John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Plenty went wrong for him there.

Overhit passes, ropey touches, wrong options picked. Seemed tentative to shoot which I've never seen from him. Give it a thrash John.

As usual, he never hid. Certainly wasn't great though.

I didn't think it's rocket science - he's knackered. That was 180 mins of international football over the break - he'll still run himself into the ground for us, but he's only human. 

Tired legs leading to him either being indecisive or shooting because he's about to collapse. Either keep him as an impact sub for the next game, or be prepared to sub at 60 mins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think he was bad today but he needs to be less greedy. Seemed to only pass to Jack when 20 yards or so from goal

Yes I do see more of his greediness creeping in this season, wanting to score a worldly or hold on ball too long & lose, where he should have done one touch pass to teammates in better position.

3 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Yes I do see more of his greediness creeping in this season, wanting to score a worldly or hold on ball too long & lose, where he should have done one touch pass to teammates in better position.

Think he knows he's been playing poorly relative to his standards and as a result he's wanted to take more of the chances himself. That shot near the end of the match where he should've passed to me represented his frustration he's had with himself the game.

Feels like that should have come out three weeks ago.

He's struggled recently. Looking forward to him getting back on it.

I actually thought he tried to pass too much around their box. Couple of club footed passes when he should have given it a rip on goal.

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Feels like that should have come out three weeks ago.

Why? It's not meant as a pat on the back, more just an informative piece on how he plays.

It's not really meant for us as we already know what he does. It's still interesting all the same.

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Why? It's not meant as a pat on the back, more just an informative piece on how he plays.

It's not really meant for us as we already know what he does. It's still interesting all the same.

It's interesting yep. His role is unique, I wonder how much is him and how much is Smith to be honest. There was definitely a big change in his and Jack's starting central position when Smith first came in. They both went and stood 30 yards further forward when the CBs had the ball.

It mentioning him the key man a couple of times just feels like the chat of a month ago. Links away also being thrown in.

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It mentioning him the key man a couple of times just feels like the chat of a month ago. Links away also being thrown in.

I dont think anyone could say he is not key to the way we play, even if hes had a couple of quiet games. 

I think there are parts of his game are overlooked when hes not contributing going forward, but still remain vital.

As far as links go that peice actually made me a bit more confident we can keep him for a little while yet. Hes not a usual midfielder which could put a lot off, especially for the money we would want. A passing side especially may look elsewhere....I hope so at least!

Edited by Nigel

18 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Think he knows he's been playing poorly relative to his standards and as a result he's wanted to take more of the chances himself. That shot near the end of the match where he should've passed to me represented his frustration he's had with himself the game.

you'd have missed

On 21/10/2019 at 13:08, carewjust4u said:

Needs a rest...has played almost every minute. I remember last year around jan/feb we gave him a game or two off and he came back storming. Give the wee lad a chance to recover and play Luiz in his stead against City, will probably give us more balance aswell against vastly superior opposition.

Still needs a rest...

• Like 1

On 26/11/2019 at 01:25, rodders0223 said:

Decent game but Deano really is determined to run him into the ground ffs. Perfect game to take him off in.

Yep. Though to be fair if he'd taken him off and our midfield collapsed, and we threw away another lead... the drama. 

He wasn't at his best, but he was a lot better than people give him credit for. A lot of the ground covered and quick counters was all due to him. People should consider rewatching that match and just observing what he does. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's only November - he shouldn't be gassed at this point in the season. 

He doesn't pace himself and is exhausted by 65 minutes. And then continues for the next 30. Of course he is gasses. He has played every minute for us and has played most of Scotland minutes as well. If he doesn't get injured (likely) he will start picking up more and more bookings like he did at this point last year. If that happens he could very easily end up suspended for key games against Watford, Newcastle and southhampton at the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's only November - he shouldn't be gassed at this point in the season. 

I agree. He started the season getting tired by 80 mins. I was sure this was down to him sprinting round on his own.

The time it takes for him to tire has become shorter and shorter which is a bit concerning. He was looking leggy at times in the first half on Monday.

Surely the coaches are aware and can look into this. It's safe to say his work rate in training is going to be on point, he doesn't know any other way on a football pitch.

Is it "too much" football? He's a 90 minuter for club an country so maybe he needs less hard training to stay fresh.

Could be away from the training ground, diet...booze...sleep? Could just not be in great form and nerves are making him look off. He's set such a silly high standard for himself we judge him harshly.

Â