Jed Steer

samjp26

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You base that on what? You've seen him play many games to make that assumption?

I agree with Stevo985, I think Kalinic will start the season as number 1, I expect him to have a very good season. The fact we have Steer who has shown in the play offs how well he can fill in but we also have Sarkic who is also excellent. We paid £7m for Croatia’s number one, he won’t sit on our bench

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree with Stevo985, I think Kalinic will start the season as number 1, I expect him to have a very good season. The fact we have Steer who has shown in the play offs how well he can fill in but we also have Sarkic who is also excellent. We paid £7m for Croatia’s number one, he won’t sit on our bench

Just because he is Croatias number one doesn't automatically make him a better keeper, Croatia may have a very poor generation of keepers for all we know. Would like some Croatian Villa fans input here :)

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You base that on what? You've seen him play many games to make that assumption?

Based on his goalkeeping ability he is better than Steer and I rate Jed.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Just because he is Croatias number one doesn't automatically make him a better keeper, Croatia may have a very poor generation of keepers for all we know. Would like some Croatian Villa fans input here :)

His ability makes him the better keeper.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't look too good the games he played, Steer has played better than him, that's why he is playing ahead of him.

Nah . I've seen Kalinic make saves Steer could only dream of . Just on talent Kalinic is better regardless of any perceived shaky start. I'd be very surprised if Steer starts next season

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Done wrong? Not much. He's had his shakey moments but generally he's done fine.

But he's not that good. There's a reason he's been overlooked for so many years. Credit it to him he's taken his chance this season and he's done well for us.

I just don't think he's good enough for the Premier League.

Goalkeepers are so hard to judge.  On what basis is he "not that good"?  We've only seen him play a handful of games for us and he's basically been covered by a very strong back line.

I'd love to know what people look for.

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Nah . I've seen Kalinic make saves Steer could only dream of . Just on talent Kalinic is better regardless of any perceived shaky start. I'd be very surprised if Steer starts next season

Goalkeeping isn't only about shot stopping. It's about positioning, commanding in your own box, reaction times, communication and much more.

Players mature at different times, just because Steer has been a number two doesn't mean he can't be a number one.

Maybe he's just come of age in the past 6-12 months?

His distribution is probably the best we've had for a long time, he's pretty safe under a high ball, his shot-stopping is fine, he comes off his line well enough (not that he's had to much).......what specific failings do people think he has?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Goalkeepers are so hard to judge.  On what basis is he "not that good"?  We've only seen him play a handful of games for us and he's basically been covered by a very strong back line.

I'd love to know what people look for.

I'm not saying he is poor, all i am saying is Steer have looked more impressive than both Nyland and Kalinic

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not saying he is poor, all i am saying is Steer have looked more impressive than both Nyland and Kalinic

In the last few weeks maybe but in their careers ?

No chance 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Goalkeeping isn't only about shot stopping. It's about positioning, commanding in your own box, reaction times, communication and much more.

Yeah I know. 

I was a pretty good one myself.

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

In the last few weeks maybe but in their careers ?

No chance 

You can't pick your team based on what people have done previously in their careers, it has to be based on recent form.

Steer has shown the better form and deserves to play, he has the trust of his Manager and Defence. Kalanic needs to earn that trust when his opportunity comes along and I hope he will, but for now the shirt is Steers to lose and Kalanic's to gain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I love him. He played a major part in us going up. Aswell as his role in making the Back 5 a cohesive, communicating, unit he made at least one crucial save every game.

On the other hand.....part of why he did so well was we suddenly had a terrific pair of Centre Backs, and the whole team learnt how to defend with their lives.

Im with those who say a very good keeper is essential for success. And I’m not sure he’s in the ‘ very good’ category.

Equally though there is more to it than ability. He’s formed a good partnership with the defenders, a new Keeper means gambling on and with that.

It’s one where I’d be more than happy to trust the Managers judgment. If it’s Steer he won’t let us down. 

I agree with all of that. Jed has done absolutely nothing wrong since coming into the team so I'm certainly not desperate to see him replaced, but i can't shake the feeling of unease. Maybe its because successive managers have saw him as a number 3, maybe its the feeling that unlike Nyland and Kalinic he came in when the defence wasn't a joke?

I don't know, but like yourself I'm happy to trust the managers judgement. 

Ultimately I can see Kalinic being our first choice keeper next season , I feel he has more of a presence than Jed and is more capable overall.

That said, Steer has had a really good run, produced a wonderful save in the semi final 1st leg from Rodriguez and topped it all off with the penalty heroics, he also made everything look pretty comfortable in the closing minutes at Wembley.

Both keepers will feel that they can be no 1 which can only be a good thing and under the coaching of Neil Cutler I actually think we are fine going into the new season, albeit in the Premier League.

Bunn nowhere to be seen to which can only be a good thing!

20 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

You can't pick your team based on what people have done previously in their careers, it has to be based on recent form.

Steer has shown the better form and deserves to play, he has the trust of his Manager and Defence. Kalanic needs to earn that trust when his opportunity comes along and I hope he will, but for now the shirt is Steers to lose and Kalanic's to gain.

And gain it Kalinic will.

Easily.

Just now, Brumerican said:

And gain it Kalinic will.

Easily.

I like your confidence, and I hope you are right and our investment in him works out. He hasn't got the shirt yet though so it can't be that easy!

I think it's great we have competition for this position, Steer knows he can't make any errors or Kalanic will be in, it keeps the standards up and you must give credit to Steer for upping his game since he's been in the team, and not making any serious errors as of yet.

• Like 1

I guess the friendlies will give us more of an idea of their abilities within the squad to be the first choice.

It may be Steer's place to lose after his recent for,m but ultimately it's a good thing to have such competition for a place between our goalkeepers. 

To me Steer is like Nigel Spink.  Good Solid all round Keeper.  Will do Ok for you overall.

What we need is a Bozzie type.  Yes has a clanger in him and perhaps lower attributes in certain areas when compared to steer/spink (Thinking Distribution Here) but when really needed can pull out the execeptional, amazing and put on a one man show.  The Game that I think back to is against Sunderland in the League Cup the season we won under Big Ron.  They hammered us and Bozzie in one of his first starts was a one man army against them pulling amazing save after amazing save.  He broke the Sunderland players himself and we won 4-1.

Not sure what Klanic is like yet but our signings in Jan have so far been good so I cant see us wasting 7 million on a sub par goalie.

Thinking about it though Steer might just develop into that sort of Goalie when considering the Save he made first leg against West Brom.

The main difference in Steer to me is that he was sent out to play under Smith without having to worry about making a mistake.  Under Bruce he was never given any encouragement that he would be given a long term chance and was not as confident in his play.  Smith must have given him that for one to bring him back off his loan spell where he was doing well and then this time when Steer did make mistakes (again thinking against West Brom) he didnt crumble.

It will be interesting battle.

• Like 1

Â