Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I think that you need to provide information about what these rumours are and where they are from.

Was a post from somebody that he heard Purslow was leaving from his personal driver

• Haha 1

Big call, if it's a disaster Purslow will lose his job. Had a lot of criticism when he was at Liverpool and so I'm a bit worried about his judgement here. This is a Purslow appointment and I'd be interested to have been able to see the discussion between Lange and Purslow about this. Although if it's true Lange wanted the Denmark manager then maybe this is better off.

Tad worried both the guys at the top reportedly wanted their mate in. Hopefully we've made the right call and we all continue singing Purslows praises for the coming years

Football has a been a business for a while now and in business you have to be ruthless to succeed and unfortunately a byproduct of this is good people are cast aside.

Purslow is a good operator, the owners hired him for a reason, the decision he made was less to do about football and more to do with marketing, exposure etc. It’s unfortunately not all about football when running a club these days, it’s creating income streams, sponsorship etc etc.

We may not like it, but it’s modern day football.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Football has a been a business for a while now and in business you have to be ruthless to succeed and unfortunately a byproduct of this is good people are cast aside.

Purslow is a good operator, the owners hired him for a reason, the decision he made was less to do about football and more to do with marketing, exposure etc. It’s unfortunately not all about football when running a club these days, it’s creating income streams, sponsorship etc etc.

We may not like it, but it’s modern day football.

Even my wife knew who Steven Gerrard is. Could be a very smart move that will raise our profile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Even my wife knew who Steven Gerrard is. Could be a very smart move that will raise our profile.

I don’t think it was a move to raise our profile, but that’s a welcome bonus. Instead of Gary Lineker and his buddies patronising Dean, they’ll be fawning all over the gaff when they talk to SG. 

• Like 1

The first publicly questionable decision I've seen from him over the past 3 seasons.  You could make a solid case for letting Smith go, but it's a hard sell to say that Gerrard is a much better option than Deano at this point.  Time will tell, I guess.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

I don’t trust him to be anywhere near as ruthless when it’ll come to sacking Gerrard.

He just sacked someone who on the face of it he had a very close and successful relationship with.

He's a businessman. He's right at the top of the tree. You think he wouldn't sack Gerrard you are wrong.

He has a stake in the club and a high powered job. If we are in the relegation zone and looking abject in 4 months time. He'll be sacked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

The first publicly questionable decision I've seen from him over the past 3 seasons.  You could make a solid case for letting Smith go, but it's a hard sell to say that Gerrard is a much better option than Deano at this point.  Time will tell, I guess.  

Honestly I think they've gone for a manager of (arguable) similar ability but a way higher profile sadly

The speed at which this has been done (especially given Gerrard's comments when asked about the Newcastle job  "Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Don't ask me silly questions then") shows that the board have a ruthless streak, as well as high demands (which would be appropriate for any business that has spent £200M Net over 3 years). Purslow and the board have previously shown loyalty to Dean Smith when we had that dodgy run from December 2019 - March 2020. Football is a results driven business, and given the squad we have 5 straight defeats is simply not good enough.

I'd say if Dean wants to blame anyone for his sacking it would be whoever was to blame for the loss of Terry and ROK, this seems to have greatly affected everyone (as well as the embarrassment of having the set piece coach running up and down the touchline barking orders, having Martinez take free kicks at 60 minutes, and passing notes around the pitch like a group of giggling schoolgirls).

Purslow and our Billionaire owners have done what good business men do. Changed things at the bottom, given those at the top the chance to make it work, and then when they have failed sacked him. Dean Smith did a fabulous job on the whole, but we should undeniably be in a better position than we find ourselves in, and so it's on to the next man.

Gerrard wasn't my choice for the job, but the more i hear about him and his backroom team the more excited i become, and what must the board have told him of their plans that made him so happy to join us, when just 3 weeks earlier he was so ahppy and settled when Newcastle came knocking with their huge sacks of cash ?

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

as this is almost certainly been driven by Purslow his balls are well and truly on the chopping block. If Gerrard fails then Purslow follows him out the door.

The owners will have signed off on this so unless Purslow backed it to the point he offered to fall on his sword if it doesn't work out, this is highly doubtful. 

Â