John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I honestly think that his real value, when you add the non-playing part of it, is around 25m, certainly not more. 50m is an absolutely ridiculous sum of money for a player of his ability. He hasn't been consistently good for two seasons now. 

• Haha 1

Don't want to sell him. Don't think we need to.

But.....

That CM is looking packed with players right now, who all seem to want to play the same sort of role. And that's without adding (checks note) *the greatest collection of U23 talent ever assembled in one place*, who need to be allowed to come into the first team.

So, as much as I think he's batshit crazy, and a very good player, I could understand us letting him go for something in the region of £50m if the club think the impact on that position will be minimal, and the freedom with FFP will allow us to get the players for the positions we actually need (DCM and CB are the first in line for me, currently).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Smith loves McGinn. Really don't see us selling him. 

From what I see on the pitch, I think McGinn is very replaceable and I'd have used him in rotation a lot more last season. But Smith obviously sees it differently given how much he played last season when he was seemingly out of form. And it's good that Smith sees it differently cos he's the professional and I'm not. 

This is the key bit for me. Plus having competition for McGinn will only help his performances - similarly, bringing someone else in knowing they're competing with SJM for a spot will also bring the best out of them too.

No way McGinn leaves IMO.

I want to see this squad develop together, so many are still to hit their peak and we know that Smith improves players. There’s still more to come from McGinn, I’m sure of it. The competition will mean he doesn’t have to play every minute, but he’ll want to and that will drive his performances up. 

I doubt that Liverpool would want to spend £50m on him anyway, and for anything less then there’s no chance. He’s our big bummed meatball!

WTF is going on? There was one ridiculous article about him going to Liverpool for 20mil that was BS in the first place and posts on here are coming up with 42m and 50m and he's definitely worth selling at that price, the price from posts on here. Madhouse.

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

WTF is going on? There was one ridiculous article about him going to Liverpool for 20mil that was BS in the first place and posts on here are coming up with 42m and 50m and he's definitely worth selling at that price, the price from posts on here. Madhouse.

I think the article that said he could possibly leave for £20m also said that Villa wouldn’t sell for that and would want £45 to £50m which Liverpool wouldn’t be happy to pay. BS on top of BS but basically a none starter. Where the “journalist” got these ridiculous figures from only they know. 

48 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

20mil is about his value - but we're obviously going to ask for significantly more. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Indeed we can buy Jack a new best friend for that price and someone who deserves to be playing every minute for us. 

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the article that said he could possibly leave for £20m also said that Villa wouldn’t sell for that and would want £45 to £50m which Liverpool wouldn’t be happy to pay. BS on top of BS but basically a none starter. Where the “journalist” got these ridiculous figures from only they know. 

I think he got if from a word that rhymes with bass. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Liverpool are supposedly interested yet some of you would happily sell him because he's not very good?

Doesn't really add up that.

Key word being supposedly... 

He's not good enough for Liverpool, the £50m link is madness and bullshit 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Key word being supposedly... 

He's not good enough for Liverpool, the £50m link is madness and bullshit 

I'd suspect the link is bullshit but comments on his ability are being given based on it.

Â