Christian Benteke

Kwan

We certainly would not have done any worse than having Benteke to throw on the last fifteen minutes against Leicester.

Again sentiment but I do think Benteke would have been quite useful to us this season or particularly a January signing.

It's never going to happen though, not now.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd have him over Watkins. Seeing Benteke score a goal again in a villa shirt would be like whenever Stone Cold returns to the WWE.

Don't be a jabroni! Finally, Christian has come...home!

Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

• Like 1

Oh god, Benteke gets another collectors item and the calls for a return appear again. 

I bet you could bring Robbie Keane out of retirement and he'd bag more. 

Edited by sidcow

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

I do not understand the love parade for this guy that many on here seem to hold for him.

Because we only really see him in a Villa shirt and when he was here he was different gravy.

Add that as an option off the bench he would offer more than Davis then it's not really that hard to understand?

Yeah he was the shining light in years of shit, pretty much every good thing about us let alone win for 3 years involved CB, he was one of the top strikers in the league at a time when other members of our team were contenders for worst player in their position so I fully understand why fans love what he was 

All that said I don't want him back, what he was is no longer what he is, he's not the player we all remember, he's back up striker for one of the worst attacking teams in the league, 10 goals in 4 years... You can point to his hold up play and ability in the air but that's not really how we play, his goal was his only touch of the ball in the box

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Because we only really see him in a Villa shirt and when he was here he was different gravy.

Add that as an option off the bench he would offer more than Davis then it's not really that hard to understand?

Not really that hard to understand,  Ha!

It is really though considering he's been shite for years - since he left us it could be said.

Besides, We were only a stepping stone in his career anyway.

As @villa4europe has rightly just stated 'What he was then isn't what he is now'.

Crystal Palace have to be one of the worst sides to play for as an attacker, you could put Watkins in their and he'd probably struggle to score, and I don't say that to be critical, they've got their way of doing things and it works for them, and personally I like different sides having different ways of playing, it would be boring if every team tried to play the same style, but I don't I take too much notice of Benteke's goal record whilst with them.

As it happens this season he's scored four and assisted one in 812 minutes of football which is ice cold🥶, he's still a very able performer at premier league level. I don't think it will happen, if it wasn't going to the time probably would have been this January just gone, whilst allowing Davis to go out on loan, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all with him as a squad option.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, useless said:

but I wouldn't be disappointed at all with him as a squad option.

i would because i dont see it as anything other than pure short termism and for me at the moment that would mean the difference between finishing 12th and 10th and then we would be stuck with his decline and unable to shift him when the likes of Barry are ready and he slides further down the pecking order

last jan with relegation looming and the fans being in the stadiums i could just about see it, the VP atmosphere with him being back generating a buzz that pushed us over the line but now i really dont see any need for him

£100k a week 3 year deal, we're getting the shitty end of that stick

Bringing him back would be a big step backwards, undermining where we are our now and the philosophy we have. It wouldn't make business sense either, with his ridiculous wages at Palace. Nostalgia cuts both ways, a few bad performances and the pressure gets even worse, some fans will turn on him. It would undermine the memories he built here. There's no good reason to do it.

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Bringing him back would be a big step backwards, undermining where we are our now and the philosophy we have. It wouldn't make business sense either, with his ridiculous wages at Palace. Nostalgia cuts both ways, a few bad performances and the pressure gets even worse, some fans will turn on him. It would undermine the memories he built here. There's no good reason to do it.

Closest comparison at moment would be Carroll at Newcastle, think he has 1 goal since returning and Benteke would be playing a similar role

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Closest comparison at moment would be Carroll at Newcastle, think he has 1 goal since returning and Benteke would be playing a similar role

Benteke has a lot more to offer than Carroll who was finished by injuries 8 years ago.

I think people really glaze over that our first option off the bench is Keinan Davis. The seemingly ice cold Benteke has scored more league goals this season than Davis has in his entire career.

• Like 2

I’m sure were  are Spurs fans on the Tottenham boards last night who were convinced Gareth Bale has still got it because he scored against a mid table Austrian side.  Benteke isn’t the player who was so good for us anymore. Be thankful for the memories and the huge profit and move on with your lives.  

• Like 1

At this point it'd probably be best that he protect his legacy here by not returning. For the most part fans have positive memories from him, and I'm sure looking back he realises his time here was the best in his career by a long way.

I used to be all for him returning purely for the nostalgia, but I doubt that'd be the right thing for either party.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Benteke has a lot more to offer than Carroll who was finished by injuries 8 years ago.

I think people really glaze over that our first option off the bench is Keinan Davis. The seemingly ice cold Benteke has scored more league goals this season than Davis has in his entire career.

How many minutes has Benteke played this season versus how many first team minutes has Davis played during his entire career?

Â