John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I have loved watching SJM in the Premiership and I‘m convinced he sees his future as part of a successful Villa side: first promotion, then survival, consolidation, and soon challenging for a top 6 finish.  I love the way Villans embraced him, and adopted the SJM anthem.  He has had his struggles in the last season and a half: serious injury, being asked to return from injury sooner than was good for him, being played out of position, opponents working out some of his tricks, being too reliant on his left peg, being surrounded by midfielders who don’t share his enthusiasm for hard work and a high press. But having also been an avid follower of the comments on this forum,  it’s pretty clear that a sizeable number of those commenting (about 50%?) like McGinn well enough, yet have serious reservations about his future in the side, valuing him more as a squad player at best.  I would love to see Villa competing again at the very top, but wonder if both club and player would now benefit from parting company.  

You're not having him back. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You're not having him back. 

Ha ha! Don’t worry, he’s outgrown us by some considerable distance!   ... actually, watching Billy Gilmour, I wondered if he, or a player like him, would solve Villa’s positional conundrums: he could bring the best out of SJM, and others...even Jack (should he stay)!

2 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

Ha ha! Don’t worry, he’s outgrown us by some considerable distance!   ... actually, watching Billy Gilmour, I wondered if he, or a player like him, would solve Villa’s positional conundrums: he could bring the best out of SJM, and others...even Jack (should he stay)!

For what it's worth I think he will be much better next season and we've still not seen his ceiling yet. I also think Smith thinks this and he'll not be gone just yet. 

25 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I have loved watching SJM in the Premiership and I‘m convinced he sees his future as part of a successful Villa side: first promotion, then survival, consolidation, and soon challenging for a top 6 finish.  I love the way Villans embraced him, and adopted the SJM anthem.  He has had his struggles in the last season and a half: serious injury, being asked to return from injury sooner than was good for him, being played out of position, opponents working out some of his tricks, being too reliant on his left peg, being surrounded by midfielders who don’t share his enthusiasm for hard work and a high press. But having also been an avid follower of the comments on this forum,  it’s pretty clear that a sizeable number of those commenting (about 50%?) like McGinn well enough, yet have serious reservations about his future in the side, valuing him more as a squad player at best.  I would love to see Villa competing again at the very top, but wonder if both club and player would now benefit from parting company.  

Genuine question…do you know him or those close to him? I ask only because the struggles you cite particularly in relation to being asked to return too early suggest an insight beyond the average fan. 

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Genuine question…do you know him or those close to him? I ask only because the struggles you cite particularly in relation to being asked to return too early suggest an insight beyond the average fan. 

Surely this is common knowledge? Or do you mean because they’re a Hibs fan?

Yes, I believe Dean Smith was interviewed at the start of last season, where he said that SJM was brought back the season before last, while still only part fit, in order to save Villa from relegation.  By the time of Villa’s status-saving run in the last few games, he had recovered some of his form.  Apologies to WallisFrizz if I gave the impression of being ITK, as I have no more insight than any other fan, but with all due respect to the likes of Traore and Barclay, while they have many other qualities, pressing the game appears not to be one of them.  It’s obvious that pressing can only be done by players hunting in packs, and watching Villa this season, it’s easy to see why they got overrun in midfield, with SJM a sorry figure trudging about the park often chasing only shadows.  Villa have been my English team since Des Bremner, and I hope both player and club will flourish. UTV

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

Yes, I believe Dean Smith was interviewed at the start of last season, where he said that SJM was brought back the season before last, while still only part fit, in order to save Villa from relegation.  By the time of Villa’s status-saving run in the last few games, he had recovered some of his form.  Apologies to WallisFrizz if I gave the impression of being ITK, as I have no more insight than any other fan, but with all due respect to the likes of Traore and Barclay, while they have many other qualities, pressing the game appears not to be one of them.  It’s obvious that pressing can only be done by players hunting in packs, and watching Villa this season, it’s easy to see why they got overrun in midfield, with SJM a sorry figure trudging about the park often chasing only shadows.  Villa have been my English team since Des Bremner, and I hope both player and club will flourish. UTV

Agreed Stockbridge, SJM has embraced the Villa phenomena and as he always has done, whether playing for St Mirren, Hibs and now Villa , gives 100%.

