Jed Steer

samjp26

On 01/06/2019 at 10:47, sidcow said:

Thing is, I just haven't seen any evidence of this.  In his time with us he hasn't shown me anything to suggest he's better than Steer.  For his size he didn't really dominate the box any more (which is what I was fully expecting) 

I had heard he let's in a few goals because he's so big he struggles to get down quickly, which did indeed come to pass a couple of times. 

I thought Brentford was Kalinic's best game but he then got injured in the next one I believe.  To be fair Steer has looked decent all round to me, good enough shot stopper, didn't struggle from crosses much, can obviously save a penalty and his distribution was a very important cog in the team.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

4 year deal. Wasn't expecting that.

Me neither. I suppose it is a combination of faith in his abilities and coachability for improvement and maximising any return we get for him.

34 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Richly deserved. A brilliant number 2 to have.

I think he starts as no 1. We went for etheridge as kalinic replacement. Didnt get him and then got linked with another keeper on the move Butland. But I think we arent spending £20m on a keeper this summer.....and Steer knows that.

A new 4 year deal, congrats Steer. To think some Villa fans were saying we should get rid for a paltry £1m

This guy just keeps proving people wrong.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2019 at 00:57, DJ_Villain said:

Would love to see Jed be playing in the first team for the start of the new season and show what he is made of!

He has earned his chance

Just like last season v Hull, kept a clean sheet made a few good saves and then got shipped off on loan

6 months ago he was facing life as a potential injury prone journeyman league 1 goalkeeper and once you drop to those levels and clubs with those standards, facilities and coaching it can be a slippery slope out the league. Now he has a 4 year deal, a good contract and the platform to really go on and improve himself at a top club

Life is good. Well done Jed.

**** you Bruce!

• Haha 1

Â