John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I think it’s a combination of jadedness and playing too far forward that has seen his form drop off. The reason he’s playing further forward is probably to offer more support for the struggling Wesley. 

Adding an effective and energetic striker in January is vital both for goals and the effect it could have on other players including John McGinn. 

Why does Dean drop other midfielders, mix and match them but John McGinn is in woeful form, has been for some time yet starts week in week out and stays on the pitch all game? He needs resting because he's a shadow of his former self. 

• Like 2

Rest him, dear god rest him 🙏

Poor everything at the moment, just not happening for him.

We are missing his normal hustle and bustle and moves are continually breaking down due to miss placed passing, holding ball too long, poor control and badly timed tackles.

He needs to give his Cape a wash to become super again.

Par for the course with him I am afraid ............one can never doubt his running and commitment but........

I was hoping some of his play would improve in the bigger leagues from when he was with us, but still suffers from judgement issues and especially weight of pass at times.

Some players seem to get their name on the teamsheet first irrespective of form etc and at present this seems to be happening with Smith.

After today and by the sound of it, the last few weeks, he needs a rest and to get some confidence back. Hopefully, the coaches will realise that playing him in a deeper role is better and pull him back to where he was when he first moved to you. He is now playing against some of the best defenders and midfielders in the World who are not only skillful but are as strong if not stronger than he is. The coaches and he have to develop his game to cope with this but asking to play attacking midfield just behind the strikers is not right for him.

He is a great lad and professional and I am sure if dropped he would fight hard to get back into the side and still give his all  for AVFC.

Edited by newhavenhibby

On 07/12/2019 at 18:19, TRO said:

I am just wondering, if being moved further forward, we have lost that bit of ball winning from him and arse roll, He used to win crucial duels and send us on our way, it seems to have disappeared.....it seems like he has been told he can score goals and he is waiting for the pass that he used to create, but no one is now doing it.

just a thought......but he has lost his effectiveness.

I don't think this is on John at all. He's being positioned way too high up the pitch. He's much better when he battles deeper and turns his engine on breaking forwards. We also look more balanced then. 

This is more on Deano than on McGinn or his current form. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He can be a brilliant impact player off the bench. Think this should be tried due to his recent form. Half hour with something to prove might get him through this dip in form/confidence.

Agreed - he doesn't really deserve to start at the moment IMO. 

Â