Christian Benteke

Kwan

20 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

How many minutes has Benteke played this season versus how many first team minutes has Davis played during his entire career?

Personally don’t think it matters how many minutes Davis plays he simply doesn’t score goals.

On 24/02/2021 at 21:22, Genie said:

The thing that Benteke brings to the table is winning headers and knock downs so I think he’d work alongside Ollie rather than in place of him.

Would we change our formation to incorporate him?

It would be nice to have the option.

On 25/02/2021 at 04:16, The_Rev said:

I’m sure were  are Spurs fans on the Tottenham boards last night who were convinced Gareth Bale has still got it because he scored against a mid table Austrian side.  Benteke isn’t the player who was so good for us anymore. Be thankful for the memories and the huge profit and move on with your lives.  

I don’t think anyone thinks he is that player any more that isn’t really the debate. The debate is would he as the player he is now improve us, I’s argue yes. There is then other considerations about if it would be a good move or not but its all speculation in any case.

I do though think given we always play one up top having a quality striker as a back up is going to be tricky for us.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he is that player any more that isn’t really the debate. The debate is would he as the player he is now improve us, I’s argue yes. There is then other considerations about if it would be a good move or not but its all speculation in any case.

I do though think given we always play one up top having a quality striker as a back up is going to be tricky for us.

Nope. With the wages he would want, contract length and sell-on value we should be able to do much better in the market. 

Aston Villa Benteke, yes, would have back - current Benteke. No, absolutely not. Misty-eyed nostalgia, nothing more than that. If he had never played for Villa, one look at his stats and wages and there is no way anyone would even consider signing him.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Nope. With the wages he would want, contract length and sell-on value we should be able to do much better in the market. 

Aston Villa Benteke, yes, would have back - current Benteke. No, absolutely not. Misty-eyed nostalgia, nothing more than that. If he had never played for Villa, one look at his stats and wages and there is no way anyone would even consider signing him.

No offence intended but tired of stating it isn’t misty eyed nostalgia.

I was all against it the past 2 years but he has has a mini (very mini) resurgence.

He would be on a free. He has earned his bank the past 4 years. If it could happen and Benteke would come back to be romantically nourished again and not for a payday I would be all for it.

Difference being he is on a free. We won't be picking his 100k salary and paying a fee to boot. Palace were never going to let him go to a rival for bobbins.

Make it happen. Get Davis some games.

He is better than Davis and this is one of his best seasons in a while, cynic in me is because his contract is running out ;)  

I think the cost for Benteke wages might be too much as a backup, unless he has absolutely no offers in the summer

Edited by Zatman

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I get that.  I also think that opportunity cost of signing Benteke just doesn't work. Take sentimentality out of the situation and just remember he's the wrong side of thirty, he's scored ten goals in four seasons and his wage demands are going to be high if he leaves Palace on a free.  We've still got Wesley on our books and if he's not going to recover from that injury and we do look at signing another striker, then somebody who is significantly younger and hungrier than Benteke would be a much smarter move.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I get that.  I also think that opportunity cost of signing Benteke just doesn't work. Take sentimentality out of the situation and just remember he's the wrong side of thirty, he's scored ten goals in four seasons and his wage demands are going to be high if he leaves Palace on a free.  We've still got Wesley on our books and if he's not going to recover from that injury and we do look at signing another striker, then somebody who is significantly younger and hungrier than Benteke would be a much smarter move.  

I refer to my previous point, someone younger and hungrier is unlikely to want to sit on the bench behind a young hungry Watkins given we only play one up front. They are also highly unlikely to be able to have an impact as a stand in or replacement in games, that takes a morr established player.

It’s like the girl you used to date in school, Young fit and nubile, maybe a couple of fingers tops even when Wham were on the pops.......

. Roll on a few years and she has been pricked poked and poded that many times you could get your fist in. Never go back it can never be as magic again 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I refer to my previous point, someone younger and hungrier is unlikely to want to sit on the bench behind a young hungry Watkins given we only play one up front. They are also highly unlikely to be able to have an impact as a stand in or replacement in games, that takes a morr established player.

Yeah, I think Benteke has accepted his role as a player who spends a lot of time on the bench nowadays. We want to straddle the line between a player who can fill in and do a job and one who doesn't mind sitting on the bench for stretches and Benteke currently fits that bill. Really the only stumbling block is the wages, which is why it probably won't happen.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Yeah, I think Benteke has accepted his role as a player who spends a lot of time on the bench nowadays. We want to straddle the line between a player who can fill in and do a job and one who doesn't mind sitting on the bench for stretches and Benteke currently fits that bill. Really the only stumbling block is the wages, which is why it probably won't happen.

I agree don’t see it happening at all, I just struggle to think of many better options that are both realistic and would be effective. 

It isn’t a criticism of the clubs approach by any means but I at times wish they would be a little less measured and mid to long term in their thinking in favour of the odd player that could make a quick short term impact.

I can’t knock the strategy so far though it is sensible but the illogical fan in me craves more immediate impacts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

There’s a whole world of players out there. We could probably take a chance on 2 or 3 players for what Benteke would cost.

• Like 2

Â