Jump to content

Recommended Posts


31 minutes ago, blandy said:

One thing that's noticeable (or at least I think I noticed) is also clearly visible with Matt Targett. It's this - a while ago some posters and fans were slating John McGinn a bit and saying he was fat and so on.

To me it looks like the whole team has improved in terms of strength and conditioning - looking at Ginny and Targett they've definitely bulked up physique-wise. Jack too, obviously. Targett and McGinn have a kind of Ben Stokes look about them and they've got the stamina and strength which is really helping them play well, to be better than their opponent, which in turn gives them confidence...

So I think what I'm saying is that whoever is responsible for the strength and conditioning, plus obviously the players themselves deserves a real pat on the back. These players are a different version of themselves to that of last season and the promotion season. They're basically fitter, more confident and used to the pace of the league. So not just the football coaching, but the other coaching has really helped.

A few days ago @TRO mentioned some similarity to mid-late 70s Villa, and I see it too and the fitness and strength factor is a part of that, along with the ability to wallop out some big wins. It's glorious. 

Speaking from experience, I have a natural bulky build to me, people think I’m fat - I’m not, although it can look like I am. I think SJM is the same as me. Even the slightest change in build shows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Speaking from experience, I have a natural bulky build to me, people think I’m fat - I’m not, although it can look like I am. I think SJM is the same as me. Even the slightest change in build shows.

Big Head GIF by memecandy

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, blandy said:

One thing that's noticeable (or at least I think I noticed) is also clearly visible with Matt Targett. It's this - a while ago some posters and fans were slating John McGinn a bit and saying he was fat and so on.

To me it looks like the whole team has improved in terms of strength and conditioning - looking at Ginny and Targett they've definitely bulked up physique-wise. Jack too, obviously. Targett and McGinn have a kind of Ben Stokes look about them and they've got the stamina and strength which is really helping them play well, to be better than their opponent, which in turn gives them confidence...

So I think what I'm saying is that whoever is responsible for the strength and conditioning, plus obviously the players themselves deserves a real pat on the back. These players are a different version of themselves to that of last season and the promotion season. They're basically fitter, more confident and used to the pace of the league. So not just the football coaching, but the other coaching has really helped.

A few days ago @TRO mentioned some similarity to mid-late 70s Villa, and I see it too and the fitness and strength factor is a part of that, along with the ability to wallop out some big wins. It's glorious. 

Indeed I thought people were being harsh on McGinn when he came back, he had obviously had a broken ankle and when he was near the end of his recuperation the lockdown happened and I don't think the players were allowed to Bodymoor Heath to train there.  I suspect he has that kind of body that means within a few months of retiring from the game he will put about 5 stone on.  Targett and Trez have both got a lot fitter and Jack's physical improvement over the past couple of years has been incredible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, blandy said:

One thing that's noticeable (or at least I think I noticed) is also clearly visible with Matt Targett. It's this - a while ago some posters and fans were slating John McGinn a bit and saying he was fat and so on.

To me it looks like the whole team has improved in terms of strength and conditioning - looking at Ginny and Targett they've definitely bulked up physique-wise. Jack too, obviously. Targett and McGinn have a kind of Ben Stokes look about them and they've got the stamina and strength which is really helping them play well, to be better than their opponent, which in turn gives them confidence...

So I think what I'm saying is that whoever is responsible for the strength and conditioning, plus obviously the players themselves deserves a real pat on the back. These players are a different version of themselves to that of last season and the promotion season. They're basically fitter, more confident and used to the pace of the league. So not just the football coaching, but the other coaching has really helped.

A few days ago @TRO mentioned some similarity to mid-late 70s Villa, and I see it too and the fitness and strength factor is a part of that, along with the ability to wallop out some big wins. It's glorious. 

I have noticed exactly that Pete.....I made a point of highlighting  it some time ago, but of course, I didn't know they was actually working on it.

Its plain to see, that they have and its so encouraging to witness.

They have developed this durability, that is crucial in this league, a massive difference to last season....long may it continue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Brilliant interview. Makes a terrible joke about El Ghazi and pokes fun at himself for it, then goes on to say how much he hates other teams and managers complaining about fatigue. He understands how privileged they are and he doesn't take it for granted.

 

 

 

Tell you what, and this might sound daft, but I love having a Scottish player. Not only because of what you're getting, but their persona and way of speaking is just a total a total trip to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

John McGinn has always been good. Very rarely had a bad game. He gets criticism when he doesn’t have a great game  because he has set his own standard that high. Even when he came back from injury he was playing well but getting pelters because he could be so much better. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tell you what, and this might sound daft, but I love having a Scottish player. Not only because of what you're getting, but their persona and way of speaking is just a total a total trip to me. 

Ochh, calm down wee man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Visiting Supporter
4 hours ago, useless said:

I think McGinn might be better now than he's ever been, his passing seems to have improved a lot.

A side of his game that is improving.

It was one side of his game that was never the strongest, at times, when he was with us and could be frustrating. 

His stamina also, seems to be getting back up since his injury.

Great news for the Villa 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â