As you say the injury and then covid held him back but hope he now kicks on and when playing in a position that shows his strengths should remain at Villa.

Was a little concerned at times last season when he seemed to play all the time , not subbed etc even when he was playing out of position and was struggling in particular games, but that is down to Smith and the management team.

Good luck to SJM and Villa for the new season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Agreed Stockbridge, SJM has embraced the Villa phenomena and as he always has done, whether playing for St Mirren, Hibs and now Villa , gives 100%.

As you say the injury and then covid held him back but hope he now kicks on and when playing in a position that shows his strengths should remain at Villa.

Was a little concerned at times last season when he seemed to play all the time , not subbed etc even when he was playing out of position and was struggling in particular games, but that is down to Smith and the management team.

Good luck to SJM and Villa for the new season.

The injury and then covid just sounds like convenient excuses tbh. He was deteriorating even before the injury, I distinctly remember people talking about it even then.

And the covid stuff I swear has been used to excuse the poor performances of literally everyone in our squad at one point or another.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I’m not advocating he be sold but he is the most likely candidate if a suitable offer is tabled. We will need to move to a more self sustainable financial model soon and selling players at maximum value is part of that - buying players cheap to flip at huge profit and then reinvest has been the mantra from NSWE & co from the start. McGinn being bought in for £2.7million was a Bruce masterclass. 

• Like 2

Aye agreed regarding covid, ..............I really meant it came at a time when he was getting back from the injury and needed a run of continual games to attain full fitness and not disruption at Bodymoor Heath etc.

With regard to his form. that is why I said I was concerned regarding all the 90 minute games he was playing without a sign of a rest when at times it was obvious the game was passing him by and he was struggling. 

Edited by newhavenhibby

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 11:28, Laughable Chimp said:

The injury and then covid just sounds like convenient excuses tbh. He was deteriorating even before the injury, I distinctly remember people talking about it even then.

And the covid stuff I swear has been used to excuse the poor performances of literally everyone in our squad at one point or another.

This. People conveniently forget this, McGinn started our first season back in the PL well enough but after a few games he struggled and then got injured against Southampton. Before that injury he was struggling.

His dodgy form isn't a new phenomena.

Perhaps with better players around him or a tweak to his position he will improve. 

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This. People conveniently forget this, McGinn started our first season back in the PL well enough but after a few games he struggled and then got injured against Southampton. Before that injury he was struggling.

His dodgy form isn't a new phenomena.

Perhaps with better players around him or a tweak to his position he will improve. 

McGinn has to be in almost peak physical condition to perform at his best and make a major contribution for us. He’s a major asset then.

His game and style totally depends on energy and stamina, he is careless and loose once that drops off and he tires. His concentration levels drop too.

Got to work on his conditioning during preseason.

A settled an in form Sanson will help us and allow us to rest and rotate McGinn, the two of them will be vying for that CM, box to box role.

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

McGinn has to be in almost peak physical condition to perform at his best and make a major contribution for us. He’s a major asset then.

His game and style totally depends on energy and stamina, he is careless and loose once that drops off and he tires. His concentration levels drop too.

Got to work on his conditioning during preseason.

A settled an in form Sanson will help us and allow us to rest and rotate McGinn, the two of them will be vying for that CM, box to box role.

I think you’re probably right. McGinn is our best ‘8’ at the moment but will be interesting to see how Sanson does. 

A new no.10 and no.6 and we’ll fly this season. 

On 26/06/2021 at 21:36, Stockbridgehibby said:

A good capture by Norwich for this season.

Â