John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He must have been one of the players to get Covid. He looks totally off the pace. He was playing well before the outbreak too! In hindsight it looks like a mistake to have brought him back in but to be fair, I probably would have made the same decision.

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He must have been one of the players to get Covid. He looks totally off the pace. He was playing well before the outbreak too! In hindsight it looks like a mistake to have brought him back in but to be fair, I probably would have made the same decision.

He looks pretty much how he did before the Covid stuff happened. Has one very good performance in roughly every 5-8 games which is not good enough at this level.

we needed someone to patrol in front of defence and win balls vs Burnley, both Luiz and McGinn were absolutely useless.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He looks pretty much how he did before the Covid stuff happened. Has one very good performance in roughly every 5-8 games which is not good enough at this level.

we needed someone to patrol in front of defence and win balls vs Burnley, both Luiz and McGinn were absolutely useless.

This is why I am think Sanson is his replacement.

Sanson has CL experience and is a quicker upgrade on McGinn. Hopefully!

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was poor today and when that happens we seem to lose. Hopefully better on Saturday.

That's part of the problem with him, inconsistency.

One good game then three poor games, I'd take him out next time for Nakamba who must feel aggrieved for losing his place.

John is a lovely bloke and must be good fun and positive influence in the team, but if we're aiming higher than mid-table, he can't be a starter. Sanson will take his place, and I'm sure John will take it well. He'll still get his chances and will be very useful to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That's part of the problem with him, inconsistency.

One good game then three poor games, I'd take him out next time for Nakamba who must feel aggrieved for losing his place.

I doubt Nakamba will feel aggrieved! Came in for a regular who had a 1 game ban and did well against a poor Newcastle side. There is no way he would have been expecting to take John's place today. 

Edited by birdman

I think he must have had Covid. When I tried to play football straight after Covid I was gasping for air after about 10 mins, but worst thing was the mental side of things - felt really spaced out, not my normal self. All fine now, but unpleasant experience at the time. If that's what he's going through, I sympathise.

Anyway, in fairness to him, some of his passes tonight were absolutely brilliant. Don't really buy this idea he was shit - think a lot of people are reacting to the freak scoreline and not taking in the game as a whole. Annoys me how some of our fans turn on players so quickly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think he must have had Covid. When I tried to play football straight after Covid I was gasping for air after about 10 mins, but worst thing was the mental side of things - felt really spaced out, not my normal self. All fine now, but unpleasant experience at the time. If that's what he's going through, I sympathise.

Anyway, in fairness to him, some of his passes tonight were absolutely brilliant. Don't really buy this idea he was shit - think a lot of people are reacting to the freak scoreline and not taking in the game as a whole. Annoys me how some of our fans turn on players so quickly.

McGinn shouldn't be playing then if he isn't fit. All conjecture though.

McGinn isn't s*** it wasn't my intention, he's woefully inconsistent. A couple of good passes does not make a player, he's far too weak in the middle. Against Southampton (at home) similar points were made and he didn't make any decent passes that day 😉 

This will be one reason we will be midtable, he goes missing. The whole point about 'next-level' is improving those players who perform once every three matches, maybe (hoping) Sanson is that player.

I thought he played some good passes tonight so not a terrible performance.

Another who seems to come under the category of completely undroppable and no one in world football capable of replacing him. Sanson's been a regular for top team in France and playing in europe last few years so has pedigree to suggest he can be at least SJM's equal when he gets up to speed after a few weeks so will be interesting the midfield we end the season with.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Seriously though why does he always come back like a sack of shit. 

Miles off it today.

He seems to take longer to get up to speed in this league. Championship was fine

Why does he seem absolutely gassed after 55/60 mins? It's not just this season - he's always been that way.

I love him and he's a very good player, but he needs to able to effect games in the last 30 mins but he just seems to disappear.

Don't know if it's covid, if it is, then this obviously has caveats...but we have seen this before with him.

You can't be taking 4/5 games to get fit/play yourself into form, not at this level.

Well, you could before we start buying Champions League players willy nilly. Be interesting to see if it's Barkley or McGinn that gets dropped at Southampton because I'd definitely drop one of them.

Long term, if a fit John McGinn isn't starting for us we'll be an incredibly good side. No lower than 8th in the PL so that does bode well.

He had a chance tonight to rattle some cages and show that starting spot is his. He didn't.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 02:33, Tomaszk said:

Don't know if it's covid, if it is, then this obviously has caveats...but we have seen this before with him.

You can't be taking 4/5 games to get fit/play yourself into form, not at this level.

Well, you could before we start buying Champions League players willy nilly. Be interesting to see if it's Barkley or McGinn that gets dropped at Southampton because I'd definitely drop one of them.

Long term, if a fit John McGinn isn't starting for us we'll be an incredibly good side. No lower than 8th in the PL so that does bode well.

He had a chance tonight to rattle some cages and show that starting spot is his. He didn't.

Spot on.

Seems like McGinn is infallible to some and we aren't allowed to criticise lacklustre and inconsistency. Very odd, maybe he is Villa Talks God.

It's great we are improving but don't stand still. Sentiment will slow us down! 😉 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

Â