Christian Purslow

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well I think he comes over really badly in that interview, especially that 'the Premier League isn't the problem, everything good in English football is in the Premier League' soundbite which is horrific.

He's a money man, of course that's his view

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Have to say, putting the partisan stuff to one side, that on this one I agree with Jordan. The PL is a giant that stands atop the shoulders of the EFL, and would not be where it is without the historical support of the pyramid.

There is an obligation on behalf of the Premier league to support lower leagues.  

Purslow doesn't back away from that obligation. That isn't what the argument was about, unless I misunderstood. He is merely pointing out the facts, the £1.6bn over the last 3 years and the £250m interest free loan being examples of where the Premier League has supported the pyramid, he doesn't appear to say whether he thought that was too much. 

You can certainly make the case they could offer more. I probably would. But whether they could arguably hinge on your view of the way clubs like Derby and Aston Villa have acted in the past and whether the Premier League clubs should be doing more to cover for their immense stupidity, rather than those clubs themselves doing more to act within their means and support the leagues they find/found themselves in. 

• Like 2

Sorry to be blunt but the top clubs owe the rest of football, the pyramid, nothing. The fact that they choose to do so may be altruistic but I doubt it is, it is likely to avert taxation and intervention or interference, that that interference is wrong in itself. The fact that the top end of football has been managed and marketed so well is credit to those who run the game, greed is inevitably there. The rest of football will always be there because the top end of football is so alluring. Money will more than trickle down, because the top end is so lucrative. That’s how many well managed business survive, look at Brentford, look at romantic FA cup ties.

The football system is pretty slick and the market mechanism sets the values accordingly, most get what they deserve in terms of their place in the earning capacity of their club etc, except possibly Agents and FIFA officials where it is still rotten.

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have been struggling to articulate what I don't like about him and I think you sum it up there.

He just seems like he's a typically corporate character and his attempts at getting down with the fans, rings a false note.

The thing is, typical corporate characters can also be football fans. He's not working class in the slightest, nor would he ever claim to be, but football is no longer a game solely of and for the working classes and hasn't been for many decades. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I find the fawning over Purslow a bit weird. He's not one of us, the golden goose he doesn't want to kill is their ability to milk us of every penny they can. While his goals for the club may match ours in part, it's a coincidence and the motivations are very different. Hearing him speak leaves me cold.

Purslow has done a great job at Villa since he came in, and is far superior to many who have performed similar roles at the club.

But he comes across as a bit of a prat in that interview... a sort of Jeremy Kyle / Robert Kilroy / Richard Madeley hybrid. It's hard to see what he's achieved by getting into an argument with Simon Jordan on TalkShite.

Edited by KentVillan

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I like him, he talks sense and isn't afraid of getting stuck in to the likes of Jordan whilst at the same time being able to rise above him

We need him to be more vocal if anything, we say we're this big club well if that's the case purslow has to be a mouthpiece 

A big PL decision gets made and talksport have purslow as their go to guy for a soundbite? I've got no problem with that, as long as he represents us well 

Listening to him I also believe that he doesn't take a backseat when the 20 PL clubs meet up to make those big decisions, I bet he jumps in with both feet to get his point across to the other 19, my biggest criticism of Lerner is that he wasn't vocal enough on FFP, I don't see that problem with purslow, if something is shit for Aston Villa he will tell it how he sees it to anyone that listen 

I get the distinct impression that some don't seem to want a strong voice in their corner.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well I think he comes over really badly in that interview, especially that 'the Premier League isn't the problem, everything good in English football is in the Premier League' soundbite which is horrific.

I think it depends on your context. 

I don't think he comes across poorly at all if we're looking at it from the perspective of CEOs and those that run football clubs at the highest level in the pyramid system. We know the game is all about money and hearing our CEO confirm as much doesn't make him sound bad at all, but the type of CEO that we probably need in the pool we're swimming in.

