John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 27/06/2021 at 04:40, sidcow said:

For what it's worth I think he will be much better next season and we've still not seen his ceiling yet. I also think Smith thinks this and he'll not be gone just yet. 

Really? He's 27 in a few months and has stopped developing IMO, I think he's reached his ceiling and depending on who we bring in will be probably start the season as a first pick but then fall away. If we could sell him for anything over 25 mil this summer that would be very very strewd business indeed.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Waste excellent positions by being inpatient and trying to play a 50yrd pass or take a 40 yrd shot? 

Ok ok, I know you’re not a fan…

But surely you can acknowledge that he is and would be a better 8 than a 6?

His pressing, driving forward and ability to nick the ball off the opposition are his strengths.

I would be concerned if he was playing further back and continued to be loose and sloppy in possession as he was last season…

He’s a favourite at the club and of Dean’s and Jack’s so he’s not going anywhere and we have to utilise him as best we can.

If we can get him fully conditioned, in tip top shape, fitness & form, he will be a huge asset. With a stronger squad, we won’t have to play him all the time and wear him out either…

Anyway, I’m hoping for Sanson to be better and potentially take his starting role…

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Ok ok, I know you’re not a fan…

But surely you can acknowledge that he is and would be a better 8 than a 6?

His pressing, driving forward and ability to nick the ball off the opposition are his strengths.

I would be concerned if he was playing further back and continued to be loose and sloppy in possession as he was last season…

He’s a favourite at the club and of Dean’s and Jack’s so he’s not going anywhere and we have to utilise him as best we can.

If we can get him fully conditioned, in tip top shape, fitness & form, he will be a huge asset. With a stronger squad, we won’t have to play him all the time and wear him out either…

Anyway, I’m hoping for Sanson to be better and potentially take his starting role…

No he's much better deeper where he can turn and run with the ball. And his long passing is an asset on the break. I don't like it when we are high up in possession and putting pressure on the defence and he plays a floaty long ball that allows defenders to close down and get back in shape.

Honestly though his pressing is overrated. He does a lot of highlight presses but very rarely any in the defensive third which is where you typically expect to win the ball back. He doesn't track his runner playing him further forward would exacerbate that problem.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

No he's much better deeper where he can turn and run with the ball. And his long passing is an asset on the break. I don't like it when we are high up in possession and putting pressure on the defence and he plays a floaty long ball that allows defenders to close down and get back in shape.

Honestly though his pressing is overrated. He does a lot of highlight presses but very rarely any in the defensive third which is where you typically expect to win the ball back. He doesn't track his runner playing him further forward would exacerbate that problem.

Well explained but I don’t think he’s suited to the defensive side of the game, not playing further back or as a DM. He’s never a DM imo.

The further back he loses the ball, the more danger for us too…

Sorry posted it in Wes thread when it's more relevant here.....bit shocked he's already backed in training when he last played on Tuesday 22nd June so he's barely had 3 weeks off. Should be a month minimum so hope we're not going to pull the same thing with Jack and Mings (Emi a bit different with him being a keeper so three weeks off for him is fine). If we have to ease them in for first 2-3 games so be it.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sorry posted it in Wes thread when it's more relevant here.....bit shocked he's already backed in training when he last played on Tuesday 22nd June so he's barely had 3 weeks off. Should be a month minimum so hope we're not going to pull the same thing with Jack and Mings (Emi a bit different with him being a keeper so three weeks off for him is fine). If we have to ease them in for first 2-3 games so be it.

Martinez has been back to BMH already 🙂

• Shocked 1

I think McGinn being converted to a 6 is the right decision. He is very wasteful going forward. 

As everyone keeps mentioning he is great at nicking the ball back so why can't he do that when closer to our defence to protect them. He has all the great traits to be a great ball winning midfielder.

We have to work on his ball retention but with coaching that shouldn't be too much of a concern. 

• Like 1

I think tackling is a skill or even an art form. To think McGinn can just become a top tackler magically is highly unlikely. And being a top notch DMC you need to tackle successfully lots. 

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

I think McGinn being converted to a 6 is the right decision. He is very wasteful going forward. 

As everyone keeps mentioning he is great at nicking the ball back so why can't he do that when closer to our defence to protect them. He has all the great traits to be a great ball winning midfielder.

We have to work on his ball retention but with coaching that shouldn't be too much of a concern. 

Based on the 2nd half of last season, he is going to lose the ball a lot and as a 6 he will lose it in the most dangerous areas too…

(The last thing we need is to invite even more pressure on our defence and GK. We must address that, huge priority).

Loose control, loose passing, hurried passes and aimless long balls… we need to insist that he concentrates and prioritises passing it short… he has a decent long pass in his locker but has been very unreliable with it…

Would be a major concern for me…

But Dean will be the best judge…

…this could be crap too, maybe he’ll just become a more disciplined 8…

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I think tackling is a skill or even an art form. To think McGinn can just become a top tackler magically is highly unlikely. And being a top notch DMC you need to tackle successfully lots. 

He’s an all action player, I just can’t ever see him being that controlled or disciplined. It’s not his style or game.

He seems to make more errors when he tries to be like that and is more effective when he is running around and causing havoc for the opposition…

Changing the way SMJ plays smacks to me of teaching old dogs new tricks..it rarely works out.

I hope there is some kind of contigency if "this new number 6" crapology falls flat on its arse...excuse the arse reference..I reckon that will have to be retrained as well😅

Â