John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not really true this "us not pressing" story is it? We definately do it. It just seems you expect us to do it for 90 minutes against far superior opposition. 

We probably could do it better, but the notion we don't is a bit ott. 

People have specifically said we don't press as a unit though, not we don't press at all.

I understand we're probably not going to commit 3/4 men to press Many Citys CBs only to have them pass through and score an easy goal, but I've noticed myself that there is often a good opportunity to press and one goes for it while the others stand back. Just makes it a bit easy to travel through our midfield.

It all comes from practice though. There's no doubt in my mind they will be working extensively on pressing in training, it's just likely to take a bit of time for them to understand each other's games for it to be more effective.

I also agree that there is a notable drop off towards the end of games so tiredness is clearly an issue. If we were smarter with it, I like to think they wouldn't tire as much. Wishful thinking possibly.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

People have specifically said we don't press as a unit though, not we don't press at all.

That's fair enough, but what I am saying is that we do, we just don't do it to the degree people want. It's hard to keep up collective pressure for 90 minutes when you meet better opponents and are stuck with one immobile striker who can't hold a ball up to save his life. Nor do we have the pace upfront or wide to have relieve pressure when we're under siege. People are at this point in our progression expecting too much. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough, but what I am saying is that we do, we just don't do it to the degree people want. It's hard to keep up collective pressure for 90 minutes when you meet better opponents and are stuck with one immobile striker who can't hold a ball up to save his life. Nor do we have the pace upfront or wide to have relieve pressure when we're under siege. People are at this point in our progression expecting too much. 

Agreed.

I imagine it takes just as long for them to work together as a unit off the ball as on it - I'll only be concerned if we haven't improved pressing by the end of this season/start of next.

17 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Spot on. I would love to see more of an active press that teams like Liverpool do so well. Force errors from the opposition and punish.

Its something I feel passionate about.

This is basic stuff and hasn't been with us for years......

Its one of the reasons, every player Ron Saunders brought to the club improved themselves and improved us......They joined a club where everyone grafted and put a shift in, wasn't afraid of the physical challenge and snugly fitted in to the 110% work rate Mantra.

In my humble opinion.....We are simply too benevolent to the opposition.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not really true this "us not pressing" story is it? We definately do it. It just seems you expect us to do it for 90 minutes against far superior opposition. 

We probably could do it better, but the notion we don't is a bit ott. 

I think we press too much at times. Especially Mcginn. He needs to be a lot smarter with his forward pressing. We love his effort but it’s pointless trying to charge at a keeper who will boot it up field and then be totally out the game.

Well done John boy.

Can't hurt to keep his confidence up.

He probably hasn't had a trickier time as a villa player than the last month or so. We had the smelly run when Jack was out, but he was our best player every game even though the results weren't coming.

He looked absolutely shattered when they finally hauled him off after his second goal. It was interesting to see how attacking his position was-  he was almost a second striker.

Hopefully he will get a couple of days rest before returning to training. At least we are the Monday game, so more recovery time.

I actually enjoyed watching Scotland and wanted them to win for once :)

Â