John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

John McGinn has always been good. Very rarely had a bad game. He gets criticism when he doesn’t have a great game  because he has set his own standard that high. Even when he came back from injury he was playing well but getting pelters because he could be so much better. 

Not long ago people were happily suggesting Hourihane was of more use than Grealish and McGinn because he was getting goals and assists.

When McGinn isn't a fixture in our first XI we'll be a hell of a side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not long ago people were happily suggesting Hourihane was of more use than Grealish and McGinn because he was getting goals and assists.

Feel like we don't deserve him at his best due to the amount of negative comments he was getting when he was at his worst (coming back from injury, in a low morale side,  with no professional training facilities avaliable to him during his recovery). Particularly given his worst wasn't even that bad.

Great to have him back at his best,  and the day he's ejected from the first team is almost certainly the day we're competing in the champions league. 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I do not remember that on this forum at all. I remember people saying Conor should play because he was playing very well after lockdown.

• Like 1

I love that. 

To paraphrase:

'There are people going through really tough times at the moment so I'm sick and tired of hearing players and coaches talk about being tired. We are very lucky to be able to do what we love doing. We've got another tough run of games so we could push on or it could go the other way...but that's not going to happen'

They sound like they are brimming with confidence atm. 

On 29/12/2020 at 12:54, blandy said:

One thing that's noticeable (or at least I think I noticed) is also clearly visible with Matt Targett. It's this - a while ago some posters and fans were slating John McGinn a bit and saying he was fat and so on.

To me it looks like the whole team has improved in terms of strength and conditioning - looking at Ginny and Targett they've definitely bulked up physique-wise. Jack too, obviously. Targett and McGinn have a kind of Ben Stokes look about them and they've got the stamina and strength which is really helping them play well, to be better than their opponent, which in turn gives them confidence...

So I think what I'm saying is that whoever is responsible for the strength and conditioning, plus obviously the players themselves deserves a real pat on the back. These players are a different version of themselves to that of last season and the promotion season. They're basically fitter, more confident and used to the pace of the league. So not just the football coaching, but the other coaching has really helped.

A few days ago @TRO mentioned some similarity to mid-late 70s Villa, and I see it too and the fitness and strength factor is a part of that, along with the ability to wallop out some big wins. It's glorious. 

How much is this down to Lange. I think he would of played a part behind all the strength conditioning. He isn't just looking at transfers he would be looking to find ways to improve the team with all the sports science etc. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 13:32, Sam-AVFC said:

Looks so much better now he's realised he isn't a striker, whatever Steve Clarke may tell him.

Well Steve Clarke told him he will never be a Tshibola in the midfield

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2020 at 13:25, av1 said:

I love that. 

To paraphrase:

'There are people going through really tough times at the moment so I'm sick and tired of hearing players and coaches talk about being tired. We are very lucky to be able to do what we love doing. We've got another tough run of games so we could push on or it could go the other way...but that's not going to happen'

Too right.

Get'em telt John!

Was watching Man U and Liverpool game the other day , everytime thiago touched a ball the commutators would lose their #£&@, found myself comparing him to Mcginn , Mcginn passes the ball aswel and overall is more effective in the game, drives me crazy listening to these players and in no way am I saying he is not a great player but they get way more respect than Mcginn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Was watching Man U and Liverpool game the other day , everytime thiago touched a ball the commutators would lose their #£&@, found myself comparing him to Mcginn , Mcginn passes the ball aswel and overall is more effective in the game, drives me crazy listening to these players and in no way am I saying he is not a great player but they get way more respect than Mcginn

Always remember we have got him and in addition I don't think they understand 

9 hours ago, pete101 said:

McGinn for Villa, is just about world class at times, he really can be. I have no idea how he fares for Scotland, maybe it's his role at Villa that he thrives in. Anyway, if he plays as well as he has for us at times, consistently each week for a season, he'll be one of the best assets we could've dreamed of. When people were saying we were a one man team with Grealish not long ago, I was saying McGinn was just about as important as Grealish, which I felt was true at the time, even though Jack has since gone on to come of age and fulfill the great potential some of us knew he had, for a time, McGinn's input was as influential in determining quality passages of play and results. I read that there was interest from Manchester United in McGinn at the start of last season, don't know if I believe that, but I honestly think if he can emulate his best on a more consistent basis, he's capable of holding his own against the best of them, for sure. Let them drool over Thiago. Commentators have their words on air for the world to hear, don't blame them for playing it safe, McGinn only cost a few million from the SPL. Be glad and grateful you appreciate McGinn for his worth, and that he's a Villa head!

One of the very best aspects of SJM, since the day he walked through the door until now is he understands exactly what it means to play for Aston Villa. He’s old school and knows how big we are & what our fans expect. That is priceless. The fact he delivers on top is a massive bonus. Pleased he’s finally getting back to the levels we know after some expected indifferent form after coming back from injury. I love the partnership he’s struck with Douglas too. 

• Like 1

Â