crucial due to time running out. It was ott though.

Wow my friend, I was putting forward some thoughts on a player on a internet forum. Pent up rage much?

I don't do vile hatred of players and wouldn't promote, you accusations are wild and off the mark.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wow my friend, I was putting forward some thoughts on a player on a internet forum. Pent up rage much?

I don't do vile hatred of players and wouldn't promote, you accusations are wild and off the mark.

I said, 'I'm sure that's not what you're actually doing.'

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that this was how your post came across to me, more than what I actually thought you were doing. I have no rage. It just seemed a funny thing to bring up, and maybe using El Ghazi was a poor example because he has been getting vile abuse. And the tackling stat is, as pointed out, a really odd one to use because obviously a solid defence does a lot of shielding, marking, positioning work to avoid having to tackle. When someone pointed that out to you, you said, '66 goals conceded, there is nothing misleading about the stats.'

As I say, you definitely came across a certain way.

Edited by Rolta

Just now, Rolta said:

I said, 'I'm sure that's not what you're actually doing.'

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that this was how your post came across to me, more than what I actually thought you were doing. I have no rage. It just seemed a funny thing to bring up, and maybe using El Ghazi was a poor example because he has been getting vile abuse. And the tackling stat is, as pointed out, a really odd one to use because obviously a solid defence does a lot of shielding, marking, positioning work to avoid having to tackle.

And our defence isn't solid.....

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

And our defence isn't solid.....

So which one of your vague points is your actual point, and do you mean the words you say? 'If AEG can cop the VT wrath for missing that sitter then TM deserves the same critiquing for some of his blunders this season.'

EDIT: Just had a quick look and in the last 5 games our defence ranks 10th= in the league.

Edited by Rolta

Â