Regarding the Premier League not being the problem, again I think that needs to be seen in the context of the report. There are many issues that it dealt with from the governance, to agents, to transfer fees, regulators and so on. The core of that isn't the Premier League - although the counter argument would be that there wouldn't be as much around the game if it weren't for the Premier League and its riches. But what is the alternative to it? We certainly do not want to strip it back to the point where we lose the best players, the best coaches and lose what is now undoubtedly the best league in world football. There is non t compare to it.

I also do not like the ideas of regulators - name any business or ex nationalised company where regulators have made one iota of difference for the consumer in real terms? And I'm not for fan ownership or too much influence when it comes to multi billion pound industries in which the vast majority of us have no understanding. Yes, there are conversations to be had over ticketing and replica kits and so on, but not as to the running of a club. It may work for lower league clubs which are more often than not run by local business people, but not for Premier League clubs.

The game has changed. The world has changed. Football needs better governance undoubtedly, but we do not want to make knee jerk reaction responses because we as fans think we know best. We have emotional attachments to not just the club, but to the area, and our decisions are weighed heavily that way. Changes are needed - and although I don't agree with everything Purslow said, as a CEO I think he had at least 19 other nodding heads. Those are the people that need to work this out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

The people at the very top organising the game in a way that encourages the Derby’s of this world doing what they’ve done is the real problem, of course

In what way were Derby encouraged? How on earth can anyone other than Derby's owners be the problem there? They've run their club with reckless abandon. 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Usually comes across well in the media but thought that was poor from him. Motivated by Jim White kissing his ass

He also bottled the Newcastle question 

Not sure he did. He saw the trap White was setting for him and avoided it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In what way were Derby encouraged? How on earth can anyone other than Derby's owners be the problem there? They've run their club with reckless abandon. 

That’s the problem, they’ve been given millions of pounds to grant them freedom to make those mistakes and ruin their club.

The big problem in my opinion is the process in which clubs are allowed to be sold to crap owners. Better steps need to be implemented to ensure owners handle the clubs better, but beyond that what can you do? It’s a business at the end of the day, and you’re going to get bad business owners in any field.

12 hours ago, blandy said:

That’s my point, to an extent, the first paragraph. Clubs now are the assets of extremely wealthy men, run and honed to compete with each other, via mega finance. Very few care much for supporters, beyond us providing a colourful backdrop. So when they talk about their world and work it leaves me cold.

Ours seem a well intentioned and capable bunch, and committed with it. I’m not knocking any of the 3 of them, merely saying our worlds are not comparable and when they talk it mostly leaves me cold

You could say the same for virtually all top flight and most championship players who earn more in a couple of weeks than most people do per year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thunderball said:

Sorry to be blunt but the top clubs owe the rest of football, the pyramid, nothing. The fact that they choose to do so may be altruistic but I doubt it is, it is likely to avert taxation and intervention or interference, that that interference is wrong in itself. The fact that the top end of football has been managed and marketed so well is credit to those who run the game, greed is inevitably there. The rest of football will always be there because the top end of football is so alluring. Money will more than trickle down, because the top end is so lucrative. That’s how many well managed business survive, look at Brentford, look at romantic FA cup ties.

The football system is pretty slick and the market mechanism sets the values accordingly, most get what they deserve in terms of their place in the earning capacity of their club etc, except possibly Agents and FIFA officials where it is still rotten.

On the other hand it is in everyone's interests to have a competitive league structure all the way down the pyramid. In my opinion one of the reasons why the Premier League has been more successful than Spain or Germany is because there is not just one or two teams who win every game and a newly promoted team does actually beat one of the title challengers every season.   

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Probably the wrong word to use, but I mean the closed shop at the top of football, and the crazy money involved in wages and transfers meaning that if a club wants to satisfy its frustrated fans especially at clubs that used to have success they try to do stupid things. It’s the lack of competition in the competition that drives it.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Â