Christian Purslow

villan-scott

This certainly seems a Purslow rather than a Lange appointment, which makes you wonder if Lange has had any input here. I would expect the Sporting Director to be picking the manager, especially if he was reponsible for the coaching appointments in the summer. 

Were Danks and McPhee Smith's men? Should they have been? Or shoudl Lange have bouht them in, same with Gerrard, is it Lange or Purslow? I'm not convinced we have clear remits of who is responsible for who and what. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, commander said:

This certainly seems a Purslow rather than a Lange appointment, which makes you wonder if Lange has had any input here. I would expect the Sporting Director to be picking the manager, especially if he was reponsible for the coaching appointments in the summer. 

Were Danks and McPhee Smith's men? Should they have been? Or shoudl Lange have bouht them in, same with Gerrard, is it Lange or Purslow? I'm not convinced we have clear remits of who is responsible for who and what. 

I have no idea but my intuition says Danks and MacPhee were the clubs men, not Smiths.

• Like 2

I have expressed a few reservations about Purslow, mainly revolving around his love of the limelight. But that’s hardly a big thing. He’s probably made mistakes in the past but who hasn’t? 

I can’t imagine that he views this appointment as anything but extremely important to the club and therefore equally vital to his own future here. With that in mind he would have made sure that we had undertaken all the necessary due diligence on Steve Gerrard and all the other credible candidates. 

He may not be perfect, but he isn’t stupid. This appointment is big for us fans,  for Gerrard himself, Purslow and of course the owners. No one is taking this as anything but very serious. Fail and us fans will be upset, NSWE will be upset and the other two parties involved will probably be out of work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I have to say I struggle to think that any other CEO in the Premier League would have had Gerrard so emphatically as first choice.  I just hope Purslow has judged Gerrard's character as well as he did with Dean and it isn't just the ultimate example of fanboyism.

Purslow is hired to make big decisions. 

He has made 2/3 of his biggest decisions in the last 5 days which will probably shape his tenure at the club.

One of those decisions was to remove a Villa man (prematurely in the eyes of many) and replace him with a fairly inexperienced Liverpool man, who he clearly admired from his playing days. If this doesn't go well, it will put him firmly in the crossair of fans if this doesn't work out. 

He's not stupid, he knows if this doesn't go right and fairly quickly, he will be sacked by owners or the fans will make his job untenable. But he still made the decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I have to say I struggle to think that any other CEO in the Premier League would have had Gerrard so emphatically as first choice.  I just hope Purslow has judged Gerrard's character as well as he did with Dean and it isn't just the ultimate example of fanboyism.

I struggle to name another PL CEO let alone know anything about their ability. I’m not defending Purslow I have some doubts about him but he might have got this appointment right. Possibly by luck but let’s see. 

The best CEO we have had in a very long time. Had clearly planned things out and has acted in the best interests of the club in a very emotional situation (everyone loves Deano including me).  A good few weeks for him, he has come away with a lot of credit with me.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

I have no idea but my intuition says Danks and MacPhee were the clubs men, not Smiths.

I think Gerrard is a much tougher man than smith - I don’t see him being told who to have on his staff , with Dean I think he was happy to be here whatever the restrictions 

• Like 1

Its all been handled swiftly and professionally, which is something we can always level at the ownership and Purslow.

None of this Spurs sacking Mourinho with no plan in place, or Everton sacking Marco Silva and scratching around for about a month to end up with Allardyce. We are very efficient at boardroom level and just getting Gerrard to quit Rangers mid season is impressive. He has always maintained excellence as a player and no doubt will hold himself to that standard as a manager too which bodes well for us. UTV

• Like 2

Must have spoke to Gerrard before he sacked Smith to make sure he was up for it and the speed in which it has moved. I wonder how many other managers were interviewed or even asked.  Maybe he had spoke to him before the Newcastle job was offered as well, seems likely. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tinker said:

Must have spoke to Gerrard before he sacked Smith to make sure he was up for it and the speed in which it has moved. I wonder how many other managers were interviewed or even asked.  Maybe he had spoke to him before the Newcastle job was offered as well, seems likely. 

He did....

Purslow  " Steven, how are you son, god I've missed you. Anyway now that I've got the other guy out the way, how about you come and work with me as we talked about when I used to clean your boots....with my tongue? I'll pay you huge wages...Don't worry, the owners don't care about spending money or throwing it away, they've no ambition whatsoever. The squad is worth over 300m and we've a huge war chest to spend. What do you say?".

Gerrard  "Eeeerm....Is there a lock on the chest?".

32 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, we all know on this forum how a rumour can become gospel. Find that a bit hard to believe of a hardnosed businessman like Purslow.

Not that I’m disagreeing with you but he was a bit like that with Jack at times. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

There were a few too many on here earlier in the week wanting to throw Christian to the lions. 

Give it a game or two and everyone on here could be bringing the lion to his front door , especially if Norwich win a few games with Smith in charge. Fingers crossed Purslow knows what's his doing and a "few too many" don't   

Our 6th game with Gerrard as manager is...... Norwich 😬

Edited by tinker

Â