John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Like Leicester admitted after they sold Kante, Maguire, Mahrez and Chilwell? Oh wait, they won the FA Cup and came 5th this year. Every player has his price. If we can't improve the squad with £42.5m in exchange for John McGinn - we need sack the entire recruitment team.

Tbh Leicester reminds me a bit of us under MoN falling at the last hurdle, barring the FA cup win , champions league football was in their grasp all season but like we used to do they let it slip it a recurring theme for them. 

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure we'd sell him £40m.

Obviously it's great money, if we couldn't replace him with a better player for £40m I'd be asking questions of whoever is looking.

What on earth it would do to the dressing room is anyone's guess. I think it would have a monstrous negative effect.

Monstrous negativr effect is a bit of an overreaction no? I don't think the squad is suddenly going to become depressed or unprofessional with Mcginn gone, players move on all the time. We don't really have bad eggs in the squad anymore that can corrupt the mood and I'd like to think we have enough goods and eggs and leaders that will make that far from a reasonable possibilitg.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Monstrous negativr effect is a bit of an overreaction no? I don't think the squad is suddenly going to become depressed or unprofessional with Mcginn gone, players move on all the time. We don't really have bad eggs in the squad anymore that can corrupt the mood and I'd like to think we have enough goods and eggs and leaders that will make that far from a reasonable possibilitg.

it's an overraction but selling the life and soul of the dressing room would have an impact potentially

not to mention he's jack's bestie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think it can be a monstrous negative without suggesting the squad will "suddenly become depressed".

• Like 1

I love SJM.  But £50m is a price we'd reluctantly have to accept.  Everyone bar Jack at AVFC has their price.  On his day he is a great driving force in the team but he's had quite a lot of issues and off-days during his time in the PL, and with so many in the midfield prospected for next season (Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Nakamba, even excluding Jack/Buendia/elGhazi/Trez/Traore) covering 3 positions and us apparently on the lookout for more, I would have thought we'd have to look at guaranteed starters that can propel us to Top 6-8.  SJM would have to guarantee a step up form his last 2 years for us to ignore £50m IMO.  

A great character in the dressing room yes, but they did say that about Snodgrass when he left and look what happened the year after that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Tbh Leicester reminds me a bit of us under MoN falling at the last hurdle, barring the FA cup win , champions league football was in their grasp all season but like we used to do they let it slip it a recurring theme for them. 

Leicester are nothing like us under MON. They’re a well run successful club. You seem to have forgotten that they won the league. OK they don’t have the resources of Man City etc who have very high quality squads in depth, but they’re doing it well and playing the system to the maximum effect.

Under MON Lerner left everything to him, we had no structure behind the scenes and we ran out of steam in March every year, largely down to MON throwing money away on players and never picking them. By March the squad was knackered. I don’t think we won a match in March under him. MON was a wannabe Clough, a charlatan, and a complete and utter fraud. The way he left us was a disgrace. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

People on here constantly insisting that Southampton wouldn't sell Ward-Prowse for less than £60m, but then insist we can't turn down £42m for McGInn. McGinn is the better player, I bet most managers would take him over Ward-Prowse, even if you disagree with that Ward-Prowse certainly isn't twenty million pounds better than McGinn. The fact that Liverpool want McGinn in the first place, if it is indeed a fact, should tell you how good he is, and that we shouldn't be in a rush to sell him.

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Leicester are nothing like us under MON. They’re a well run successful club. You seem to have forgotten that they won the league. OK they don’t have the resources of Man City etc who have very high quality squads in depth, but they’re doing it well and playing the system to the maximum effect.

Under MON Lerner left everything to him, we had no structure behind the scenes and we ran out of steam in March every year, largely down to MON throwing money away on players and never picking them. By March the squad was knackered. I don’t think we won a match in March under him. MON was a wannabe Clough, a charlatan, and a complete and utter fraud. The way he left us was a disgrace. 

I don't think it's fair to call him a charlatan or a fraud. The club was just run in what was then becoming an out dated way. Lerner gave O'Neill money, and complete control over transfers and player contracts and (regardless of the march stuff) he delivered sixth place - which was about right for the money spent. I don't see how that was being a charlatan or a fraud. He ran the club the way Ferguson was running United and the way Wenger was running Arsenal. If Lerner had given him more money to compete with the biggest teams O'Neill would likely have done that.

Sure he didn't care about future sustainability or succession to a new manager but why would he? He wanted success there and then - under his management. Protecting the long term future of the club was Lerner's job not O'Neill's.

Are we still calling out 'hypocrisy' when people have differing, conflicting opinions? It doesn't really make sense. 

I'd be amazed if any one person has said they'd be happy with JWP for £60m but would sell McGinn for £40m.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I didn’t mean in terms of the way the club is run though . I’ve previously said in multiple threads that I would prefer us to follow the Leicester transfer model rather than the Everton one, what I was referring to was in terms of achievement and being a nearly club like us in the European spots.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I don't think it's fair to call him a charlatan or a fraud. The club was just run in what was then becoming an out dated way. Lerner gave O'Neill money, and complete control over transfers and player contracts and (regardless of the march stuff) he delivered sixth place - which was about right for the money spent. I don't see how that was being a charlatan or a fraud. He ran the club the way Ferguson was running United and the way Wenger was running Arsenal. If Lerner had given him more money to compete with the biggest teams O'Neill would likely have done that.

Sure he didn't care about future sustainability or succession to a new manager but why would he? He wanted success there and then - under his management. Protecting the long term future of the club was Lerner's job not O'Neill's.

I’m happy to agree to disagree but in my opinion he cared about himself and not about the club. We finished 6th three years on the bounce and showed no sign of progress could you imagine if we do that under Dean for the next three years? VT would be an hysterical screaming match but more relevantly Dean would probably lose his job. 

The fact he left us a few days before the season started was in my opinion calculated to do the maximum damage. Lerner was spent by then and as a club we’re a different beast now but MON has to carry a fair share of the blame. He hasn’t exactly set the world on fire since then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure we'd sell him £40m.

Obviously it's great money, if we couldn't replace him with a better player for £40m I'd be asking questions of whoever is looking.

What on earth it would do to the dressing room is anyone's guess. I think it would have a monstrous negative effect.

I'd say the bigger effect would be losing Jack if we don't reach Europe this year, because it's very obvious from recent interviews that that's what he wants to do.

We have to get better players into the club if we want Jack to stay.

It's absolutely nothing personal against John, I love the guy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I didn’t mean in terms of the way the club is run though . I’ve previously said in multiple threads that I would prefer us to follow the Leicester transfer model rather than the Everton one, what I was referring to was in terms of achievement and being a nearly club like us in the European spots.

Yes I agree that’s how we’ve been in the past and that has effected us as a fan base in terms of our hopes and aspirations. However the hope is that we’re not that club anymore.

Under NSWE I believe the sky is the limit. We may be hampered to some extent by FFP and there will always be some bumps in the road but I don’t think our current owner will settle for anything short of getting to the top and staying there. 

Â