John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Liverpool can't click their fingers and expect players to walk over hot coals to sign for them anymore (it isn't the 1970s). Money is tight up there, their owners are reluctant to splash the cash and they don't pay the really big fees that big clubs would want for their best players. John is happy at Villa Park. I don't see him doing a Yorke and agitating for a move away any time soon. I think he has bought into our owners project. We are not a selling club now and we should not look to sell to a club that we are looking to compete with, before too very long. For me, John is probably out of their price range and our message to them should be, "thanks for your interest, but we are not interested in selling and in any case... 

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T AFFORD ME - quickmeme 

1 hour ago, useless said:

People on here constantly insisting that Southampton wouldn't sell Ward-Prowse for less than £60m, but then insist we can't turn down £42m for McGInn. McGinn is the better player, I bet most managers would take him over Ward-Prowse, even if you disagree with that Ward-Prowse certainly isn't twenty million pounds better than McGinn. The fact that Liverpool want McGinn in the first place, if it is indeed a fact, should tell you how good he is, and that we shouldn't be in a rush to sell him.

Yep this, we don't need to sell him.

This is the big difference with now and in the past, we dont need to sell our better players

McGinn would be an upgrade on Henderson is my thinking.  And he could work on his passing over the top, like Henderson has, but if you need someone to get around the pitch, McGinn wins hands-down.

That said, still can't see him leaving this summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m happy to agree to disagree but in my opinion he cared about himself and not about the club. We finished 6th three years on the bounce and showed no sign of progress could you imagine if we do that under Dean for the next three years? VT would be an hysterical screaming match but more relevantly Dean would probably lose his job. 

The fact he left us a few days before the season started was in my opinion calculated to do the maximum damage. Lerner was spent by then and as a club we’re a different beast now but MON has to carry a fair share of the blame. He hasn’t exactly set the world on fire since then. 

Absolute arrogant arsehole in real life too. It was all about him.

• Thanks 1

50m for a player who is not quite the essential piece of the puzzle he was before is nothing to scoff at. I'd trust Lange and Co to spend the money wisely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blunther said:

Absolute arrogant arsehole in real life too. It was all about him.

And he didn't really have a plan, as evidenced by the slapdash way he recruited mediocre, overpriced players that didn't blend together. The Moscow capitulation was typical O'Neill. Trying hard to be clever but failing hard. He was in some ways, the worst best manager we could have found at the time. A net loss for the club in retrospect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

50m for a player who is not quite the essential piece of the puzzle he was before is nothing to scoff at. I'd trust Lange and Co to spend the money wisely.

That’s very much the point. In the past we’ve sold from a position of weakness with players wanting to leave because we were going nowhere. Now we are strong and players aren’t so keen to leave and we don’t have to sell. 

However if we do sell it will be for a price we decide and the money will be used to improve the squad, instead of being squandered as it has so many times before. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And he didn't really have a plan, as evidenced by the slapdash way he recruited mediocre, overpriced players that didn't blend together. The Moscow capitulation was typical O'Neill. Trying hard to be clever but failing hard. He was in some ways, the worst best manager we could have found at the time. A net loss for the club in retrospect. 

He could never live up to his mentor Brian Clough.....and it was the Albatross around his neck....He could never quite Please Brian, and it was a burden he always carried, sadly he took it with him in to management and became the same to other players.

Not a nice man.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smith loves McGinn. Really don't see us selling him. 

From what I see on the pitch, I think McGinn is very replaceable and I'd have used him in rotation a lot more last season. But Smith obviously sees it differently given how much he played last season when he was seemingly out of form. And it's good that Smith sees it differently cos he's the professional and I'm not. 

• Like 2

Anything over £40m is great value.

But. We upset the balance of the dressing room by losing McGinn. I'd be convinced Jack is leaving if we sold McGinn.

Liverpool rarely spend loads of money on a player, McGinn is not the missing piece to their midfield. He's not a replacement for either Henderson or Wijnaldum. 

Scotland's last day in the Euros, he's one of their best players. Easy transfer link with more than usual clicks to come from it. Nothing to see here

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Like Leicester admitted after they sold Kante, Maguire, Mahrez and Chilwell? Oh wait, they won the FA Cup and came 5th this year. Every player has his price. If we can't improve the squad with £42.5m in exchange for John McGinn - we need sack the entire recruitment team.

Leicester fought tooth and nail to keep Maguire, Mahrez, and Chillwell. They made the buying club improve their bid multiple times, sometimes stretching the process out over an entire season, before they agreed to sell and then only because the player wanted to leave. 

The way people on here are talking if Liverpool offer us 40 million we will take it and leave without even putting up a fight. We roasted the previous owner for doing that exact thing. If we are to challenge for Europe then selling our best midfielder without much complaint is definitely not the best way forward. 

• Like 1

The link is probably bollocks but if they bid 45m and I was in charge I would accept, I can easily buy a better player for that money.

I love John, he’s a likeable character, puts a shift in and given us good service.

Every player has their price and I would say that has been met with 45m

As for people saying he is better than JWP, I don’t know about that but I don’t think his value has anything to do with a player at Southampton. It’s about what you personally lose by selling him and what you can do with the money.

• Like 2

Â