Jed Steer

samjp26

On 20/06/2019 at 16:59, Junxs said:

Never occurred to me in the past 6 years but what is Jed short for? Jeddah? Jedimire? Jedrick? Jedothy? 

Jedward-A.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Desperate for a new keeper to replace Jed,he just simply isnt good enough for the Prem.Lucky he didnt get caught out today but his distribution is awful aswell you have the beast in Wesley and his kick ends up at smallest player on pitch

On 21/07/2019 at 19:33, midian said:

Desperate for a new keeper to replace Jed,he just simply isnt good enough for the Prem.Lucky he didnt get caught out today but his distribution is awful aswell you have the beast in Wesley and his kick ends up at smallest player on pitch

If we start the season with Steer as no1 then we are in serious trouble.  To be a premiership keeper, you have to be more than a great shot stopper.  Agree or not, this day and age distribution is just as important in the premership, something he totally lacks.  He is a good backup.

I feel bad for Steer.

Done nothing wrong really. Big factor in why we got promoted. That penalty shootout performance against baggies was just incredible and he isn't even getting a chance to prove himself in Premier League.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

Done nothing wrong really. Big factor in why we got promoted. That penalty shootout performance against baggies was just incredible and he isn't even getting a chance to prove himself in Premier League.

All true - but he must have know that was a possibility when he signed a new deal - presumably with a pay rise. If he is good enough his chance will come either here or elsewhere. Great squad option IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

It's ok, he will be back at then end of the season to save us from relegation.

Return of the Jed 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

Sentiment doesn’t come into it. He seems to be a good pro and will know the score. If he trains well he’ll get Cup games and if Heaton is injured or loses form he knows from recent history he can step in and get his chance to keep the position. 

I read a comment on Twitter the other day that said, “My heart goes out to his friends and family”. Unbelievable! Jed has been rewarded for his work after he came back from loan with a new 4 year contract. I doubt he needs anyone’s sympathy. 

Yep.

He needs to see this as an opportunity to learn from an experienced goalkeeper and to raise his game so that he can challenge for the shirt.

There's no room for sentiment. Plenty of other players won't get a chance to prove themselves in the Premier League because they aren't good enough.

IF Steer is good enough, then he'll win his place off Heaton. We can't just not sign another keeper because Steer deserves a chance.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Had it not been for the signing of Heaton i would probably have had Steer as back up to kalinic. 

So I'd probably now have him at number 3. That said, i find it incredibly unlikely that he would have been offered, and signed a new contract if that were the case, so I'd say it's highly likely that Kalinic will be leaving. 

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

I don't. It's not like he's being made redundant, or having to take a pay cut.
Football is a meritocracy - he can fight for the shirt, and if he's good enough, he'll play. 

He works in an industry where there is almost no loyalty, and his union (PFA) actively criticise clubs who don't allow players to move on.
If he played brilliantly and we got relegated, would he willingly stay at the club, even if a 'big' club came in for him and offered him a big pay rise? If someone knows the answer is 'yes', then fair play, but I suspect he'd want to move.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

Still only 26 so got a solid 10 years in front of him, Will only  learn and improve with Heaton.

29 minutes ago, av1 said:

Had it not been for the signing of Heaton i would probably have had Steer as back up to kalinic. 

So I'd probably now have him at number 3. That said, i find it incredibly unlikely that he would have been offered, and signed a new contract if that were the case, so I'd say it's highly likely that Kalinic will be leaving. 

I'd agree but I still have a feeling we'll see Kalinic leave before the end of the window. The signing of Heaton might trigger something (we might have been delaying it in case we didn't sign another keeper)

Not really sure there's anything concrete to point to, just have a feeling Kalinic isn't settle or isn't happy.

I think Steer being a solid sub keeper has been a much more likely outcome than Kalinic being our first choice keeper for a while now. I think there are similar question marks over Kalinic as first choice as there are on Steer.

Steer will probably be “happier” than Kalinic being on the bench so I expect the latter to be either sold or loaned out. Then we have Nyland as the break glass in case of emergency option.

I think Steer will appreciate the opportunity to learn off an experienced premier league keeper and still has a few years to develop.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Sentiment doesn’t come into it. He seems to be a good pro and will know the score. If he trains well he’ll get Cup games and if Heaton is injured or loses form he knows from recent history he can step in and get his chance to keep the position. 

I read a comment on Twitter the other day that said, “My heart goes out to his friends and family”. Unbelievable! Jed has been rewarded for his work after he came back from loan with a new 4 year contract. I doubt he needs anyone’s sympathy. 

I doub't he'll be losing too much sleep. On the back of playing half a season for us after being out on loan for years he is now a multi millionaire with his future income secured for at least the next four years regardless of if he even plays a game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

That's why we have a goalkeeping coach. To assess the strengths and weaknesses of our keepers, and the consensus is that Jed Steer is not inspiring confidence in the coaching team, hence Heaton as our no 1.

Dean Smith does not strike me as someone to let sentiment cloud his decisions and rightly so. 

• Like 1

Â