John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Tbh I'm glad hes dropped from those early season heights, if he kept that up we would be losing him in the summer. 

We would not be loosing him, didn't you hear our big boys in charge on Villa, our club is by no means in any hurry to sell. To me that means unless you going to pay our asking price hands off.

John will find himself again, with Jack having so much of the ball and making things  happen it's not hard to understand why John is having a less fortunate time. He was abit quiet yesterday but he will soon catch up and may e when other players are having a quiet time that's when John will pull through for us, I'd still say he was affective.

35 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We would not be loosing him, didn't you hear our big boys in charge on Villa, our club is by no means in any hurry to sell. To me that means unless you going to pay our asking price hands off.

If he keeps playing well the asking price will be met!

I'd prefer it if we kept him for a season or 2 longer before that happens.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he was over achieving at the start and now is actually playing at his standard. He’s a good player and is doing a decent job. I just think we expected too much of him after his great start. 

I disagree.  I think he needs a rest, the work he goes through for Villa and Scotland is immense.  Nobody can keep that pace up every few days.  

I saw him become jaded this last year and he got suspended i think.  Came back like the old Mcginn after 3 game rest. 

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I disagree.  I think he needs a rest, the work he goes through for Villa and Scotland is immense.  Nobody can keep that pace up every few days.  

I saw him become jaded this last year and he got suspended i think.  Came back like the old Mcginn after 3 game rest. 

It's certainly something we should consider this week. We have two difficult games in a short space of time, and it would actually be more valuable to have him fit and hungry for the easier games following. 

Smith could at least take him off at some point. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

THIS. He simply cannot be dropped, cus the alternatives are way worse. He should be hauled off when he starts to fade though, e.g. around the hour mark. Smith needs to realize this, and not run him to the ground every game.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's certainly something we should consider this week. We have two difficult games in a short space of time, and it would actually be more valuable to have him fit and hungry for the easier games following. 

Exactly.  Come the 14th Dec, we have Sheff Utd, Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnely all in a row.  It will determine our Season and we will need to pick up at least 10pts imo. 

Id rest McGinn for Chelsea and Leicester and have him ready for games starting the 14th.  Would also play subs against Liverpool on 17th.

Edited by HeyAnty

He does look like he needs freshening up......Jack has had his break, forced on him through injury....but its a break.

I still think we need another midfielder, as well as a striker.

I think he's dropped deeper from our early season games, which is what I wanted him to do, but I don't think he's dropped deep enough, he's kinda in the ether, games seem to be passing him by, which is a common complaint of Hourihane. 

We're a team which try and do things in 3 passes, rather than 30 - but a few times yesterday he got the ball and was aimlessly driving forwards or misplacing passes into Wesley.  Not every pass has to be decisive or forwards.  Retaining possession with a simple 5 yard pass sideways can help us too.  It also gives our wingers more rest time when we're not looking to get into the opponents final 3rd every 5 passes.  

I think the whole team (bar Jack..) has a problem with just slowing the tempo down a little.  We can become a bit "hot potato" which is why so many of our moves break down in the middle of the pitch.  Our players are good enough to receive the ball and pass it, or turn and look up, but sometimes they don't give themselves the opportunity to do it.  I like players who come deeper and collect the ball from defenders.  Think of Mings yesterday when we conceded.  Had he had a simple pass into feet 10 yards away infield, would he have needed to try and go long down the line, leading to the corner?  I'm not sure.  John is a good carrier of the ball, I think he should collected it deeper and get the ball into their half, lay it off and continue his run into the box if the opportunity arises, because we all know how dangerous he is at arriving late into the box.  We go wide to full backs or wingers far too readily I think, which is good when you're trying to stretch the pitch, but it can be a bit obvious once opponents know what we're trying to do. 

Collect the ball and buy a foul, or shield the ball, try to turn and if you can't, pass it.  

John is more than good enough to do this. 

The last few games he may or may not be tired, but we know he's not fully delivering what we know he's capable of.  He'll learn though, I'm sure. 

John is so frantic sometimes I wish he would just think about where hes going to go with the ball. I feel that hes knackered and starting to make bad decisions...kind of over playing a bit. Hes great, just needs a break!

6 hours ago, Nigel said:

If he keeps playing well the asking price will be met!

I'd prefer it if we kept him for a season or 2 longer before that happens.

No it won't we'd ask way more than what they'd be wiilling to pay for a start.

Jack is worth to much to us as well.

Forgot who it was but pep or poc admitted and said even they couldn't afford to pay the asking price because the Owners would just want to much for him, more than what any club are also prepared to pay.

John though is alot more affordable for clubs but we won't sell him either

Also asking price won't be met if they keep playing well, just for the fact we arnt a selling club at the moment, the chiefs want silver not money.

We also wouldnt sell because we would never find another Jack Grealish or John Mcginn who does what they do, they are to valuable to sell to the point if they goes it could seal our fate.

To many reasons not to sell and to many to keep him and other players, we are building for the future you can't do that if you sell your best and sniffing clubs have to be pushed away.

Edited by Dave-R

44 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

No it won't we'd ask way more than what they'd be wiilling to pay for a start.

Jack is worth to much to us as well.

Forgot who it was but pep or poc admitted and said even they couldn't afford to pay the asking price because the Owners would just want to much for him, more than what any club are also prepared to pay.

John though is alot more affordable for clubs but we won't sell him either

Also asking price won't be met if they keep playing well, just for the fact we arnt a selling club at the moment, the chiefs want silver not money.

We also wouldnt sell because we would never find another Jack Grealish or John Mcginn who does what they do, they are to valuable to sell to the point if they goes it could seal our fate.

To many reasons not to sell and to many to keep him and other players, we are building for the future you can't do that if you sell your best and sniffing clubs have to be pushed away.

Id love to believe this is true, I really would, but unfortunately this is only half the story. 

He's definitely sitting back a bit more since grealish moved positions. Start of the season they were both just hurtling up and down the pitch constantly which more often than not resulted in him/both being knackered after an hour. Since grealish is staying further forwards/wider it seems that McGinn has maybe been told to stay a bit deeper but it doesn't look he is sure of where he is supposed to be sometimes. He plays like that for Scotland a lot too and never really shines when he is playing a bit further back

14 hours ago, vreitti said:

THIS. He simply cannot be dropped, cus the alternatives are way worse. He should be hauled off when he starts to fade though, e.g. around the hour mark. Smith needs to realize this, and not run him to the ground every game.

Of course he can be dropped if needed, if it is the case he needs a rest now is the time to do it with a busy December ahead. 

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll miss his forward press if he does drop out. Even when he's struggling to make an impact, like he is right now he chugs around the whole match getting shit done.

image.png.cf7940358639ee079b8cb1f52b11cfcc.png

Lansbo and Ghazi can't run for $*** 😂

Â