Christian Purslow

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree. I was just trying to say why these types of job holders leave me a bit cold, sometimes.

I'm just trying to say to you, they don't with me....They must have unsavoury tasks, that need doing, it might not be their personal choice, but that's their job.

as an example......Neville Chamberlain was a much nicer person than Winstone, but needs must......My best mate, before he passed away, was a slaughter man....if I stopped to think of what he did for a living, he wouldn't be my best mate, even though he was funny,a villa fan and good company.

Life is not just roses around the doors, that would be Utopia.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WHY said:

I’ve stated before Purslow isn’t my type of bloke, this confirms it. He is also a bit of a media whore imo. Never misses an opportunity to get himself heard. 

You don't have to go out with him, he just runs a business ;)

26 minutes ago, WHY said:

I’ve stated before Purslow isn’t my type of bloke, this confirms it. He is also a bit of a media whore imo. Never misses an opportunity to get himself heard. 

Er isn't that his job? I don't think the owners have done a single external interview yet. If he wasn't at Villa I wouldn't exactly warm to him but he knows what he is doing which is  a upgrade on our previous ceo's.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Fair enough. The Club is doing some thing with Non Fungible Tokens. It's done some things with Season ticket holders and passing on tickets, it's done some things (or not done them so much) around consultation, it's done some things around the pricing of tickets...

He's polished, intelligent, knowledgeable, focused, well educated - lots of good stuff. But, but from time to time I come across people like that at work - talking about "delivering value", and efficiencies and leveraging shareholder blah blah...

The only ones who actually make things better overall, as opposed to collecting a ton of money for themselves and then moving on, or being moved on, are the ones that "get" the essence of what they are involved in. I guess he'd say he does exactly that. Does get "it" and Villa. But part of me wonders how much he or the club feel they want to keep us lot happy around stuff like the details that affect us directly. They basically don't live in our world. Maybe they'd say they want to keep the paying customers happy and coming back for more. But at the same time they want to achieve their aims around TV money, income and all the rest. Much of that stuff runs against our interests or experiences.

Which top clubs have owners that “get” their football clubs whilst also doing the best for it financially? Leicester maybe? Man City but they are in a different stratosphere financially.

Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal all have issues with their owners and finances in one way or another. Have you seen what Chelsea have done with their season ticket prices?

I think we’re in a pretty good place with our ownership and whilst yes, they do look to the money making opportunities within the fan base, I don’t think its entirely unreasonable. Obviously Purslow is a business man rather than a football man first and foremost but I think I’m ok with that as long as he’s a decent human which I believe he is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We should be pumping money into grass roots. Money should be stopped from leaving the game in the hundreds of millions to agents that do nothing for the sport.

As for topping up lower league clubs. What is the point. Honestly?

They will continue to spend beyond their means. They will just do that exactly the same way and to the same degree. Always.

The system is broken.

Derby and Villa play off final.

What we both did to get to that final was absolutely abhorrent. The reckless spending the disgusting throwing of money around. I am absolute partially ashamed of those years.

So yeah why would support a club that acted as we did.

We deserved to go to the wall.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh Dear.

good job, you are not a Chelsea or Man city fan.....and don't look to Newcastle for your salvation.

"The end of the world is nigh " as we know it......I suggest we just get back to watching a football match, with the best players, we can get, like the others do.

17 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Which top clubs have owners that “get” their football clubs whilst also doing the best for it financially? Leicester maybe? Man City but they are in a different stratosphere financially.

Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal all have issues with their owners and finances in one way or another. Have you seen what Chelsea have done with their season ticket prices?

I think we’re in a pretty good place with our ownership and whilst yes, they do look to the money making opportunities within the fan base, I don’t think its entirely unreasonable. Obviously Purslow is a business man rather than a football man first and foremost but I think I’m ok with that as long as he’s a decent human which I believe he is.

That’s my point, to an extent, the first paragraph. Clubs now are the assets of extremely wealthy men, run and honed to compete with each other, via mega finance. Very few care much for supporters, beyond us providing a colourful backdrop. So when they talk about their world and work it leaves me cold.

Ours seem a well intentioned and capable bunch, and committed with it. I’m not knocking any of the 3 of them, merely saying our worlds are not comparable and when they talk it mostly leaves me cold

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WHY said:

I’m not a fan of his either. But as I said before I’m not a Villa fan because of the CEO. I couldn’t give a shit about the guy as long as he is running the club well.  I doubt he cares too much about what fans think of him either.

• Like 1

The irony is, the people moaning about the Club not electing to share further funds, and things like ticket prices etc,  are the same ones who want the best facilities, the best players, best managers, media etc 🤦🏿

It's not a videogame with a cheatcode where you can just generate these things.

There has to be a balance, do we even turn a profit?

• Thanks 1

Thankless task keeping a club ran in line with its fans expectations.  Its obvious we are going the youth route for the future as its the only way we will generate enough funds either by selling or by buying certain players to compliment the home growns in key areas. 

