Jed Steer

samjp26

The shirt should be his to lose. He's done more than not let us down when he finally got his chance. And if he hits a bad run of form we've got the Croatian keeper kicking around. Good position to be in. He deserves everything coming his way. His penalty saves and that worldy against the Baggies will live long in my memory.

• Like 1

Another one to get him tied down on a long term deal to secure his value. His value will have risen  significantly now, proved himself at Championship level (again) and more than capable of playing in big games.

Let him fight it out for the No.1 spot up here and at the very least he has proven himself at Championship level should the worst happen.

To go from being farmed out to Charlton in August to being promoted to the PL with Aston Villa 9 months later.

What a story.

Totally earned it too, I don't remember him making many mistakes at all during over the past few months, he was steady without having a lot to do again on Monday, awesome job Jed and I think he's earned the right to be here next season, and probably to start the season as #1 too.

On 28/05/2019 at 14:05, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I still expect Kalinic to be number one.

He played what, 3 - 5 games in a new country and League, yet some people have written him off, makes ZERO sense.

He has the physical attributes and a great coach in Cutler to do it as number one.

Kalanic will get his chance I've no doubt but he may have to be patient, Steer has the shirt for me, it's down to him how long he keeps it.

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Kalanic will get his chance I've no doubt but he may have to be patient, Steer has the shirt for me, it's down to him how long he keeps it.

Everybody gets a clean slate in preseason, sentiment and performance last/this season, bar the likes of Jack, McGinn and Mings (If we get him) goes out the window IMO. The players best suited for the new challenge will be picked.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Everybody gets a clean slate in preseason, sentiment, bar the likes of Jack, McGinn and Mings (If we get him) goes out the window IMO.

It's not sentiment, it's just logical, up until this point he's proven himself to be the more reliable keeper for us which is why he's been playing.

If there's a glaring turnaround in both players form in pre-season then fair enough, but Steer deserves to start next season as number 1 because he's handled the pressure and performed better up to this point, so unless/until Kalanic can prove he deserves to play ahead of him, Steer has the shirt.

I like Kalanic and I think he will come good, his time will come.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be very happy for him, but also very very surprised if he's our starting goalkeeper next season.

Why? What has Steer done wrong this season to make you say that?

Nyland is terrible.

Kalinic looked well below average to put it nicely. And looking at highlights from Croatias last few games haven't filled me with confidence on him.

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Why? What has Steer done wrong this season to make you say that?

Nyland is terrible.

Kalinic looked well below average to put it nicely. And looking at highlights from Croatias last few games haven't filled me with confidence on him.

Done wrong? Not much. He's had his shakey moments but generally he's done fine.

But he's not that good. There's a reason he's been overlooked for so many years. Credit it to him he's taken his chance this season and he's done well for us.

I just don't think he's good enough for the Premier League.

Kalinic is a better keeper than Steer. And If either of them are going to be our number 1 next season I think it'll be Kalinic.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we dip into the market yet again for a keeper, depending on who is available.

• Like 3

I have to say  steers kicking is horrendous that's probably his weakest part. He also does seem to pick up a lot of injuries. 

I think kalinic didn't get a long enough run so I can't comment how good he is but from what I saw he. Looked a lot better than nyland. 

Nyland is proper shite. I'd get rid of him that's for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Done wrong? Not much. He's had his shakey moments but generally he's done fine.

But he's not that good. There's a reason he's been overlooked for so many years. Credit it to him he's taken his chance this season and he's done well for us.

I just don't think he's good enough for the Premier League.

Kalinic is a better keeper than Steer. And If either of them are going to be our number 1 next season I think it'll be Kalinic.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we dip into the market yet again for a keeper, depending on who is available.

I see where you are coming from but he really does have a massive amount of self belief and confidence. Kalinic and Nyland may have looked better in training but it means nothing if fall apart on match day. 

I think Steer will keep learning and improving. He can step up. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to say  steers kicking is horrendous that's probably his weakest part. He also does seem to pick up a lot of injuries. 

I think kalinic didn't get a long enough run so I can't comment how good he is but from what I saw he. Looked a lot better than nyland. 

Nyland is proper shite. I'd get rid of him that's for sure. 

I always thought he looked quite confident with both feet.  Only time I remember him giving it away was against Albion when trying to be to clever. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Steer will keep learning and improving. He can step up. 

I'd be chuffed for him if he can, but I honestly don't think he will.

We need better if we're going to do anything in the Premier League.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I always thought he looked quite confident with both feet.  Only time I remember him giving it away was against Albion when trying to be to clever. 

Watch how many balls he kicks to the opposition player or goes out for a throw. Certainly needs work in that area I feel

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree his distribution has been fine, he's decent with the ball at his feet, he's no Ederson but he's certainly no Cech, he's not really made any howlers up to this point and any mistake he has made have not been punished, lucky he may be but that's an attribute I like in my Goalkeeper!

I think the most important thing that people are glossing over here is trust. He has won the trust of the manager and the trust of the defenders in front of him, yet not the trust of some of the fans for some reason.

Kalanic does not have that trust yet, and any incoming keeper wouldn't have it either. Steer has earned the opportunity to prove he can step up at this level, and I don't see any reason why he can't. I'm not sure what people expect of a Premier League keeper, he's decent on the ball, a good communicator, great shot stopper, my only criticism is he could command his area a bit more, but that can be worked on and I feel a little less of an issue in the Premier League as it was in the Championship.

I think it's all because of his history. I think if somebody we had signed had performed exactly the same as he has then we'd all be saying that's a good keeper, no need to make any changes there, but because he's been out on loan multiple times and made his way from third choice, people assume he's not good enough. Football is full of stories of players kicking around who suddenly get a chance to prove themselves and never look back.

Could we improve on him, sure. Is it a priority, hell no.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Is it a priority, hell no.

Good post. But I don't agree with this bit.

I think there's a lot to be said for a promoted team getting 4 key players right in order to stay up. And that's the spine.

If you have a good (preferably experienced) goalkeeper, centreback, central midfielder and centre forward, then you give yourself a very good chance of staying up (obviously dependant on the supporting cast)

A good goalkeeper is essential. And if we need to improve on Steer, it is a priority imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A good goalkeeper is essential. And if we need to improve on Steer, it is a priority imo.

It's the 'if' that is really the debate here, we don't know that he is good enough at this level, but then we don't know that he isn't, I feel he's earned the chance to show us if he can step up. At Cardiff they didn't know if Ethridge would be able to step up last season, he was arguably their best player.

I think the fact we spent 7m on a keeper in January will likely put us off buying another keeper, we have so much business to do I feel a position where we already have two good players will not be high on the list.

I take your point on an experienced spine, I think it can certainly help, but Bournemouth didn't have one when they came up, nor Huddersfield or Brighton, none of the Wolves spine had Premier League experience last season, though they had plenty of quality. I remember the last QPR team that went down had plenty of experience but failed miserably. In an ideal world we'd have a spine of quality experienced Premier League players, but I think that's a big ask to complete in this transfer window.

• Like 1

I love him. He played a major part in us going up. Aswell as his role in making the Back 5 a cohesive, communicating, unit he made at least one crucial save every game.

On the other hand.....part of why he did so well was we suddenly had a terrific pair of Centre Backs, and the whole team learnt how to defend with their lives.

Im with those who say a very good keeper is essential for success. And I’m not sure he’s in the ‘ very good’ category.

Equally though there is more to it than ability. He’s formed a good partnership with the defenders, a new Keeper means gambling on and with that.

It’s one where I’d be more than happy to trust the Managers judgment. If it’s Steer he won’t let us down. 

Â