John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he was really really poor tonight, could pass for toffee.

I cant agree. If McGinn was poor then so was everyone else. It just so happens southampton were at us for most of the game and we gave them to much space without really closing them down fast enough.

McGinn was very unlucky to not be allowed to go on that run, he used his strength  and I have no doubt hed of scored which wod of been amazing..

One week he is rolling Chelsea players bursting past Kante, snapping into people in the 93 rd minute and rifling in shots from all angles. The next week he is getting left for dust by cart horses like Romeu and Westwood and is labouring around our third for the 90.

Bizarre. Bizarre player.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

He looked very fuzzy in terms of his decision making and positioning today - his passing was definitely a bit worse than usual. I did read somewhere that Covid has impacted sportspeople like that, though - the lack of clarity etc., so it makes sense.

McGinn, what a character.  I can only imagine the joy he brings to the changing room.

Still seems to be off the pace. Part of me hopes it isn't covid related as that could be a much longer term thing. The other part of me hopes it is and that he shales it off soon and is back to his usual self.

Was unlucky to be penalised when he would have been through on goal,  having overcome a foul on him. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Its now looking like its our boy Ginnie wo will make way for Sanson. ( Before tonight I was thinking Barkley )

Was VERY poor tonight and almost cost us a couple times honestly.

Is he carrying an injury or something?

The breaks do him no good. Whether it is injuries, COVID (not saying he had it) or starting a new season. He always takes a few games to get into his stride. He'll be back to himself soon.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 4

Anyone who knows anyone who’s suffered from coronavirus will know that if he is one of them who’s had it bad you all need to get off his back. I blame dean more than him if that’s the case. You don’t just go from the Chelsea performance to this without something serious underlying it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The breaks do him no good. Whether it is injuries, COVID (not saying he had it) or starting a new season. He always takes a few games to get into his stride. He'll be back to himself soon.

Also true, he does tend to take time to get up to speed, but once e gets up there is no stopping him.

• Like 1

That was a mess from John. Really really poor.

He's caught a nasty case of the Reo-Cokers where he is rooted to the spot any time he gets the ball. Nerves I think, not seen this before from him.

One of his main strengths is carrying it! Not over Jack distances, but just a quick arse roll and 15 yard truffle shuffle out of danger.

I expect improvement.

I thought each individual Villa player had to work incredibly hard last night in an intense and enthralling game.  As a team however they got overrun in midfield.  I think SJM is being asked to do too much and is also being played out of position: last season he was too far advanced, now he is being asked to play too deep, though admittedly, in that position, he still put in some important blocks: one in the first half outside the box, and another in added time in the 6 yard box.  Both he and Douglas were pinned back doing more defensive duties, and the ease with which Southampton carved a swathe through the midfield seemed to me more due to Traore and Barclay being fairly anonymous.  I really hope this guy Sanson solves the problem for Villa and dominates central midfield.  If so, Villa should end up having the great season they deserve.  If that means leaving SJM out, as many posters here seem to be arguing, then I really hope, for his sake, that SJM moves on to a club where he can finally return to the left-sided central midfield position he made his own at Easter Road.  

• Thanks 1

I think McGinn is possibly playing with some lingering Covid symptoms. I experienced this (at a much lower level) last year, and the problem is it comes on quite randomly.

So for example, it's possible he's fine in training, fine in warm up, and then at some point in a match he'll get dizzy or feel out of breath. Also just the general lack of conditioning during isolation hits some people harder than others.

That's why it might be hard for Smith to get the selection right. Also, the available replacement (until Sanson arrived) has been Marvelous Nakamba, who Smith may simply feel is not good enough, and he'd rather take the risk with McGinn.

Personally I think McGinn is suffering from a spell of VT Mingsitis, where one or two mistakes get blown up into OMG THIS PLAYER IS SHITE. He's been doing a lot of good stuff recently, just isn't on top form.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think McGinn is possibly playing with some lingering Covid symptoms. I experienced this (at a much lower level) last year, and the problem is it comes on quite randomly.

So for example, it's possible he's fine in training, fine in warm up, and then at some point in a match he'll get dizzy or feel out of breath. Also just the general lack of conditioning during isolation hits some people harder than others.

That's why it might be hard for Smith to get the selection right. Also, the available replacement is Marvelous Nakamba, who Smith may simply feel is not good enough, and he'd rather take the risk with McGinn.

Personally I think McGinn is suffering from a spell of VT Mingsitis, where one or two mistakes get blown up into OMG THIS PLAYER IS SHITE. He's been doing a lot of good stuff recently, just isn't on top form.

I’m paraphrasing but I’m sure Smith did say last season that a 70% McGinn was his best option within the squad at that time.

26 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I thought each individual Villa player had to work incredibly hard last night in an intense and enthralling game.  As a team however they got overrun in midfield.  I think SJM is being asked to do too much and is also being played out of position: last season he was too far advanced, now he is being asked to play too deep, though admittedly, in that position, he still put in some important blocks: one in the first half outside the box, and another in added time in the 6 yard box.  Both he and Douglas were pinned back doing more defensive duties, and the ease with which Southampton carved a swathe through the midfield seemed to me more due to Traore and Barclay being fairly anonymous.  I really hope this guy Sanson solves the problem for Villa and dominates central midfield.  If so, Villa should end up having the great season they deserve.  If that means leaving SJM out, as many posters here seem to be arguing, then I really hope, for his sake, that SJM moves on to a club where he can finally return to the left-sided central midfield position he made his own at Easter Road.  

dont read too much in to the debates, we all love SJG, its just he has been below par by his own standards the last few games (covid related?, who knows).

Â