It will take a few years to get a conveyor belt of talent like Chelsea has but its the right way to go about it based on our commercial potential being somewhat limited. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We should be pumping money into grass roots. Money should be stopped from leaving the game in the hundreds of millions to agents that do nothing for the sport.

As for topping up lower league clubs. What is the point. Honestly?

They will continue to spend beyond their means. They will just do that exactly the same way and to the same degree. Always.

The system is broken.

Derby and Villa play off final.

What we both did to get to that final was absolutely abhorrent. The reckless spending the disgusting throwing of money around. I am absolute partially ashamed of those years.

So yeah why would support a club that acted as we did.

We deserved to go to the wall.

Yep, I agree with this. They COULD very easily make money and be self sustaining, but they CHOOSE to pay stupid money for players they can't afford and wages that they can't pay. 

We would have absolutely deserved to have gone under with our utterly reckless spending after relegation and Derby have clearly been living well beyond their means as well. 

It's no different to any other business, you budget prudently and spend within your means and you should be fine.  These clubs have all survived for a hundred plus years for most of them. If they're in trouble it's because they've spent too much now. 

Look at Blues, got all that money for Bellingham then instead of battening down the hatches and keeping the club healthy they give us money for Hogan and take on his presumably above average wages on. 

This year after Covid when they're in clear and present financial danger they go take on scumbag.  Why? They should have been looking to offload players not take on new ones. 

So now it's we want to take on Deeney and we want you to stick your hand in your pocket to pay for him because we're poor please? 

There is a lot of talk on here about respecting the football pyramid. The problem is the clubs in it are not respecting the pyramid and all spending like they're further up in. 

To progress up it you need to be clever and smart and better run than your peers and the clubs above you, not trying to buy your way past them.  That's how Leicester managed to get themselves to the very top of that Pyramid, not by spending more money than Citeh and Chelsea. 

If you haven't got it don't spend it. 

They should stop docking clubs points for financial irregularities and start fining owners, or make them put up a bond which is payable of they **** up. That'll learn em quick enough. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Fair enough. The Club is doing some thing with Non Fungible Tokens. It's done some things with Season ticket holders and passing on tickets, it's done some things (or not done them so much) around consultation, it's done some things around the pricing of tickets...

He's polished, intelligent, knowledgeable, focused, well educated - lots of good stuff. But, but from time to time I come across people like that at work - talking about "delivering value", and efficiencies and leveraging shareholder blah blah...

The only ones who actually make things better overall, as opposed to collecting a ton of money for themselves and then moving on, or being moved on, are the ones that "get" the essence of what they are involved in. I guess he'd say he does exactly that. Does get "it" and Villa. But part of me wonders how much he or the club feel they want to keep us lot happy around stuff like the details that affect us directly. They basically don't live in our world. Maybe they'd say they want to keep the paying customers happy and coming back for more. But at the same time they want to achieve their aims around TV money, income and all the rest. Much of that stuff runs against our interests or experiences.

I have been struggling to articulate what I don't like about him and I think you sum it up there.

He just seems like he's a typically corporate character and his attempts at getting down with the fans, rings a false note.

• Thanks 1

I like him, he talks sense and isn't afraid of getting stuck in to the likes of Jordan whilst at the same time being able to rise above him

We need him to be more vocal if anything, we say we're this big club well if that's the case purslow has to be a mouthpiece 

A big PL decision gets made and talksport have purslow as their go to guy for a soundbite? I've got no problem with that, as long as he represents us well 

Listening to him I also believe that he doesn't take a backseat when the 20 PL clubs meet up to make those big decisions, I bet he jumps in with both feet to get his point across to the other 19, my biggest criticism of Lerner is that he wasn't vocal enough on FFP, I don't see that problem with purslow, if something is shit for Aston Villa he will tell it how he sees it to anyone that listen 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That’s my point, to an extent, the first paragraph. Clubs now are the assets of extremely wealthy men, run and honed to compete with each other, via mega finance. Very few care much for supporters, beyond us providing a colourful backdrop. So when they talk about their world and work it leaves me cold.

Ours seem a well intentioned and capable bunch, and committed with it. I’m not knocking any of the 3 of them, merely saying our worlds are not comparable and when they talk it mostly leaves me cold

This is very true. However, lets think back.... way back. Did anyone like Doug Ellis? I gather most of us could find a few choice words to describe(if your old enough) him I'm sure, some words far more creative than cold. It's not just owners now but this has been the case for decades. They all have their own agenda and always will have, it's just that it's all a bit richer now. They've always been slags though and it will always be them and us. Most the CEOs, Owners are about as caring as Politicians with regards to the man or woman on the street. They're only interested in business or ego, or both. Never the fans.

TBH I couldn't care less what Purslow is truly like. As long as he continues to do the job better than his predecessors then I'm okay with that.    

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Thankless task keeping a club ran in line with its fans expectations. 

We only want a sustainable club, that signs the best player in the world, the best future talent in the world, doesn't sell any of our world class talent, develops our own world class talent, and isn't run by a state known for crimes against humanity. Oh, and pints that fill up from the bottom. 

If Purslow can't deliver this, we need to find someone who can.

• Like 1

Â