John McGinn

PompeyVillan

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The thing is McGinn isn't suited for any role in midfield really. And certainly not in our midfield. As we play 4-2-3-1. If he doesn't learn to play as a 6 then he shouldn't be on the pitch imo. 

You really don’t like or rate him do you?

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You really don’t like or rate him do you?

I like him. I don't rate him.

He just isn't good enough for where we want to be. Unless you truly are among the standout players you really need a defined position and role and sadly McGinn isn't good enough for that. I'd like to be proven wrong but I really don't think I will sadly. 

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I like him. I don't rate him.

He just isn't good enough for where we want to be. Unless you truly are among the standout players you really need a defined position and role and sadly McGinn isn't good enough for that. I'd like to be proven wrong but I really don't think I will sadly. 

I’d give him a chance to prove you wrong… but I would be lying if I denied having doubts over him…

I expect much better from him.

We have to remember that last season was unique and so disruptive… Sanson will push him at least and allow him some rest & recuperation at times instead of being burned out hopefully…

I like the idea of him harnessing his powers and becoming a 6. He does have some good attributes for it, and something has to give in our midfield. He's quick and tenacious already. As others have said, I have some concerns at times about him long term in the team, but this might be a surprisingly genius move.

McGinns at his best in a midfield 3 being allowed to venture forward. He probably does need to alter his game if we see us continuing with a 2 Man midfield and then a 10 ahead of them. (This isy preferred setup)

The only weird thing is that all of our midfielders have no real defined role other than Nakamba. 

Luiz, McGinn and Sanson are all really just CMs. They can play a more defensive role or they can be pushed forward they aren't stand out anything. So it's a tad weird we desperately want defined 6/8's out of them as none of them are. 

It's a weird way to build a squad.

Do we know this to be a fact that McGinn is being converted to a 6?

IF it is, you would think that the hugely experienced coaching staff, and the player, have seen something to suggest that it could work, as opposed to trying to plug a hole with a McGinn shaped arse.  

• Like 1

Looks lean from the OS training pics I’ve seen.

He’s one that looks like he’s carrying a bit of timber most of the time and I think it impacts on his play.

He looks to have been off the haggis and chips this summer so bodes well for the start of the season. 

A fit McGinn alongside Sanson would be a right pain to play against. 

On 16/07/2021 at 00:33, MotoMkali said:

The thing is McGinn isn't suited for any role in midfield really. And certainly not in our midfield. As we play 4-2-3-1. If he doesn't learn to play as a 6 then he shouldn't be on the pitch imo. 

I really enjoy seeing differing views on here.

This is absolute trolling though. Are you just posting for a reaction? Actually, why are you just posting for a reaction?

For all the stick villalad gets, he has never posted such absolute troll-baiting bollocks.

No actual villa fan would say that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

This is absolute trolling though. Are you just posting for a reaction? Actually, why are you just posting for a reaction?

For all the stick villalad gets, he has never posted such absolute troll-baiting bollocks.

Fairly sure they are the same person mate, either that or they are in a private war to win prime troll 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If you look at the defined roles in midfield McGinn doesn't really suit any of them imo. 

His close control and creativity are too poor to be a 10. His tracking back is too spotty to be a 6 or an 8. His pressing is just as inconsistent as is his positional discipline. His short passing is too poor for a 6 as well. He gives away unnecessary free kicks as we are winning the ball back as well. 

He has a number of good attributes such as his long passing and dribbling. But it comes with negatives as well. He quite often over estimates his ability and often only escape due to a very soft foul. And he isn't patient enough in possession when we are dominating games which often means we can't break down the low block because we don't wait for a mistake as he instead looks to play a highlight pass.

Personally I don't think right now he is a good enough player for us to accommodate in midfield. At a lower table club absolutely. But the thing is you have to be a truly special talent if you don't really fit into one position. Hell look at pogba a lot of this is true for him and for most of his time at united he has struggled mightily but for France where he has a creative fulcrum in Griezeman and a defensive anchor in Kante he is one of the best players in world football. 

You either have the perfect personnel to accommodate you which we don't have for McGinn or your sheer quality has to be far above the other options which for mcginn it isn't.

I like him I really do he just isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

He has a great ability to find space, turn his man, dig us out of a hole, and occasionally ping a world class long ball or run with the ball a bit. He doesn't press, tackle or intercept well enough to be a 6, so it means he has to be the 8 alongside the 6.

I think Luiz has a higher ceiling as a number 8 and Sanson may yet prove to be a better number 8 also. 

He will need to improve either the defensive side of his game, or get more consistent at his offensive side to hold his place this season.

Love the bloke, best character we have in the squad by a mile,  but feel like we've grown quicker than he has (probably due to his fitness/ injuries) and this feels to me like a make or break season for him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He has a great ability to find space, turn his man, dig us out of a hole, and occasionally ping a world class long ball or run with the ball a bit. He doesn't press, tackle or intercept well enough to be a 6, so it means he has to be the 8 alongside the 6.

I think Luiz has a higher ceiling as a number 8 and Sanson may yet prove to be a better number 8 also. 

He will need to improve either the defensive side of his game, or get more consistent at his offensive side to hold his place this season.

Love the bloke, best character we have in the squad by a mile,  but feel like we've grown quicker than he has (probably due to his fitness/ injuries) and this feels to me like a make or break season for him.

Yeh I agree with most of this. Right now though, he is our best central midfielder. Luiz has potential but he needs to realise it, Sanson could turn out any which way, Ramsey is too raw and Nakamba is limited. 

It’s frustrating because we are absolutely stacked with central midfielders but we don’t really have any balance in there and none of them have the specific skillset to lock down a set position. 

Ive said it numerous times but the absolute must for me now is a defensive midfielder. If we get that right, we’ll limit the amount of shots Martinez faces and we’ll have a really solid spine. With Grealish, Buendia, Watkins and McGinn in front of a proper DM, we’ll score enough goals to win a lot of matches. If we really want to push on, a DM and an AMC are the two positions that need to be strengthened. 

Personally, I’d listen to offers for Luiz and Nakamba (but only sell one) and loan Ramsey out as he desperately needs a run of games. 

• Like 3

I'm guessing we will see quite a lot of 4-3-3 this season with SJM and Sanson as 8's. Certainly against teams where we feel we need to press more in the centre. Personally, I would be investing in a quality number 6 and moving Doug to compete for a number 8 role as well.

• Like 3

The focus will be on Wes' rustiness but for me McGinn was the disappointing player today. I expected Wes to tire quickly, and look off the pace.

McGinn's style felt at odds with everybody else on the pitch and he was there with the reserves.

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The focus will be on Wes' rustiness but for me McGinn was the disappointing player today. I expected Wes to tire quickly, and look off the pace.

McGinn's style felt at odds with everybody else on the pitch and he was there with the reserves.

McGinn isn't a top 6  player.

I know Smith look at him as a part of our "spine" I just really think we need better

Â