John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I'd be amazed if SJM left.  And the host of red's sites that are valuing him at circa £20m must be on something pretty strong!  It'd be worth keeping him for that amount JUST to keep Jack happy (although I wonder of they are still best mates after Ginny giving the Scottish RB the inside scoop on how to upset Jack's game!!). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I'd be amazed if SJM left.  And the host of red's sites that are valuing him at circa £20m must be on something pretty strong!  It'd be worth keeping him for that amount JUST to keep Jack happy (although I wonder of they are still best mates after Ginny giving the Scottish RB the inside scoop on how to upset Jack's game!!). 

Straight swap for Salah and Robertson of GTFU.

What helped me a lot was one of the physios at City, who explained it to me very simply. He said, “You’re already a big guy, but you need to do something to deal with the shock when people run at you while you control the ball. We need to build your muscles to absorb it. We need to build the strength in your bum and hips.”

It sounds funny, but your bum can be a very important tool when you play football.

I’m sure a lot of you watched England play Scotland last week in the Euros. What impressed me in that game was how disciplined John McGinn was in midfield, taking the ball from the defence and protecting it from England players before making the pass.

If you look at a picture of McGinn, you can see he has very powerful legs and hips, and there were times where you could see him get the ball with his back to an England player, smell the danger was coming and then use his bum to shield the ball from them. The bum is important as it can create a moment of space between you and another player, so you have more time with the ball.

Yaya appreciating something we've been appreciating for a good while now.

• Like 2

On 20/06/2021 at 20:28, Stoobs said:

And my team, St.Mirren, get a percentage of your profit, if Villa do sell him as we were club that developed him. When he first went to Villa, that was my hope. That he performed well and someone else bought him giving Saints a nice little earner. Over last 2 years though, Villa have seeped under my skin and I desperately want him to stay now for the next 5 -10 years. 

Yeah, that Villa bug, you'll sure find it hard to shake that one off. 

Good player and no doubt a great personality to have in and around the dressing room and training ground. But. He needs to earn the shirt for me and shouldn’t be considered an automatic starter. 

In terms of selling McGinn. NSWE won’t keep pumping money in forever and there will come a time when we will need to be more self sustainable.

If we were to sell to sell McGinn, whom we brought for £2.7 million for say £35-£40million, that is an incredible profit. It is the way we should be looking a operating in the future. The mantra has always been to buy players who we can improve and make a profit on. We just need to strike the balance by not weakening ourselves and hindering our progression. But If selling him helps secures James Ward-Prowse, Pape Matar Sarr & Emile Rowe-Smith by bumping the budget, it’s a no brainer. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Just heard outside my window in Sheffield a bunch of lads goin out on piss proper chanting the "We've got Mcginn, super John Mcginn" chant.

Must be Villa fans a lovely sound to always hear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

But If selling him helps secures James Ward-Prowse, Pape Matar Sarr & Emile Rowe-Smith by bumping the budget, it’s a no brainer.

JWP link still looks like nothing but Paul Doyle fever dream. ESR link only one with any legs so far. 

Yaya Toure glowing article about SJM attributes which I'm sure opinion shared by Dean Smith but not good enough for some VT members

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Milfner said:

The Athletic linking him with Liverpool. £42.5m profit, it would make a lot of sense to sell. His value is definitely at its peak right now. 

I mean, that's an insane amount of money for SJM. Surely we would accept that?

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Selling him would be an acceptance that we are never going to compete for European football, basically a repeat of Barry , Milner, Young , Downing exodus 

Like Leicester admitted after they sold Kante, Maguire, Mahrez and Chilwell? Oh wait, they won the FA Cup and came 5th this year. Every player has his price. If we can't improve the squad with £42.5m in exchange for John McGinn - we need sack the entire recruitment team.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Selling him would be an acceptance that we are never going to compete for European football, basically a repeat of Barry , Milner, Young , Downing exodus 

Not if we bought JWP it wouldn't. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don't see McGinn as anywhere near as important to this team as the aforementioned were at the time to theirs (excluding Downing).

McGinn is a player in a position that we should be looking to upgrade and £45-50million would certainly help us on the way to doing that.

• Like 1

Funny one for me. I love SJM, one of my favourite players in recent times and think he is good for the club. However, if the figure going around is correct, can we buy someone with a slightly higher ceiling with a bit more consistency? £42m is a lot of money....

Â