John McGinn

PompeyVillan

And it must have been frustrating for McGinn that we didn't win any of the three league games this season in which he scored, especially as in each one his goal put us ahead. :s Hope he scores in a league win soon, fingers crossed, he has deserved that.

On 27/11/2019 at 10:52, Tomaszk said:

I agree. He started the season getting tired by 80 mins. I was sure this was down to him sprinting round on his own.

The time it takes for him to tire has become shorter and shorter which is a bit concerning. He was looking leggy at times in the first half on Monday.

Surely the coaches are aware and can look into this. It's safe to say his work rate in training is going to be on point, he doesn't know any other way on a football pitch.

Is it "too much" football? He's a 90 minuter for club an country so maybe he needs less hard training to stay fresh.

Could be away from the training ground, diet...booze...sleep? Could just not be in great form and nerves are making him look off. He's set such a silly high standard for himself we judge him harshly.

Your last sentence sums it up for me. He’s absolutely quality. That doesn’t mean he won’t have the odd quiet game or dip in form. Everyone does. And let’s not forget that like the rest of them he’s adapting to a higher level than he’s ever played at. He’s still ridiculously good.

2 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

I have the very same feeling.  Of course because of the speculation!

That’s all it is, speculation, he signed a new contract here not too long ago. I think he is in it for the long haul *goes to watch Sheffield Wednesday goal on YouTube*

He could use rest, but I think people would find out that the second you drop McGinn or Mings for that matter, for all the talk about them not performing, they do a lot of bloody stuff that you will notice when they are not there. 

Simply because they are not performing to top rating, does not mean the alternative is better. 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He could use rest, but I think people would find out that the second you drop McGinn or Mings for that matter, for all the talk about them not performing, they do a lot of bloody stuff that you will notice when they are not there. 

Simply because they are not performing to top rating, does not mean the alternative is better. 

I agree, but at the same time Smith should know that he can still sub them. McGinn today should have been brought off with 15 to go 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wonder whats going on with McGinn, do we reckon its just down to how Deano is asking him to play?, or is he actually just not performing at a level we are used to?

Think it is more of the later.  He is doing more of the dirty work now.  For example he was tied for #1 in tackles made and second in ground duels won against MANU.  Whereas John used to be the one hanging off of Wesley's shoulder he has dropped deeper now that Jack has taken on that more attacking role.  And when we play Hourihane and Jack that is exactly where we need him to be.  Our midfield looks so much more solid than it did at the beginning of the season.  I feel alot of that credit goes to the discipline John has developed in his deeper role.  

• Like 1

His output has dropped from early season. I think it coincides with Jack moving further up the pitch. 

If that's true then that's actually good news - he'll be back to early showings as his understanding of Luiz's game grows. 

Â