Christian Purslow

villan-scott

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We are yet to know whether any blame needs to be apportioned. Whether this was a board decision to spend right up to the maximum in order to move us forward. In my opinion it is this. NWSE are not here to post healthy profits. If you dont win things then theres very little point in owning us. They could invest in many other things that make huge profits  . But they are here to go for glory and be excited. Its a good thing rather than bad if we have managed to stay the right side of it 

I think the issue is more that Purslow made the wrong decisions in increasing the costs/wages with Gerrard, Coutinho, Diego Carlos, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Bednarek, Olsen, and Ludwig. Now - fair play - not all of that is down to Purslow as we did have Lange at the time, but he ultimately signed off on all of these decisions. Kamara was a gem and a great recruit but you rattle off that list and see how it set us back in terms of FPP. for a few years (not to mention the payoff to Gerrard, the buyout of Unai).

It all ended well enough, but while Purslow had a lot of credit in the bank for promotion/survival/key signings still playing for us now - all of that credit went out once the Grealish transfer started all the way until his departure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/03/2024 at 13:54, Zatman said:

Maybe he should be taking some of the blame for these financial results since it seems the wage bill issue is from 2022/23

giphy.gif

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think the issue is more that Purslow made the wrong decisions in increasing the costs/wages with Gerrard, Coutinho, Diego Carlos, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Bednarek, Olsen, and Ludwig. Now - fair play - not all of that is down to Purslow as we did have Lange at the time, but he ultimately signed off on all of these decisions. Kamara was a gem and a great recruit but you rattle off that list and see how it set us back in terms of FPP. for a few years (not to mention the payoff to Gerrard, the buyout of Unai).

It all ended well enough, but while Purslow had a lot of credit in the bank for promotion/survival/key signings still playing for us now - all of that credit went out once the Grealish transfer started all the way until his departure.

With respect, the buyout of Emery’s contract is going to be an unavoidable cost. If you want him, you pay the compensation. 

The only way that could be levelled at being a stick to beat Purslow with is upon Smith’s sacking, Emery wasn’t employed but Gerrard was still chosen anyway.

Paying Rangers for Gerrard, paying him off, yes fine, his doing, his fault. Paying off Villareal in order to appoint Emery, not so much.

Also, maybe I’ve missed something, but were the likes of Bednarek on wages that warrant their inclusion with the likes of Coutinho? I dare say someone like Barkley was a bigger hit to the finances all things considered but he wasn’t signed under Gerrard so subsequently he’s not so much of a stick to hit Purslow with.

I suppose ultimately the difference is I don’t discount all the previous years credit for a bad 12-18 months.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

With respect, the buyout of Emery’s contract is going to be an unavoidable cost. If you want him, you pay the compensation. 

The only way that could be levelled at being a stick to beat Purslow with is upon Smith’s sacking, Emery wasn’t employed but Gerrard was still chosen anyway.

Paying Rangers for Gerrard, paying him off, yes fine, his doing, his fault. Paying off Villareal in order to appoint Emery, not so much.

Also, maybe I’ve missed something, but were the likes of Bednarek on wages that warrant their inclusion with the likes of Coutinho? I dare say someone like Barkley was a bigger hit to the finances all things considered but he wasn’t signed under Gerrard so subsequently he’s not so much of a stick to hit Purslow with.

I suppose ultimately the difference is I don’t discount all the previous years credit for a bad 12-18 months.

Bednarek was probably on 40-50k a week. Coutinho cost more than him and Barkley since we also didn't buy them

Apparently he spent 1.2 million on Critchley who we then had to pay out because his highly paid Golden Boy was inept

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bednarek was probably on 40-50k a week. Coutinho cost more than him and Barkley since we also didn't buy them

Apparently he spent 1.2 million on Critchley who we then had to pay out because his highly paid Golden Boy was inept

Bednarek on that for a matter of months, yeah? Not great business, no one is saying it is. I’m saying it’s not Coutinho level bad business.

What was the loan fee for Barkley? I seem to recall it being quite high. I’m betting his wages weren’t terribly low either.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â