John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, TRO said:

so the £50 mill John McGinn speculation has raised its head again?

The media keep half valuing our players. Surely £100m only gets you half of Jack and £50m for SJM must surely be his price without his a$$?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

so the £50 mill John McGinn speculation has raised its head again?

John McGinn isn't a £50 mil player. I'd snap there hand off if someone offered it.

Rather he didn't leave though probably just speculation off the back of one good game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

John McGinn isn't a £50 mil player. I'd snap there hand off if someone offered it.

Rather he didn't leave though probably just speculation off the back of one good game.

If it was any fee over 35 mil I'd send mcginn straight over. 30 mil I would be conflicted but probably accept. 

• Like 1

Before we sell anyone we need to assess whether or not the amount offered can buy us a better player who fits our needs and team well. To buy an in form central midfielder with the skills and energy of an in form John McGinn would cost at least £40 million, probably more. Then consider his age (26 I think) and to find someone available becomes even harder. Finally think about their standing and relationship to the rest of the squad. McGinn is an established first team player, who is immensely popular within the squad, who knows how everyone plays and they know how he plays. At his best he is worth much more than £50 million (in today's ridiculous prices for footballers) and although he has not played as well as he can do this season, you must remember that he has played in a deeper holding role for much of the season to accommodate Ross Barkley. When allowed to play further forward, either for us or for Scotland, he has looked much better. Last season it took him a while to recover from his injury too. When Douglas Luiz and Nakamba were with him in a midfield three towards the end of the season he was tearing it up, hustling opposition players, making them panic and generally looking back to his best. This was well demonstrated against Tottenham, Champion's League finalists last year, and he was immense in that more attacking, box to box role.

IF, and it's a big if, we sold him then the odds of getting an equally good player, who offers the same qualities, is a similar or younger age, is in good form AND is available for the same money or less are very, VERY small. Then you have to hope he settles quickly, gets on well with the squad and continues his good form for us. There is virtually no chance of that all happening when you are talking about a quality international player like John McGinn.

Of course every other club is interested in him. They'd be fools not to be, but top clubs don't sell top players unless that player wants to go, and I am pretty certain that he has no desire to go anywhere. Big players who don't ask to go usually only change clubs at the end of their contracts (Aguero for example) as their value to their club is simply more than anyone can afford. We do not NEED to sell, do not WANT to sell and other clubs are not going to offer the sort of money that would be needed to persuade us. Not bad for a player we got from a club that did NEED the what, £2.5 million we paid for him?

By the way, I think all of the above could equally be true of Grealish, Watkins, Konsa or any of our other top players that others seem to think we will lose this Summer. We need to buy players that can fit into the squad and allow our best players to play in their best positions. That is why I am so keen for us to buy a top defensive midfielder, to allow McGinn to play further forward, ideally in a 4-3-3 formation as a box to box midfielder or in a 4-2-3-1 formation, in front of the holding players and between Grealish and Buendia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SJM is a 40m with or without the ability to pass. No chance he moves unless someone offers stupid money, if he tidies up that passing he will be a major part of our league winning side next year.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 4

He’s not going anywhere nor should he, but if anybody comes in for any of our players we should be asking a inflated price because we are a rich club, we lost players for peanuts in the past because we buckled to the big boys , selling Gareth Barry for £12m was a crime you don’t see teams like Chelsea and Liverpool doing that, Chelsea sold Lukaku for £25m and he never played and don’t get me started on the well documented reserve dross that Liverpool sold for £20m+ And when teams come asking for a first team player Hazard , Sterling , Coutinho , Torres and Suarez it’s instantly big money. Heck according to reports Chelsea wanted £35m for Ross Barkley 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He’s not going anywhere nor should he, but if anybody comes in for any of our players we should be asking a inflated price because we are a rich club, we lost players for peanuts in the past because we buckled to the big boys , selling Gareth Barry for £12m was a crime you don’t see teams like Chelsea and Liverpool doing that, Chelsea sold Lukaku for £25m and he never played and don’t get me started on the well documented reserve dross that Liverpool sold for £20m+ And when teams come asking for a first team player Hazard , Sterling , Coutinho , Torres and Suarez it’s instantly big money. Heck according to reports Chelsea wanted £35m for Ross Barkley 

Bang on pal, no one is going anywhere unless it's what Dean Smith wants.

• Like 2

I agree that if you don't need to sell him then he should stay at Villa ( seems very happy at Villa Park)...............................even though we would get 15% of the fee paid for him.😀

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

And my team, St.Mirren, get a percentage of your profit, if Villa do sell him as we were club that developed him. When he first went to Villa, that was my hope. That he performed well and someone else bought him giving Saints a nice little earner. Over last 2 years though, Villa have seeped under my skin and I desperately want him to stay now for the next 5 -10 years. 

Aye Stoobs, you get 30% of the 15% we would get from Villa. If it did come off it would be a good earner for both clubs.

However I don't think he will move and will be very much in Smiths plans.

On 19/06/2021 at 03:39, Stoobs said:

SJM was superb tonight. Skill, aggression, intelligence. Had everything. Billy Gilmour is such a class act. Kieran Tierney is going to be legend down here too. Feels like a victory this. Many parties still going on. Saints, Villa and Scotland. What great teams to support. 

Fair play mate, enjoy. Must say I was pretty worried he’d fade away after his early booking but didn’t at all.

On 19/06/2021 at 10:03, Monkeypuzzle said:

Looked really good I thought, playing at CAM last night. I'd really like to see Grealish, McGinn and Buendia behind Watkins next season with Douglas Luiz and either Nakamba or a new DM/CM behind them. That is a seriously good team for closing down the opposition all over the pitch, especially with our normal back five.

Watkins

Grealish         McGinn          Buendia

Douglas Luiz     Ward-Prowse

Targett      Mings       Konsa      Cash

Martinez

Subs: Steer, Young, Hause, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, Wesley

This is a team that I think other Premier League teams would be terrified of facing! Remember that McGinn was also one of the most fouled players last season too!

He isn’t the most creative type but would really help with our high press and opposition teams would hate us.

56 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

And my team, St.Mirren, get a percentage of your profit, if Villa do sell him as we were club that developed him. When he first went to Villa, that was my hope. That he performed well and someone else bought him giving Saints a nice little earner. Over last 2 years though, Villa have seeped under my skin and I desperately want him to stay now for the next 5 -10 years. 

Yeah, Villa really has that effect on people.

10 minutes ago, stegzy said:

He isn’t the most creative type but would really help with our high press and opposition teams would hate us.

But with Grealish and Buendia either side of him, we don't need another creative player there, we need someone to make the runs for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

But with Grealish and Buendia either side of him, we don't need another creative player there, we need someone to make the runs for them.

Exactly, definitely worth a go now with the added creativity of Buendia. Can see it now, Mcginn intercepting and passing it to either side, who’ll make things happen.

• Like 1

Good squad player: great engine and energy, can score goals, his passing can be decent, a bit agricultural at times but he is precisely the kind of player we need to keep. You can bring him on and he can play defensively or offensively, can break up play, create and score goals. He is a senior player at the club and part of its soul.

We don’t need the money at the moment.

• Like 1

Â