Jed Steer

samjp26

27 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I like your confidence, and I hope you are right and our investment in him works out. He hasn't got the shirt yet though so it can't be that easy!

I think it's great we have competition for this position, Steer knows he can't make any errors or Kalanic will be in, it keeps the standards up and you must give credit to Steer for upping his game since he's been in the team, and not making any serious errors as of yet.

Absolutely, he has done a great job and surprised a lot of people (especially me). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Goalkeepers are so hard to judge.  On what basis is he "not that good"?  We've only seen him play a handful of games for us and he's basically been covered by a very strong back line.

I'd love to know what people look for.

On the basis that I’ve seen most of his games for us and despite doing a good job for us this season he’s not done anything amazing. 

Plus he’s been here for 8 seasons and not a single manager has fancied him. Even Smith spent 7 million quid on a keeper who wasn’t him. 

Fair play for taking his chance. But whilst performing well I don’t think he’s been so impressive that he could cut it in the prem. 

he he hasn’t been as good as Johnstone was for us, for example, and I have doubts about Johnstone’s ability to cut it in the prem too. 

Also ive played in goal for 30 odd years. Which doesn’t make my opinion better or worse than anyone else’s, I can of course be wrong and might be in this case, but I do think it means I look for more than the basics

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

On the basis that I’ve seen most of his games for us and despite doing a good job for us this season he’s not done anything amazing. 

Plus he’s been here for 8 seasons and not a single manager has fancied him. Even Smith spent 7 million quid on a keeper who wasn’t him. 

Fair play for taking his chance. But whilst performing well I don’t think he’s been so impressive that he could cut it in the prem. 

he he hasn’t been as good as Johnstone was for us, for example, and I have doubts about Johnstone’s ability to cut it in the prem too. 

Someone spent that on the keeper, I’m not so sure it was Smith. I suspect we were already committed to that deal. Anyway, I’m not entirely convinced on Steer in the PL.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Someone spent that on the keeper, I’m not so sure it was Smith. I suspect we were already committed to that deal. Anyway, I’m not entirely convinced on Steer in the PL.

Yeah fair. But it was still the club overlooking him. There was no coach saying he was the one and he’s actually really good despite every manager he’s had loaning him out or choosing other keepers in front of him. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also ive played in goal for 30 odd years. Which doesn’t make my opinion better or worse than anyone else’s, I can of course be wrong and might be in this case, but I do think it means I look for more than the basics

The thing is we’ve been so good defensively he hasn’t had to do anything out the ordinary. A lot of his saves have been straight at him. Sign of good position for me. 

When he has been called up on to make a class safe against Albion he stepped up. When he was called upon to keep his head and claim the ball agaisnt Derby he stepped up. 

As others have mentioned had we signed him in Jan rather than recalling him fans would think he’s a very good keeper.

As you’re a keeper yourself mate I’m really suprised you can’t see how much potential this lad has.   

I’m not for one second saying the guy is shit. I’m just saying I don’t think he’s good enough for the Prem. 

if he is us then I’ll be as happy as anyone. 

• Like 1

Jed was a great success. Nyland looks an amateur compared to him and Kalinic based on his reputation has been a big disappointment so far. I could be wrong but I get the feeling DS wasn't impressed by him coming off at half time v WBA so not really sure what his future is here.

I wouldn't be against Steer starting the season as number one but can also see the argument for getting in an experience number one just in case he makes a few errors and we don't have decent back up.

Wouldn't shock me if Neil Etheridge comes onto our radar at some stage this summer. Was great under Smith and Cutler at Walsall and showed he could step up to premier league with Cardiff no problem, he kept 11 clean sheets for them and also saved 3-4 penalties during the season. Would imagine he'd be available for 6-7m so that would be a smart signing. Nyland gone full time and maybe Kalinic loaned out.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You base that on what? You've seen him play many games to make that assumption?

Steer is easily the best keeper at the club for claiming crosses. Those two he took in injury time on Monday is what you want from your keeper at a crucial time in the match. Have to say considering he is 6ft 7 in I've been disappointed in Kalinic's lack of command of his area. All started with that soft corner he let in v Swansea on his debut and we had issues in other games aswell.

10 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

It's the 'if' that is really the debate here, we don't know that he is good enough at this level, but then we don't know that he isn't, I feel he's earned the chance to show us if he can step up. At Cardiff they didn't know if Ethridge would be able to step up last season, he was arguably their best player.

I think the fact we spent 7m on a keeper in January will likely put us off buying another keeper, we have so much business to do I feel a position where we already have two good players will not be high on the list.

I take your point on an experienced spine, I think it can certainly help, but Bournemouth didn't have one when they came up, nor Huddersfield or Brighton, none of the Wolves spine had Premier League experience last season, though they had plenty of quality. I remember the last QPR team that went down had plenty of experience but failed miserably. In an ideal world we'd have a spine of quality experienced Premier League players, but I think that's a big ask to complete in this transfer window.

Etheridge will be on our radar I'm fairly sure as Cutler pretty much got him to sign for Walsall 4 years ago. He was an unknown when he turned up there.

It's a good point, Wolves could've just stuck with John Ruddy who had a good season in championship but Rui Patricio is Portugal number one so you ain't turning him down.

Whereas Fulham signed two Spanish keeper when Marcus Bettenelli was probably worth a shot. The first one Fabri played first 3 games and was then dropped as he couldn't understand his reputation and then Sergio Rico came in. Had a good reputation from Sevilla but he was a real weak link for Fulham.

I think we'll sign a more established keeper at some point this summer. Harsh on Jed but he's been treated much worse in his Villa career.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah fair. But it was still the club overlooking him. There was no coach saying he was the one and he’s actually really good despite every manager he’s had loaning him out or choosing other keepers in front of him. 

I see him as a bit like Guzan tbh. Someone who was in reserves for years and we could only judge from the odd prem or cup appearence which isn't a lot. Forgotten now but Guzan in his first two years finally making number one was terrific and Jed taking his chance reminds me of that.

Really considering Jed Steer played at Hull in the first game it was then very poor management to sign Nyland and the Portugal keeper and effectively demote him to number 3 before sending him off to Charlton.

19 hours ago, Brumerican said:

His ability makes him the better keeper.

I would say how you perform when wearing the shirt makes you the better player and based on what they've both shown for Villa so far I would say Steer has been the better 'keeper. I reckon that Steer might start the season between the posts too. 

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I would say how you perform when wearing the shirt makes you the better player and based on what they've both shown for Villa so far I would say Steer has been the better 'keeper. I reckon that Steer might start the season between the posts too. 

Steer has been around a while and I'll always allow a settling in period for foreign players. Based upon ability and what they've shown over their careers I'd say Kalinic has shown a lot more.

He's simply the better keeper.

His biggest plus is that we've had such poor keepers for a long time now. All he's done is be solid and not make any huge errors - which admittedly based on some of what we've had in goal is an achievement.

Guzan was poor in the last 12-18 months, Gollini struggled to adapt and made errors, Johnstone was decent but if it wasnt straight at him then he wasnt getting there. Nyland looked like he'd had his hands sewn on the wrong way around and then put on adult sized gloves, and Kalinic struggled to adapt in his couple of games - I think the PL may suit him better as it's less physical than the championship.

Steer has been reliable. He's no better than that. Fair play to him for taking the chance he got, and he's a good number 2 for a PL side, but I dont think he's good enough for the big league.

Edited by StewieGriffin

16 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Steer has been around a while and I'll always allow a settling in period for foreign players. Based upon ability and what they've shown over their careers I'd say Kalinic has shown a lot more.

Not that I doubt it but did you watch him much at Gent? Or for Croatia? Although he only has 16 Croatia caps as he was behind Subasic. I have only really seen him at Villa. On this judgement I cannot see how its not Steer's shirt to lose. 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

But, you are talking about over their careers, and there I would agree with you. But, whilst playing for Villa, so far, Steer has looked the better goalkeeper. 

Just now, villarocker said:

But, you are talking about over their careers, and there I would agree with you. But, whilst playing for Villa, so far, Steer has looked the better goalkeeper. 

It's a new season and league so the end of season results won't have any bearing come August.

I like Steer, I really do but Kalinic has more talent IMO. 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

I like Steer, I really do but Kalinic has more talent IMO. 

Thing is, I just haven't seen any evidence of this.  In his time with us he hasn't shown me anything to suggest he's better than Steer.  For his size he didn't really dominate the box any more (which is what I was fully expecting) 

I had heard he let's in a few goals because he's so big he struggles to get down quickly, which did indeed come to pass a couple of times. 

Edited by sidcow

I think a lot of people are probably overrating him because of our recent promotion. He also had one of the best back line's in front of him for a majority of his games. Right now, I'd say he's a better than a mid-table championship goalie. Obviously I hope he translates well to the premier league but he is rather untested at the highest level. 

Â